Incoming call w/ V551

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Incoming call w/ V551

Hi, I've recently paired 2 moto V551s with the HFL. The problem is that when I get an incoming call, the HFL rings, but so does the phone. Is there a way that the phone can be silent when paired with the HFL? I've looked on the phone to see if there is a setting, but I couldn't find anything.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:58 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Same Deal. Same phone, same issue...and hey same car. Perhaps if you try putting the phone on silent or vibrate...I'd expect the HFL to still ring.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:01 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TampaMike
Same Deal. Same phone, same issue...and hey same car. Perhaps if you try putting the phone on silent or vibrate...I'd expect the HFL to still ring.
hey, thanx

by the way that looks just like my car. same lower grill kit.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:23 AM
Pro

Why is it a problem that the phone rings too?
Old 07-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My solution was to set the V551 to vibrate first, then ring. This way, the HFL rings during the vibrate cycle, and I can pick up the call.

BTW, do you guys get the battery strength displayed? That's the only thing I am missing with my V551/TL pair.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:02 PM
Racer

The Moto V551 does not display the Battery Meter on HFL. But overall, I am very happy with this phone and how it integrates with the TL. I do get all caller IDs on the MID.

Just curious..where you keep your phone? I put my in the center console bin, the lower one in front of the shifter, next to the power port. It must have some interference with the TL stereo head unit as it sometimes creates a slight 'buzz' through the stereo when HFL is engaged.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:43 PM
Racer

I have that buzz issue too. I hate it, so I keep the phone either in the center console under right elbow or even on the passenger seat. It has to be farther away to not buzz.

With my phone, it can be silent, but it will still ring if it's hooked up via bluetooth. I think there are diff ring setting for BT than for when it's not using BT. I haven't investigated further b/c I really don't care much.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:53 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Scott in Houston
I have that buzz issue too. I hate it, so I keep the phone either in the center console under right elbow or even on the passenger seat. It has to be farther away to not buzz.
I keep the phone in the front lower console next to the power outlet and don't get any buzz with V551.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:13 PM
Racer

It depends on the carrier you have in the area. Some have signals that create this buzz and some don't. Around here, Cingular creates the buzz. Verizon doesn't.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TampaMike
The Moto V551 does not display the Battery Meter on HFL. But overall, I am very happy with this phone and how it integrates with the TL. I do get all caller IDs on the MID.

Just curious..where you keep your phone? I put my in the center console bin, the lower one in front of the shifter, next to the power port. It must have some interference with the TL stereo head unit as it sometimes creates a slight 'buzz' through the stereo when HFL is engaged.
OK, my lack of battery meter is not the exception.

I also have the caller ID on the MID, along with signal strength, which is displayed on the LCD panel above the radio. This BT integration in the TL really is sweet!

I keep my phone on my belt. If I run out of juice, then I have the charging cord up from the lower console box up to the upper level tray. Yes, I sometimes get the buzz whenever I am handling the phone, but not when it is on my belt or sitting while charged in the upper console tray.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:04 AM
Racer

Yepper, we have the same situation. I did not expect it was unique to me. The buzz is, I agree, a product of Cingular (my cell carrier). I even get buzz from the TV, computer speakers, etc when the phone is too close and an incoming call is detected. I can often 'predict' a call when I hear a light buzz from my computer (my phone is usually sitting next to my keyboard in the office), then the phone lights up about 2 seconds afterwards.

I only have caller ID and signal strength on the MID. Navi models do not display in the panel above the radio (the Navi screen). But there is a phone icon displayed in the LCD atop of the dash (where the clock is). It is kinda odd how Moto has not packaged these features more standardly in the newer, higher end phones. My V551 displays all Caller IDs (numbers only), but I hear from some people the V3 RAZR only displays Caller IDs of HFL stored #s. Yet it shows the Batter Meter.

One thing I have noticed with the V551 is the Bluetooth sucks the battery down in a day. Usually not a problem as I have a desktop charger in my office. But should I have a late evening call and do not charge overnight, that sucker is dead the next morning (when Bluetooth is left on). I made myself a shortcut on the V551 to flip on & off the Bluetooth when I approach and leave the TL in the garage.

Go figure. Both the V551 and the TL have way more features and technology than I will ever master & use.