Image Dynamics CTX65CS. Anyone try these?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Image Dynamics CTX65CS. Anyone try these?

I'm about to pull the trigger on them. Reviews are great and put them in class with some of the $300- $1,000 speakers. Supposedly a great SQ speaker. Midbass is supposed to be extremely strong. Tweeters are slik dome which is the sound I like. Has anyone used them in a TL?

If anyone is interested, I'll probably sell the 2 Infinity 63.7s, 1021 tweeters, and the center speaker in original boxes very cheap.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:59 PM
Team Owner

Well, I couldn't help myself. I found an amazing price, so good that I'm going to be nervous I got ripped off until they arrive. Can't find a single negative review and I've searched for hours.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck! Let us know how they are!
Old 10-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
image dynamics is a great company u cant go wrong with them!
Old 11-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Team Owner

I can't believe I forgot to write a follow up on these.

My first impression is the tweeters are more detailed than the Infinities but not as harsh. In certain songs I instinctively braced myself for parts when the tweeter would scream at me but with these, they're just smooth, I can listen to them at high volumes for hours without fatiguing my ears.

The woofers are supposed to have great midbass. At first they were just a little better than the Infinities but not too impressive. After a month of use, they have tons of midbass. I didn't know speakers have a break-in period but it looks like they do.

I can listen to these with my subs shut off and they sound great. Vocals are clear and crisp. Drums actually have impact. They have tons of excursion for a 6.5" In fact, on long trips I find myself shutting the subs off more and more.

IMO, nothing compares in the price range. If you're looking for good detail, no harshness, and good midbass, these are for you. I like them more than the high end JL ZRs and all of the Focals I've heard. My listening preference is soft but detailed tweets, so if you like the harsh metal tweets (like many of my friends), these are not for you.

A word of advice, even though they're rated at 100watts rms, I would run at least 150 rms. I bridged my amp to get the 150 watts and they sound much better. Some are powering them with 300 rms without problems. They seem to be a little power hungry so I don't recommend them with the stock amp.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Traveling the country

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BukvaMan
image dynamics is a great company u cant go wrong with them!

+1

I have one of there older DVC 12" I have been using for several years with out any issue. To this day it is a clean hitting sub.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:08 PM
iScrape going into

I must of missed this thread, my buddy has those in his car. They are awesome awesome awesome can't get over how good they sound. And yeah your defiantely right he can turn his subs off and they sound just increadible.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,012 Likes on 14,516 Posts
Hey I hate cars...are these speakers still going strong?
I need somewhere local I can try and hear these. I settled on some used kickers but was disappointed with them. Waiting on some feedback to pull the trigger on these myself. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jeremy.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Hey I hate cars...are these speakers still going strong?
I need somewhere local I can try and hear these. I settled on some used kickers but was disappointed with them. Waiting on some feedback to pull the trigger on these myself. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jeremy.
Still very happy with them and abusing them running full range sometimes. I have no problem recommending them to people especially if you want a detailed but not harsh tweeter. I truly think they're the best in this price range but of course personal preference varies.

I was thinking of going with a non CSWBiggs approved setup just because I get bored and car audio is a challenge for me or maybe I'm car audio challenged. I was looking at some old school SQ competition cars and some of the 10" and 12" midbass drivers caught my attention. I've wanted to try a 10" midbass for a long time now. I want to try horns too but that's several years worth of research away at my current level.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:08 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Still very happy with them and abusing them running full range sometimes. I have no problem recommending them to people especially if you want a detailed but not harsh tweeter. I truly think they're the best in this price range but of course personal preference varies.

I was thinking of going with a non CSWBiggs approved setup just because I get bored and car audio is a challenge for me or maybe I'm car audio challenged. I was looking at some old school SQ competition cars and some of the 10" and 12" midbass drivers caught my attention. I've wanted to try a 10" midbass for a long time now. I want to try horns too but that's several years worth of research away at my current level.
shame on you!

-Jason
Old 01-20-2010, 10:00 AM

Thank you very much for the review man...DEF. making me want to give these a try. I DO want the detail but sometimes find myself having ringing in my ear and getting headaches from running the oem tweeter but giving it some power. The highs are very clear and crisp but almost too "in your face". For the price...these seem the way to go. Although from reading your previous posts...I'd have to sacrifice powering the rear 2 speakers so that I'd be able to bridge my amp and hit them with 170 watts RMS each to sound right.

Let me know how that 10" midbass goes for you...that sounds interesting. I don't know why I picture horns being way too loud and harsh.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:56 AM

Ihate, check this listing out...I don't know if it's uncool to post an ebay link but I am not affiliated with the link so who knows. Looks like a SERIOUS midbass driver to match your fronts! Maybe pop these in the rear deck. Only problem I'd see is that they ALL seem like power hungry speakers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 05-26-2010, 03:27 AM
1st TL-S on air in

im looking into getting these. I just a one question though. Are you guys using the crossover or letting the stock head unit control it? Also if you are using the crossovers where did you mount them?
Old 05-26-2010, 07:04 AM

I would venture to guess they are running crossovers to ensure the right frequency goes to each of the components.
I ended up backing off and just dealing with what I had for the time being. I still have these on my wish list but it wasn't pressing because the sound in my car is good enough for now.

J.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:18 PM
1st TL-S on air in

I would venture to guess they are running crossovers to ensure the right frequency goes to each of the components.
I ended up backing off and just dealing with what I had for the time being. I still have these on my wish list but it wasn't pressing because the sound in my car is good enough for now.

J.
what are you using for rear doors and deck? I want to go with either a 2-way or 3-way coaxial speaker. Are there any benefits of going with those or should i be looking in to components for the whole car? I know for the fronts i will be going with the ID Ctx65cs since the reviews on those speakers are nothing but good.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:04 PM

Honestly man, I've had the REAL car audio gurus (the ones that made me think my car sucks because I used to only focus on loud...lol) tell me that the real way to appreciate it is to go active fronts only (component).
I'm too used to rear fill. I have cheap infinity reference that have made it thru 3 of my cars to this one. They get the job done. I am using NO (or small oem whatever is hidden away in the car to begin with) crossover and stock tweeter and hifonics mid I always thouht was blown before I realized it was a bad crossover. The sound is decent enough...but when something goes, the ID's will be the way I will go.

The quick answer...i THINK you should spend your money on a quality amp and wires and don't waste on TOO high end on the rear...and keep it simple...2 or 3 way coax just for fill.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:55 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Honestly man, I've had the REAL car audio gurus (the ones that made me think my car sucks because I used to only focus on loud...lol) tell me that the real way to appreciate it is to go active fronts only (component).
I'm too used to rear fill. I have cheap infinity reference that have made it thru 3 of my cars to this one. They get the job done. I am using NO (or small oem whatever is hidden away in the car to begin with) crossover and stock tweeter and hifonics mid I always thouht was blown before I realized it was a bad crossover. The sound is decent enough...but when something goes, the ID's will be the way I will go.

The quick answer...i THINK you should spend your money on a quality amp and wires and don't waste on TOO high end on the rear...and keep it simple...2 or 3 way coax just for fill.
Thats exactly what I wanted to know. It looks like ill probably do the ID's up front and use the inifinity kappa's for the rear door and deck. I am slowly figuring out the cost for my complete system. Thanks
Old 05-26-2010, 06:26 PM

Anytime man...
So if I understood correctly, you're custom fabbing to put your 2nd set of Kappa's into the rear doors?
Old 05-26-2010, 06:55 PM
1st TL-S on air in

my bad i didn't realize i said rear door It will only be the rear deck. Now my search for a sub and amps continues. I really want to do the Audison Bitone but i just cant see spending that much money on a signal processor so i think ill have to settle with the 3sixty.2. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:20 PM

Not a problem.
I know I'll get flamed for this...but have you thought about seeing how it sounds with no aftermarket processor first? Is the 3.Sixty the RF one? That one came highly recommended. I thought audiocontrol one too. Much cheaper. Right now I'm surviving with no processing. We'll see. Maybe one day I'll upgrade.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:18 PM
1st TL-S on air in

I have thought about no processor for now and just upgrading the speakers. But if i am going to take apart the door i might as well run the wires all the way to the truck and into an amp. Im in no rush to get the system done but i do think that i should have everything need to finish my system in 6 months. I want the rockford cause my friend who owns a audio shop can tune it for me.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:31 PM

Well, those are very good points.
Working on some work wheels right now...so my funds will be stopped on ALL other modding fronts.

Damn, does it ever end? I guess the alternative is getting bored with the car and losing your ass on a tradein/taxes. Lol.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:40 AM
1st TL-S on air in

it never ends. I am done with my exterior and it is time to move to the interior. Not sure if i am going to go all out with this but i do want to upgrade.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Banned

These bad boys are expensive. I might just have bite the bullet and get them.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:33 AM

IHC, my hifonics crap mids have finally bit the bullet (ish...front speaker has a loose lead that I soldered, but it is getting there)...
I'm still pretty sold on these, but wanted to know if you still dug them and how they're holding up almost 2 years later.

Thanks, man...
Was checking out some RF's in same pricerange from sonic, anyone compare these??!?!
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...52-S.html#tabs
Old 04-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Dude...send a PM instead of bumping an old thread
Old 04-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Team Owner

I ran them up until two months ago when I got the Dynaudio 342 set. They were flawless up until that point. Good midbass once broken in, the tweeters were smooth but detailed. They took a ton of abuse, I eventually ran them off of 220watts per channel and even ran them full range a few times and they never gave up.

The downsides would be a tweeter that got harsh under very high power but most people said it was the crossovers causing this, not the tweeter itself. If you are active it wouldn't be an issue. The mid could be more detailed. I had no way to eq it when I had these nor did I have the MS8 yet. With EQ, I might have been able to get it to sound a little better.

For the price range I still think they're great but I have no idea what else is out there anymore. I bought the Dyns and even thought they're not touted for midbass, they have a TON of it compared to the IDs. It makes me second guess what I thought a lot of midbass was back then but most others also said the IDs had good midbass.... I've heard good things about the RF you linked to but no personal experience.

You can find some great deals on the ID stuff now that the owners/creators left. Check out DIYMA in the classifieds. I saw the mids and crossovers going for $60 brand new and you can buy the tweeters separate. I might install mine in the rear but I'm undecided. If you're interested and I don't use mine, I'll give them to you for $20+shipping that way you're not out too much if you don't like them.

Oh, and be careful if you end up going to DIYMA, lots of very knowledgeable people over there but lots of brand loyal idiots that have never tried products they recommend and don't recommend.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
Dude...send a PM instead of bumping an old thread
Dude, a PM doesn't share the wealth and experience with others.
I did sent a PM also.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:32 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Massive rk6>

I haven't heard a comp that can touch those at that price point.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:34 AM

Badass review man, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you much IHC...you're man, as per usual.

The $20 plus shipping is for the tweeters?!?! I'd highly consider it if I can find the crossovers/mids on diyma for $60. Otherwise I will likely end up giving the RF Power's a go. Found them on ebay for $154 shipped. I'll see if Sonic will match.

Just checked google...holy mother f***, how much did you end up spending on these?!!?

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I ran them up until two months ago when I got the Dynaudio 342 set. They were flawless up until that point. Good midbass once broken in, the tweeters were smooth but detailed. They took a ton of abuse, I eventually ran them off of 220watts per channel and even ran them full range a few times and they never gave up.

The downsides would be a tweeter that got harsh under very high power but most people said it was the crossovers causing this, not the tweeter itself. If you are active it wouldn't be an issue. The mid could be more detailed. I had no way to eq it when I had these nor did I have the MS8 yet. With EQ, I might have been able to get it to sound a little better.

For the price range I still think they're great but I have no idea what else is out there anymore. I bought the Dyns and even thought they're not touted for midbass, they have a TON of it compared to the IDs. It makes me second guess what I thought a lot of midbass was back then but most others also said the IDs had good midbass.... I've heard good things about the RF you linked to but no personal experience.

You can find some great deals on the ID stuff now that the owners/creators left. Check out DIYMA in the classifieds. I saw the mids and crossovers going for $60 brand new and you can buy the tweeters separate. I might install mine in the rear but I'm undecided. If you're interested and I don't use mine, I'll give them to you for $20+shipping that way you're not out too much if you don't like them.

Oh, and be careful if you end up going to DIYMA, lots of very knowledgeable people over there but lots of brand loyal idiots that have never tried products they recommend and don't recommend.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Team Owner

Badass review man, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you much IHC...you're man, as per usual.

The $20 plus shipping is for the tweeters?!?! I'd highly consider it if I can find the crossovers/mids on diyma for $60. Otherwise I will likely end up giving the RF Power's a go. Found them on ebay for $154 shipped. I'll see if Sonic will match.

Just checked google...holy mother f***, how much did you end up spending on these?!!?
$20 for the whole ID set... I figured that way you could see if you like them and if not you won't be out too much money. I pulled one of the wires out of one of the tweeters. It's fixed but it looks funky. They're not worth anything in that state so $20 is reasonable. Worst case you would have the mids and crossovers and you can find the tweets for $50.

I got a good deal on the Dyns but still over a grand.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Drifting

i think these are the tweets
http://www.woofersetc.com/p-8483-ctx...-tweeters.aspx
Old 04-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Dude, a PM doesn't share the wealth and experience with others.
I did sent a PM also.

Alright, alright. I was in a shit mood yesterday..my bad

Good review though. Maybe one of these days I'll get my RK6's in!
Old 04-30-2011, 10:40 PM

^^^we all have em!

IHC, your PM is full!

Let me know where to pay you (email address for paypal) and I'll gladly pay you the $20, paypal fee, shipping and maybe a few more bucks for your time. I appreciate the generous offer and would love to give them a whirl.

I don't mind the tweeter looking funny because I plan to make them fit in the stock location anyway under some sort of grill.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:55 PM

Hey IHC, your PM's are still full. Hate to bug you but still interested in this.

Ironically, I found these massive RK6's on ebay...on sonic, they wanted $309. I found them for $210 on ebay and offered $180 and what do you know...they friggin went for it!

So I won them. Let me know if anyone is interested in these...they are power hungry but I'm seriously considering going only with a bridged super strong front stage with the 12's for bass in the trunk. We shall see.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
I could use those Image Dynamics if you don't need them.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:41 PM

To be honest, I really didn't think the massive audio ebay people would accept such a low offer. I will likely resell them immediately because I've read they are SUPER power hungry, the tweeters might be too bright and the mid would require some serious cutting of the door.

So I'd still like to take IHC's offer up on these image dynamics and give them whirl.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

How much power do you have to give them? What amp are you using..

Also, the ID ctx65cs tweeter is most likely just as bright as the Massive tweet ("most likely"...never heard the ID's so I can't say for sure) Most say the RK6 tweeter isn't bright, just loud over the mids. Doesn't surprise me they accepted $180 though, they've been selling for $180 new over at DIYMA for a few weeks now. I haven't taken apart my door yet due to the MDF rings I ordered still being shipped. There is an Ebay Seller that has decided to make 3/4" MDF rings with 1/4" recessed to mount the RK6's in. They look VERY nice and are about $18 shipped to your door. I'd worry more about properly deadening and sealing your doors before selling. Why not try them out in there first? With a 3/4" baffle, I doubt you'll have to cut much and the depth should be fine without a doubt from what I hear.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Drifting

I'd keep em...
Old 05-02-2011, 08:57 PM

I probably will...
I have a hifonics zeus...4 ohm 85 x 4 or 170 by 2 channel, which is what I'll probably try.

Do you have the ebay link please? I was thinking about this, I had made my own baffles with 1/2" plywood but wouldn't mind cleaning it up and using the right type of baffle. Also heard molding clay (non hardening) helps seal everything up.

J.

I will likely give them a try and/or keep em but for the price that IHC offered me the ID's I'd grab them too...they'd likely be a huge improvement over the old infinity I have for rear fill or would try them out in the front too just to see if I like it.

Quick Reply: Image Dynamics CTX65CS. Anyone try these?