iLink, TVAndNav2Go - Best audio solution?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iLink, TVAndNav2Go - Best audio solution?

I am thinking about purchasing the Valor iLink & Dom's plug and play for my 05 TL w/ Nav. I've got a few questions:
  1. What is the best aux input solution? I've read about a few on here but some posts are older and I'm not sure what the best solution is currently.
  2. I found the Valor iLink online. On Valor's web site, however, they only show the iLink-L2 but it says "coming soon". Is this the same as the iLink, or a newer version with better features? If so, what is the difference?

Just want to make sure I order everything I'm going to need so I can spend a day getting this all taken care of. Your time and advice is greatly appreciated. I've read so much on here that it's become a bit confusing and like I said earlier, some posts are so old that I'm not sure if the knowledge mentioned in them still applies today.

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2006, 10:40 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From looking at the iLink I'm not sure if I really like it as a solution. I don't like the remote to use to scroll through the playlist. It does not play mp4 files, in other words no videos from the ipod video if you have it.

I currently love my setup. I have the USAspec for my audio in and ipod music playback. Then I have the DOM unit with a hardwired ipod av cable so I can play videos from my ipod video. This is great, but it doesn't bother me than much that I can't see the tracks so much right now.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
1. I think the PIE X3 and USA Spec are top contenders right now followed closely by Blitzafe's two products (M-Link and HON/AUX). Just depends what you want/need.

2. I noticed that the last time I was on Valor's website a few months ago. No details have been released officially (on the site), so I guess time will tell. It should be a newer version though.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lembowski
From looking at the iLink I'm not sure if I really like it as a solution. I don't like the remote to use to scroll through the playlist. It does not play mp4 files, in other words no videos from the ipod video if you have it.

I currently love my setup. I have the USAspec for my audio in and ipod music playback. Then I have the DOM unit with a hardwired ipod av cable so I can play videos from my ipod video. This is great, but it doesn't bother me than much that I can't see the tracks so much right now.
Never thought about doing that. I haven't seen one in person, but it seems to me using the remote and nav screen would make it easier to navigate the iPod versus using the actual iPod itself. Even with the iLink solution, I'll still have the DOM unit and will be able to hardwire a video cable from the iPod to the DOM unit for video playblack the iLink doesn't support.

Where's the best place to buy the USAspec unit?
Old 12-05-2006, 07:57 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by datmrman
1. I think the PIE X3 and USA Spec are top contenders right now followed closely by Blitzafe's two products (M-Link and HON/AUX). Just depends what you want/need.

2. I noticed that the last time I was on Valor's website a few months ago. No details have been released officially (on the site), so I guess time will tell. It should be a newer version though.
What are the main differences between the PIE X3 and USA Spec? Would you recommend one over the other?
Old 12-05-2006, 08:02 AM
Advanced

Location: On the banks of a filthy river in east TX ruled by crooked cops, brazen women and pansexual cowboys.
Originally Posted by lembowski
It does not play mp4 files, in other words no videos from the ipod video if you have it.
I *think* the iLink can play video from video iPods. By this I mean in addition to playing video files (e.g. .AVI, .MPG, etc.) it can also support the "protected" videos one would download through iTunes. But please be aware, I personally have never tried to play a MP4 file with my iLink but this is what I was told when talking to Valor's support/development guy.
Originally Posted by iTISTIC
What is the best aux input solution? I've read about a few on here but some posts are older and I'm not sure what the best solution is currently.
The current iLink (1 generation) cannot support the 80GB video iPod, however the iLinkL2 (2nd generation) should. More information can be found on this thread.

But if the iLink could support the 80GB...

I went the route of using the Blitzsafe, Harmon Kardon's Drive+Play, Valor's iLink and DOM's unit to integrate the iPod into the car and am pleased with how it works.

I do like the iLink and am satisfied with using it for displaying video/picture multimedia. However, lembowski has a very good point about the remote issue; it can be cumbersome to use when driving, especially if you have a large music library.

In my case I use mainly the Drive+Play (D+P) to play music from my iPod as the interface is a bit easier (and less distracting) to use. But when I have other people in the car... or children I just hand the remote over to them and let them choose what they want to watch. Rarely do I use the iLink for audio when I am in the car by myself.

While the current iLink does not support the 80GB iPod it does support my old 40GB non-color one. After I upgraded iPods, I loaded up my old iPod with a selection of videos and simply leave it plugged into the iLink while the 80GB'er is the one I carry with me, use and plug into the D+P.

If you're interested in this, more details can be found on this thread.

Good luck

Old 12-05-2006, 08:05 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Edward
[indent]I *think* the iLink can play video from video iPods. By this I mean in addition to playing video files (e.g. .AVI, .MPG, etc.) it can also support the "protected" videos one would download through iTunes. But please be aware, I personally have never tried to play a MP4 file with my iLink but this is what I was told when talking to Valor's support/development guy.The current iLink (1 generation) cannot support the 80GB video iPod, however the iLinkL2 (2nd generation) should. More information can be found on this thread.
Yeah I thought that the iLink did not play mp4, but played another format. If I remember correctly it would play through the valor, but not on the videos screen. So it was either 1 or the other
Old 12-05-2006, 11:47 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by iTISTIC
What are the main differences between the PIE X3 and USA Spec? Would you recommend one over the other?
PIE X3 = 3 aux inputs

USA Spec = iPod connector + 1 set of stereo RCAs

Which one is better? It depends on what you plan on doing. I thought I remember seeing a comparison thread on here somewhere.

More details here: 3G TL Audio & Electronics FAQ
Old 12-07-2006, 11:11 AM
10th Gear

can the PIE X3 be use to add an amp??
Old 12-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Back in the saddle..again

Apple just released a software update for all the video iPod's and it is not compatible with the iLink. Call Valor's tech support before you buy and ask them if is compatible with your iPod model and software version.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:49 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jthmmv
can the PIE X3 be use to add an amp??
It adds 3 aux INPUTS, not outputs to be connected to an amp.