If you have a 2004 TL, upgrade your HFL!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Long thread, tried to skim it. Does the new HFL upgrade allow your phonebook to transfer via bluetooth to the car. I hear the 07 has this features. A friends BMW has it and it is very convenient.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been trying to get my HFL replaced on my 04 since the first few months after I bought the car and went to two dealers, even called Acura customer service. But no luck, Honda Canada is a lot harder to deal with... Too bad my warranty doesn't apply in the US...
Old 06-24-2007, 10:09 AM
GOLDEN NUGGET

That sucks, my BT works very well now since it was replaced next last week.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:36 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by moreace
Does the new HFL upgrade allow your phonebook to transfer via bluetooth to the car. I hear the 07 has this features.
No. The HFL upgrade (as you put it it) is just a replacement of the 1st 65,000 or so HFL units produced up through August 2004 as there was a flaw in the design that they finally corrected. The phonebook transfer is exclusive to '07.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:27 PM
GOLDEN NUGGET

That is correct..I have an 04 with the new HFL and it doesn't transfer the phone book.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lembowski
Just took mine in last week for some rattles and mentioned this TSB, they ordered the unit for me. Gonna install it sometime this week. They told me the rattles in the rear deck can not be fixed, but the guy told me if I brought in some dynamat he would lay it all down for me. So off to get the dynamat tonight.

Which San Diego dealer is fixing yours? Kearny Mesa--despite my request--refused to fix it claiming it was properly working; it did work better on that particular day; it is now back to its same old lame tricks. need your advice
Old 06-25-2007, 08:00 AM
GOLDEN NUGGET

My dealer called me the day they were looking into my HFL. I didn't want to take the chance that on this day it would work, so the name I gave them I didn't have loaded into the system. So when they called out the name to call, it only called out some crazy numbers. I was having trouble with the voice recongnition and the sound quality on the other end. They replaced the unit since they couldn't get it to work. Yes, it's a little white lie, but what the hell. I've been screwed enough times by Acura over the past couple of weeks.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Pro

I just saw this post and I'm thinking of trying to get my local dealer to do this.

The problem however, is that my TL has 75,000 miles. It was a pain to get the rear bump stops replaced with TSB in hand. I doubt that they will do this TSB without giving me some sort of grief.

Has anyone here gotten this done after their warranty expired?
Old 06-27-2007, 08:19 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by HuKaShI
I just saw this post and I'm thinking of trying to get my local dealer to do this.

The problem however, is that my TL has 75,000 miles. It was a pain to get the rear bump stops replaced with TSB in hand. I doubt that they will do this TSB without giving me some sort of grief.

Sorry to hijack but what is the TSB for the rear bumper? What is it for and what the is the TSB #?
Old 06-27-2007, 10:02 AM
GOLDEN NUGGET

Originally Posted by HuKaShI

I think you can still get it done if it's out of warranty. I have an extended warranty, but the service rep said that didn't matter sinces it's a TSB. Fight for it.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:30 AM
8th Gear

Thumbs up

Greetings to all. Perhaps a little off the subject, but can anyone tell me how I can get the older frimware for my SE w600i Cell. Currently not getting sound with My HFL Any sites anyone know of that would have RBA7007? those that were posted on some of the earlier forums seem to not have a definitive place were i could download the older firmware. I Tried to go to SE's site check for the older firmware and did not see there either.

Thanks Gents Much appreciated.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Pro

Well, I'm taking the car in tomorrow morning to have the HFL diagnosed.

I'm pretty sure that they will say that their is nothing wrong because as we all know, our cars behave when at the dealer and misbehave when we are not.

So, I'm just hoping for the best.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:29 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought mine used at over 60k and my extended warantee from Infinity does not cover luxury or high tech electronics (sad face).

The guy at Acura told me it would be 150ish. I am not sure its worth forking over the cash for that. Bummer huh.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:57 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by enzyme
I bought mine used at over 60k and my extended warantee from Infinity does not cover luxury or high tech electronics (sad face).

The guy at Acura told me it would be 150ish. I am not sure its worth forking over the cash for that. Bummer huh.
Take it to another dealer, if you have read through this thread completely you will see that several dealerships have just installed the new bluetooth for people out of warranty. Oh by the way, $150 would be a steal, the part alone is $460 so I would make sure they know what they are taking about replacing because it might not be what you were thinking and that could be why they will not replace it for free.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:00 AM
Instructor

I am getting the HFL and the Rear Bump Stops replaced Monday. I brought in the TSB for each of these and they didn't even test the HFL, as I had my phone the whole time. They just ordered the part.
I also lucked out in that they are covering a torn CV boot under warranty as well.

Advice- Bring in the TSB especially if your warranty is up.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:01 PM
GOLDEN NUGGET

Originally Posted by Ricky Vaughn
I am getting the HFL and the Rear Bump Stops replaced Monday. I brought in the TSB for each of these and they didn't even test the HFL, as I had my phone the whole time. They just ordered the part.
I also lucked out in that they are covering a torn CV boot under warranty as well.

Advice- Bring in the TSB especially if your warranty is up.
Make sure you take a good look at your back seat after the installation of the stops. They have to pull out the entire seat to get to it. Mine was left with grease all over my interior. I complained and they detailed the entire interior.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GUMP
Make sure you take a good look at your back seat after the installation of the stops. They have to pull out the entire seat to get to it. Mine was left with grease all over my interior. I complained and they detailed the entire interior.

Agreed. My back interior was filthy after my initial visit and I went and got the service rep and showed him and he ran back inside inside all heated. Immediately, some Mexican guy ( no offense meant) came out and cleaned it up real quick in front of me while the service rep was telling me that when I bring it back in for the work to actually be performed (Monday) they will include a full interior detail.
I will let you guys know how it works out, but believeme, that car best be gleaming inside and out when I leave.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:06 AM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
sweet my vin falls into that group, time to go get it done!
Old 06-30-2007, 07:03 AM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
to add: i always get that 808 crap
Old 06-30-2007, 11:51 AM
Pro

Can someone tell be the TSB # for the rear bump stops?
Old 06-30-2007, 04:30 PM
Pro

Nevermind I found it, I cant do it anyways because my car is lowered.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
My dealer refused to do it for me!

I tried to have my HFL replaced, but the dealer refused. They said because I had some aftermarket stuff done to my audio system that voided my warranty. I thought TSB's are not warranty issues.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:57 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by t0talacuratl
I tried to have my HFL replaced, but the dealer refused. They said because I had some aftermarket stuff done to my audio system that voided my warranty. I thought TSB's are not warranty issues.
TSB's are not warranty issues. If your '04 TL's VIN # falls within the range on the TSB, they have to replace it.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:44 PM
TL GOD

i am kinda new to dis forum and the whole acura tl scene. i have a 04 AM, i was wondering if i need a navi system to make the HFL work because as of right now, setting up the HFL will not work. PLZ HELP ME!!!
Old 07-10-2007, 07:34 AM
Pro

Unbreakables, check out www.handsfreelink.com all of the answers that you need should be there. The answer to your other question is no you do not need navi to use the HFL, all you need is a compatible bluetooth phone, pairing the car and your phone should be really easy.

On the plus side the dealer installed my new HFL yesterday and the new HFL seems to pick up my voice better now and it gets it right every time that I have tried to use it. The dealer didnt give me any trouble at all and all they had to do was order the part a couple of weeks back.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder if this HFL upgrade would fix the problem I'm having with my handsfree & Sprint Treo 700p. The phone pairs fine but I cannot hear any incoming voice. I've tried every method out (reset the phone, system clear HFL, reset car battery, you name it).
Old 07-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by TiggerL
I wonder if this HFL upgrade would fix the problem I'm having with my handsfree & Sprint Treo 700p. The phone pairs fine but I cannot hear any incoming voice. I've tried every method out (reset the phone, system clear HFL, reset car battery, you name it).

Couldn't hurt to try...plus it's free.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Honda Fan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Honestly, I am leaning toward no with regard to whether or not the replacing the HFL will make the phone work. Having had multiple phones and multiple firmware revisions of those phones, I'd recommend having Sprint update the firmware in your Treo.

I currently use a Pocket PC phone - worked fine, but since I updated the firmware, now I get the battery level and signal level in my HFL display. Before it didn't, though with another phone I had, the Sony K750i, it did. Thing about the Sony was that if you updated the Sony to a really new firmware, it was reported to not work with the HFL at all.

Bottom line - its probably the phone, not the HFL - the software in the phone has so much to do with it. Though its possible the HFL is defective - if it works just fine with another phone, the fact that you cannot hear voice probably is a software glitch in the Treo. Plus, getting Sprint to flash your phone will be alot easier than getting your dealer to replace the HFL. If you do end up going to the dealer, I wouldnt mention anything about your problem with respect to the Treo as I doubt they'd replace the HFL for that. When going to the dealer, I'd stick to the TSB and say it doesn't recognize your numbers. When I got mine replaced, thats what I did and they didn't hassle me over it - and now it recognizes my voice alot better, which is what the fix was designed to do.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Pro

OK so I have my car over at the dealer to have the HFL unit replaced.

However, looking at the TSB now, I see that for cars with navigation like mine, there is a delay box added to the Nav system. They did not order this for my car. Is it something that is necessary? Will the HFL work fine without this Delay Box?

I don't want to make another appointment and waste time at the dealer or even try to have the dealer do this for me if it isn't necessary.

The previous TSB didn't have this part. I'm sure some of you got the TSB without it done as well.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Pro

So I went to pick up my car and told them about the delay box.

They had the part so they installed it for me on the spot. They mentioned that they didn't know why that the HF needed that part. The service advisor said that it is a fix for the temperature gauge on the MID. Now, I don't understand why a fix for the temp gauge would be behind the navigation screen.

Does anyone know the real purpose of the delay box but on behind the navigation screen in this TSB?
Old 07-12-2007, 02:26 PM
GOLDEN NUGGET

I got my HFL unit replaced about 3 weeks ago. The reception on the other end is still terrible. I get complaints all the time...I'm wondering..when you guys got yours replaced, did you have to re-pair the phone or re-enter your phone book?? When I picked up my car, my phone was already connected and the phone book was intact. I would have thought that the phone would have to be re-paired...I'm starting to think that they didn't replace the unit and only bs'ed me....
Old 07-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Pro

I'm gonna have to go with "they BS'ed you" because I had to re-pair my phone and do my phone book all over again.

My phone which worked well before the fix seems to be having a problem now. I can't hang up a call from the steering wheel controls. I have a D600. Anyone else have this issue? I'm going to look for a firmware upgrade for my phone.

So the new HFL made things worse than before. You win some, you lose some.

IF all else fails, I'll just sell my phone and get a different one.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Pro

I got my HFL unit replaced about 3 weeks ago. The reception on the other end is still terrible. I get complaints all the time...I'm wondering..when you guys got yours replaced, did you have to re-pair the phone or re-enter your phone book?? When I picked up my car, my phone was already connected and the phone book was intact. I would have thought that the phone would have to be re-paired...I'm starting to think that they didn't replace the unit and only bs'ed me....
I also think that they were BSing you, I am 100% sure had to repair my phone and once again add my phone book. I would be pissed and call acura corporate. I might also go to another dealership and tell them what the story is and see if they can take the bluetooth module out and check and see if it was replaced. If it wasnt i would go back there with it in my hand and say screw you guys, tell them to fix it, and then make a complaint with the BBB.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:22 AM
GOLDEN NUGGET

I'm calling them this morning..I've had so many problems with these guys the last 2 months. I've had it...I'm seriously thinking that this is my last Acura product.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:35 PM
GOLDEN NUGGET

They told me they have no clue how that could happen. They insist it was replaced...I said that seems awfully suspicious. I bring it back in next week. We'll see.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Pro

They told me they have no clue how that could happen. They insist it was replaced...I said that seems awfully suspicious. I bring it back in next week. We'll see.
Thats BS and I would make a BBB complaint.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Go TL it on the mountain!

Originally Posted by ChrisMc73
My vin falls in the range! Sweet, cause I'm over my 40k warranty now.

I have the BlackBerry Pearl and I put it in discovery mode and I can't get the car to find it when I use the pair command...so I hope this will fix it?
any luck? I am having the same issue.. I just got the pearl...

It's on the approved list, so I called Acura and set up an appointment. I hope it works..
Old 08-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Pro

So GUMP, whats the word on the stealership actually putting a new bluetooth module in your car? Just another thought, if they did indeed replace it your voice shouldnt still be in the module where you say the name of the phone, they couldnt transfer that.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:47 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How do I know if this has already been done to my car?
Old 08-03-2007, 07:47 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Timmahh
How do I know if this has already been done to my car?
I dont know if there is a way to check but you you have problems with your bluetooth not hearing you right? I know your car is like 2 days old but still. If you say the number and you get something like 888 or 808 and you have said a 7 digit number, something is wrong. Then you get it replaced. How many miles on your car (cant exactly remember your post about getting the car)? If youre over 50k the dealership might not cover it under warranty. Oh yea, while your at it you should have them fix everything that has a TSB for your car.

Quick Reply: If you have a 2004 TL, upgrade your HFL!