I think my amp died :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think my amp died :(

I have an audison 5.1 amp. As I was driving yesterday the amp just cut off. It went from playing to nada. No noise, pop, etc. The oem head unit still displays everything so it's not the fuse to the HU (I checked it). I get power to the amp and the remote wire (tested with volt meter). No lights on the amp come on. No power, no overload, no protect mode. Ground is good. When I measure the voltage at the amp power it is ~8 to 9 and the remote is ~8. I don't know if the there is a load on the connection somewhere else (supposedly this amp can detect that?) and it is not enough juice all of the sudden to power the amp and remote or if the amp took a big dump on me. Any thoughts?

I must be the king of run on sentences.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:25 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

The amp may have a low voltage cut out. 8 or 9 volts sounds really low. Remove the amp from the power circuit and measure the voltage at the supply fuses. Also there might be two power lines one for battery voltage and one for radio power which will in turn switch the battery voltage on. You are going to need 12-14 volts. Are you sure you're reading voltage ?
Old 02-18-2007, 07:20 AM
Intermediate

I retested voltage again. With the car off I get 12 volts to the power cable. When I turn the ignition on or start the car the voltage drops to 8 or 9. However when I remove the remote wire from the amp voltage jumps back up to 12 on the power cable. After I removed the remote wire i tested it's voltage. It crept up from 8 to 12 over the period of a minute (slowly but surely). When I reattached the remote to the amp and tested the voltage again, it dropped to 8 on both the power and remote wires. Any thoughts?
Old 02-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Intermediate

Well I took the back seat off, both bottom and back, and now I get correct voltage to the amp and it turns on. I guess maybe a wire got pinched behind the seat? I don't know. Now after I plugged everything back in to the amp I get no sound. Are the Rca's supposed to carry a voltage? I believe they are but I don't have any through the rca's. Ahhh. The joys of car stereo. Off to search for causes of this now.