I-160: USA Spec Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 10:58 PM

Received 5,935 Likes on 2,927 Posts
I-160: USA Spec Install

I have posted in a couple of other threads regarding the installation of a USA Spec iPod interface in my TL recently; however, I didn't have picture...until now.

TL Auxiliary Cable Install PDF-Click Here!

First, though, I am copying some of the text with my thoughts on the install process, then the pictures:

First, you need a good set of instructions on how to get access to the back of the stereo head unit. Fortunately, we are members of the best forum in the world and those instructions are available. I found a great document that walked me through the process step by step with pictures (many thanks for forum member “BrandonClaps” for putting this together). Here’s the link:

http://home.usadatanet.net/bclaps/TLAuxcableinstall.pdf

A couple of notes about this process:

1) The butter knife wrapped in a rag method works well. However, when I was removing the aluminum piece, I found that the most difficult part came when I reached the last couple of clips at the top. Not easy to remove, and I was VERY paranoid that I would break something. However, with a little effort, they finally popped loose.

2) When you go to make space by loosening the panel below the steering column, I found it best to remove it in its entirety to get it out of the way. There are three electrical hookups on the lower left side (from sitting in the driver’s seat) which need to be unhooked. They’re very easy to remove – each has a little tab on one side that just needs to be pushed in and they pull right out.

3) When you get everything off and finally can see to the back of the head unit, the white connector that is closest to you on the back of the head unit is the one you have to unhook and hook onto the Y-connector that comes with the USA Spec module. Unless you have relatively small hands (like I do), you may need to fashion some type of tool to pop this out and to create enough leverage to plug the new connector into the back of the head unit.

Second, I found the easiest placement solution for the USA Spec module to be under the driver’s seat (like many others here). The cable from the back of the head unit is plenty long to run to this spot and can be easily hidden behind the main console panel (which you will have already removed as part of the process). I then just ran the iPod cable up through the bottom of the arm-rest compartment just like “BrandonClaps” did in his walk-thru above (I used a LeatherMan to cut out a notch in the panel at the bottom for the cable). Once again, the cable is plenty long to run up through here and allow for plenty of play for placement of the iPod.

Third, don’t bother trying to drill or screw the USA Spec module into the floor below the driver’s seat. Get some industrial strength Velcro and it won’t go anywhere.

FYI – You won’t need to do anything special to get the head unit to recognize the presence of the iPod adaptor. It will immediately think you’ve attached a second CD-Changer. As you use the “Mode” button on your steering wheel, you’ll find that you have an additional option after “CD/DVD”; you’ll now see “CD-C”. Just plug in your iPod and you’re ready to go.

Where the USA Spec is mounted with Velrcro:

Where the iPod Touch rides:

Storing the Touch (notice the notch Acura left us for the cord when its on the drink holder cover):

Where the connection comes through (note the small notch I cut):

What the NAV screen looks like when the USA Spec is in use:

Pros: Direct input, steering wheel controls, excellent sound, convenience
Cons: Doesn't pause when HFL is activated, I'm having skipping issues (arrgghh)
Overall: VERY HAPPY (need to figure out the skipping thing)
The following users liked this post:
Psilocide (01-08-2019)
Old 02-01-2008, 11:45 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
Storing the Touch (notice the notch Acura left us for the cord when its on the drink holder cover):
Man, I never knew that was there. I always thought you had to have the iPod in the top compartment of the center console!

Clean install, BTW!
Old 02-01-2008, 11:51 PM

^^Thanks for the compliment on the install.

Regarding that notch - I didn't know it was there either! I was trying to figure out how I was going to get the arm rest to close when I had the Touch out; I looked down, and there it was! I was VERY pleasantly surprised. Many thanks to the engineers at Acura who had some foresight on this.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:36 PM

Just to consolidate some of the information on these installs into one spot, here are a couple of good comments about installation:

From Budman231 (https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...39#post1945239) Post #51:

Just a word of caution. Don't pry all these parts loose if the interior temp is less than 50-60 degrees. Plastic becomes very brittle at cold temps and you will break off some spring clip tabs for sure. Crank up the heat in the car to hi and let it run blast for 20 mins before you start (depending on where you live of course). In the Northeast and other cold regions this is a must !!
From fish008 (https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...39#post1945239) Post #52:

I have a couple of thoughts on this install. The first thing you need to do is determine if you think that there is any reason you will need to get to the USASpec module any time after the install. The only reasons that I can think of are changing the switch from direct to playlist mode and connecting some other source (like sirus satellite radio, which wont matter soon) to the unit. If you know which mode you want (direct/playlist) and don't see any future need to plug anything into the USASpec unit your install becomes 10 times easier.
Also, this thread is a good help: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=USAspec

Hopefully, for the sake of future searches, this will help a bit.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:11 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USA Spec + ProClip = Good

Ok, so I installed the USA Spec HON2y in my car, 3GTL (2004).

It went smoothly and works well. Time will tell if I have the skipping issue, but so far, I haven't.

I decided to install the USA Spec under the steering wheel panel, in case I needed to pull it and do a swap for newer firmware at some point.

I followed the instructions as posted in the PDF above, but I had to pull the radio out a bit more, 'cause I have big hands. :-)

The only strange thing is that when I plug in my iPhone, I get the pop-up about "This accessory is not made to work with iPhone" -- I choose No (don't use Airplane mode) and everything seems to work fine.

(I will edit this post in a few minutes and add the pics).
Old 02-24-2008, 07:34 PM
10th Gear

USA Spec + ProClip = Good (Cont.)

{Sigh}

I only had 5 minutes to edit my post... oh well. here are the pics.

iPhone mounted on the dash:

Close up:

I ran the AUX from the HON2y into the center console:

Annoying popup:

I don't remember reading if anyone else had this issue or not...

So here's the total:
$25.00 ProClip iPhone Padded Holder #870168

$11.00 ProClip Vertical Extension Plate #213065 (so that my iPhone wouldn't block my airvent)

$30.00 ProClip Acura TL 2004 Center Mount #853464

$150.00 USA Spec HON2y (purchased at Crutchfield.com)
-----
$216, plus a few dollars here and there for shipping and tax, probably another $30 or $40 dollars.

A friend helped me install it, so I saved a bit there, but overall, very affordable, and IMHO very professional looking.

Enjoy!
Old 02-24-2008, 08:42 PM

DMoyes - thanks for adding to the install information in this thread. Glad some of this information helped out.

Regarding your placement of the iPhone, AcuraTL06 originally installed his up front and found some interference issues with his center speaker (he's using the Dice unit). Have you noticed any similar problems? See post #30 in this link: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...98#post1965798

BTW, this is my 500th POST!!!!
Old 02-25-2008, 12:50 AM
10th Gear

I've only had it installed since Saturday afternoon, and I didn't get to drive it today. :-(

But, it's been mounted there for almost a month, before I bought the HON2y, so I don't think I'll have any problems.

I do have an hour drive to a client tomorrow, so I'll see if there's any interference... but so far, it sounds great... I was worried, because I was used to hearing the GSM buzz through the tape deck occasionally.

I'll keep you informed.

Oh, and congrats on your 500th post!
Old 02-27-2008, 08:31 AM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
I found this on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...em360026145520 I want to do the adapter install in my 04 non-nav. Is this all I need for the install? Is this just as good as the Dice unit?
Old 02-27-2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by t0talacuratl
I found this on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...em360026145520 I want to do the adapter install in my 04 non-nav. Is this all I need for the install? Is this just as good as the Dice unit?
That's the same adapter I installed. However, I got mine for $109 from enfig.com (LINK)

Regarding your question, is it "as good as" the Dice unit - you need to decide which features are important to you, etc. There is no text option on the USA Spec. However, if you use the XM radio in your car, then you may not want the text option (which was the case for me). You'll find plenty of posts and threads here from people telling about the various features of each. Also, there's a member here on the forum (Nick@Dice) who works at Dice and is a big help to other members. You could PM him for some ideas as well.

Best of luck!
Old 02-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
Thanks for your help. I do want the option of text since I don't use my XM radio.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:42 AM
10th Gear

Update

Ok, I've been using it mounted this way for about a month now, and I haven't had the skipping issue, not even once.

Also, I haven't noticed any interference with the center speaker.

I do sometimes hear the GSM buzz, through the stereo, but it's very, very soft, and doesn't happen very often. I can only hear it when the music (or podcast) is very low, or sometimes between songs. Mostly I don't hear it, though.

Overall I am very happy with this solution and will strongly consider USA Spec in the future.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by DMoyes
Ok, I've been using it mounted this way for about a month now, and I haven't had the skipping issue, not even once.

Also, I haven't noticed any interference with the center speaker.

I do sometimes hear the GSM buzz, through the stereo, but it's very, very soft, and doesn't happen very often. I can only hear it when the music (or podcast) is very low, or sometimes between songs. Mostly I don't hear it, though.

Overall I am very happy with this solution and will strongly consider USA Spec in the future.
Thanks for posting an update.

I'm curious - did you set up your USA Spec in Hybrid mode or in the dedicated iPod control mode?
Old 03-29-2008, 02:58 AM
10th Gear

I'm curious - did you set up your USA Spec in Hybrid mode or in the dedicated iPod control mode?
I set it up in "Direct" mode... it seemed to make the most sense, since I wanted it mounted high, and I wanted to use the car's bluetooth for the phone, and see what was going on.

So, yeah, direct, I control it using the touch screen, but I can still skip forwards / backwards with the steering wheel control.

No matter what the stereo is set on (FM / AM / CD / XM) it switches to CDC when you plug in the iPhone, which works perfectly for me.

Also, if I have the iPhone on "paused playback" when I plug it in, it continues from there.

The "accessory not made for iPhone" screen goes away by itself after a few seconds if you don't touch it.

If you've just taken your iPhone off the charger in the morning, and you plug it in, it simply starts "All Songs" playing... but it doesn't do it in Shuffle mode.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:24 AM
Racer

so can you still use xm with this with navi?
Old 03-31-2008, 07:40 AM
08 NBP Type S Sucka !!

i think you can use XM but with no text on your cars radio
Old 03-31-2008, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by dechlin
so can you still use xm with this with navi?
Yes. XM works just fine with this version of the USA Spec module (it comes with the Y connector). You will NOT have text from the iPod, however. If that it important to you (to have text from the iPod), then you will need to look into the Dice Silverline module - but, you will have to choose between XM text or iPod text; you can't have both streaming text to the displays. You can still get SOUND from both, but not text.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
does the USASpec adapter works and charges the iphone.?
Old 05-22-2008, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by THTL
I know it definitely charges the iPod Touch...and I believe it charges the iPhone as well. From the posts of DMoyes above it definitely works with the iPhone.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:36 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by THTL
Yes, the USA Spec charges the iPhone perfectly. In fact, I almost never charge it at home anymore... I just use my dock for sync now.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:20 AM
fellow MASShole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well kit came in the mail yesterday ... this will be my project for the day
Old 05-25-2008, 12:11 PM
fellow MASShole

well im havin problems..

everythings installed but the head unit isnt recognizing the ipod ?? i have an 04 non nav

the funny thing is that i cant even get to the XM anymore??? the button doesnt even do anything

i removed the aux pin plugged it into the Y adapter and then plugged the USA unit into the back of the headunit ....

nothin ... any ideas??
Old 05-26-2008, 09:33 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MaCe
the funny thing is that i cant even get to the XM anymore??? the button doesnt even do anything

i removed the aux pin plugged it into the Y adapter and then plugged the USA unit into the back of the headunit ....

nothin ... any ideas??
Check all of your connections.

Try removing it completely, and see if XM comes back.

Make sure the unit is in Direct mode.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:31 PM
fellow MASShole

sorry for the slow reply .. turns out im an idiot the plug from the back of the headunit wasnt on all the way

everything is all set and working great ... 04 non navi only took about 40 min once i figured out what my problem was
Old 05-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Racer

got mine installed the other night! i love it. I actually went ahead and threw a slim PS2 under the driver seat while I had the dash apart! works like a champ! thanx for the great write up!
Old 05-28-2008, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by izmyttz
got mine installed the other night! i love it. I actually went ahead and threw a slim PS2 under the driver seat while I had the dash apart! works like a champ! thanx for the great write up!
Glad to hear this thread was a help. Post pics of your installed unit and PS2; would be cool to see it here.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:15 AM
10th Gear

Post pics of your installed unit and PS2; would be cool to see it here.
Absolutely. The more pics, the better!
Old 05-29-2008, 05:41 AM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mmmm this is sounding better and better! imagine all the money saved from not burning CD's/DVD-A's anymore? lol
Old 05-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Wish I had a Carrera.

This thing is awesome!!

Hello all!! I just registered to this forum and it is awesome!! I just installed this adapter and it works quite nicely... The install took all of 30 minutes is quite simple... Thanks for all your help!
Old 06-21-2008, 01:16 AM
6th Gear

would my 6-disc player work with this? I have an 08 TL navi.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:57 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by helmsleyl
would my 6-disc player work with this? I have an 08 TL navi.
If you're talking about your stock HU, yes, it will work like a charm!
Old 07-16-2008, 02:11 AM
Pro

Just installed it. But I had a problem where the unit just buzzed out and stop playing. Unplugging and replugging the ipod fix it. Hopefully it doesnt happen again. I have an Ipod classic (5.5 gen?). I also notice my speakers popped once or twice. And I broke a clip by the steering wheel

If my problems dont come back then Ill be very happy. Got the unit for $110 shipped and about 2 hours to install cause Im total noob. I would have gone with DICE but it locks your ipod, and I cant have that.

OH yea thanks so much for this helpful thread!
Old 07-16-2008, 02:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Walshstl
Just installed it. But I had a problem where the unit just buzzed out and stop playing. Unplugging and replugging the ipod fix it. Hopefully it doesnt happen again. I have an Ipod classic (5.5 gen?). I also notice my speakers popped once or twice. And I broke a clip by the steering wheel

If my problems dont come back then Ill be very happy. Got the unit for $110 shipped and about 2 hours to install cause Im total noob. I would have gone with DICE but it locks your ipod, and I cant have that.

OH yea thanks so much for this helpful thread!
This happens when the plug isn't secure in the jack. I have had the same thing happen too.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:25 PM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Is there an Audio Jack INPUT in the USA SPEC ?? or is it only made for IPOD??
Old 07-16-2008, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by VmtSquad
It does not have an headphone-type audio jack. However, it does have RCA Aux inputs. See here - http://www.usaspec.com/ipod_product_...pa11-hon2y.pdf
Old 07-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by VmtSquad

there is a left/right input for another device like a DVD input or something, but i believe it is only meant to "control" an ipod.

i a going to use this input for my TomTom, so i can play movies and have the sound run through my car speakers

but question...i was reading the directions, and for some reason i keep thinking it needs to be in Hybrid mode in order to access that input port, does anyone know if that is true?

or can i still presss "CD 6" or whatever and still access it in Direct mode?

i want to do Direct, but i also want the other input to work as well...
Old 07-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by blkaspec
there is a left/right input for another device like a DVD input or something, but i believe it is only meant to "control" an ipod.

i a going to use this input for my TomTom, so i can play movies and have the sound run through my car speakers

but question...i was reading the directions, and for some reason i keep thinking it needs to be in Hybrid mode in order to access that input port, does anyone know if that is true?

or can i still presss "CD 6" or whatever and still access it in Direct mode?

i want to do Direct, but i also want the other input to work as well...
Not sure which mode is which, but in the IPOD mode where you can control the ipod from both the car and ipod, press disk 6 for the aux.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I'll be having one of these for sale next week (the PA11-HON2y). PM me if interested.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:15 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by csmeance
This happens when the plug isn't secure in the jack. I have had the same thing happen too.
Are you talking about the buzzing out or the speakers popping? I still the problem like once a day, or maybe thats the skipping. Ok so for the 05 TL there isnt a notch in the tray, did you guys just cut your own notch?
Old 07-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
Not sure which mode is which, but in the IPOD mode where you can control the ipod from both the car and ipod, press disk 6 for the aux.

i just installed mine today and i am SOOOOO happy!. finally, no more tape hiss. plus, i got my TomTom hooked up to it so i can listen to the movies through the car speakers. i havent really tested it out much yet, but from my initial playing around i am really happy.

Quick Reply: I-160: USA Spec Install