I-058:Just installed Peripheral Electronics (iSimple)IPOD adapter:review/install tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New Firmware

I see they have released firmware .36e. Has anyone tried this yet?

Honda, Acura - Adds Satellite Radio Support for all Honda and Acura applications
- Also improves general functionality
Release Date: 04-24-09 Version: .36e
Old 04-28-2009, 07:31 AM
2005 WDP TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyle-wdp
I have a 1st gen nano that I need to upgrade....do the latest Ipods have the same charging issues as the iphone or will they work as well as my gen1 does? I am considering an 80gig classic.
do all of the new Ipods work charge and play with the isimple? I want to make sure they don't all work like the iphone.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:45 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
do all of the new Ipods work charge and play with the isimple? I want to make sure they don't all work like the iphone.
The 5v cable will charge all iPods and iPhones except for the very earliest ones that only charged via Firewire. That's the best answer I can give you.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Intermediate

ok just installed mine i get great sound quality but no text display it just says aux1 no title or artist or anything ? how do i fix that if anybody knows and i am running the latest firmware.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:16 PM
2005 WDP TL

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
The 5v cable will charge all iPods and iPhones except for the very earliest ones that only charged via Firewire. That's the best answer I can give you.
It would not charge my iphone.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Intermediate

well i have an i touch which wont charge either but i cant get it to display on my radio the artist names or title ? any help?
Old 04-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Banned

It would not charge my iphone.
Then there was something wrong with either your cable or phone.

Both generations of iPhone will take a 5v (USB) charge.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ashkooly
Ok, I haven't installed or used an isimple yet, but i assume its about the same as the pioneer ipod adapter i have in my current car. i have a 2nd gen ipod touch hooked up and when i first plug it in, it says the accessory doesn't support charging for my ipod (which the isimple will do for 2nd gen touches and 3g iphones if you don't have the new charging cable). i can dismiss that message and still to unlock and use the rest of my ipod. the only thing is, when i hit the music icon at the bottom, the screen just says "accessory connected" and i can't change the music from it. the isimple should do the same thing if you're on the ipod input on the radio. once you change to aux1, it should unlock the ipod/iphone, but then the dock connector doesn't send out song info and all of that.
Here's a concern that I may have missed:

how do you change playlists?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Advanced

Here's a concern that I may have missed:

how do you change playlists?
try hitting preset #2, then turn the tuning knob until you see the "playlist" or "p-list" option, then hit #2 again. you can browse through your playlists with the same tuning knob.

someone who actually has one in their tl might want to chime in, but thats how the video on the peripheral website shows to do it.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:16 AM
Banned

Gotcha. I'll have to try it out on Friday.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:56 PM
Chapter Leader (Mid-Atlantic Region)

Received 269 Likes on 225 Posts
quick question regarding this.. im sure its been answered but i got tired after reading the 4th page lol

anyways, im about to get this soon as my factory cd player is broken.. my local best buy has this.. but the workers said it will not work on my car because the TL isnt listed on the back. So i was wondering is there a version thats compatible with the TL? or will the one at best buy work just as fine?
Old 04-30-2009, 02:17 AM
Advanced

I just installed this tonight. I have no idea how people can do it in 15 minutes. I tried to position myself and gave up at that point. Much props to those who could do it. I ended up taking off a piece of trim and taking off the side panel. Even then my big ass hands had trouble reconnecting the harness. Now that its all said and done, I'm glad I did this. Great device!
Old 05-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Banned

Excuse me if this has already been mentioned - just point it out.

But, should I be able to control the iPod on both XM1 and XM2?
Old 05-04-2009, 12:45 PM
NTMD8

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Excuse me if this has already been mentioned - just point it out.

But, should I be able to control the iPod on both XM1 and XM2?
Yes, XM1 and XM2 doesn't affect ipod control, in order to have text display, you have to make sure you are on the IPOD, NOT the aux1 or aux2. Aux2 is still Ipod but allows you to use the ipod controls.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Intermediate

i was using it on aux 2 and i got no text but today all of a sudden i got the ipod option and now i get text where did that come from?
Old 05-07-2009, 05:28 PM
6th Gear

Hey everybody, this is my first post!

I installed the Peripheral device today. It took me 3 hours to complete (15 minutes... REALLY? 1 hour... REALLY?). Call me slow, but I made sure to be careful because this was my first experience taking the TL's console apart. I had a real tough time getting the XM harness off (I didn't take the radio out completely, just enough to tilt it to get my fingers behind the harness.

I put the peripheral device above the gas and brake pedals on top of that black covering. It's all taped down and secure. Then I ran the cable to my center console and BAM... it worked. I'm really loving this device so far.

Here are my initial impressions (after only playing with it for a little while):

1. Crisp, clear, perfect sound
2. No interface lag
3. Overall well done product
4. BUT, I noticed the iPod doesn't turn off with the car. When you turn the car off, the iPod stays "charging" even though the car is off. Does this mean I have to manually turn it off every time I leave my car? I want seamless integration with the car and this doesn't seem to be a good sign...

Nonetheless, I think I did well. No lost clips, only a small cut, and I now have a kick-ass setup. FINALLY NO MORE CDs.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:10 PM
7th Gear

First post too. I had the Gateway professionally installed last week along with the HD Radio tuner. I would describe it as quirky and I called the installers this week to let them know about issues I was having. When going into the XM mode to select iPod, HDRadio, Aux, etc. the tune knob would work sometimes but not consistently. You would turn it and not get any change in the selection. Once you were into the iPod mode, the first time it might work great using the Preset 6 to get into the iPod menu. Any subsequent time, say with music playing, that you went to Preset 6 for the menu, it would show "PL:..." but alternate back and forth the to the current playing song/title. And rarely let you change PL to AR, TL etc.

They called Peripheral and the two suggestions were to update the iPod (I have an iPod Classic) which was already done and to reset the iPod (center button and Menu at the same time). No luck on the second either. So back to square one.

Last night I sat with the system and seemed to find a somewhat consistent workaround. When hitting Preset 6 to get into the menu, if the tune knob doesn't funtion properly (one click equals one change on the display, either to next option (PL, AR, TR) or to next song/title/genre if drilled down) then I press the Display/Mode button once then try to select using the tune knob again. Each time this was successful and allowed for proper use of the menu system via the presets and tune button. It did sometimes require more than one cycle of the 'push the Display/Mode button then trying the tune knob' for it to work.

If that continues to be the case, then I will be pleased. The sound is great. The artist does occasionally lag when changing/forwarding manually. It seems to work fine if the iPod is just playing and automatically moving to the next track.

HD Radio is interesting. The main issue is living in a ex-urb, if the station signal starts to fail on analog, you get a little static. If it fails on digital, you get nothing until it pops back in. So you can only listen to the HD2 or HD3 stations if you are truly within range. The HD1 stations, the main broadcast, will just flip out of digital to analog, where you can tell the sound difference but it still sounds fine. Digital definitely sounds better than analog though, if you can keep it tuned in.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
once i get the harness for the type s i'm going to hook up the pxamg and hdrt.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:17 PM
2005 WDP TL

is this 5v cable an upgrade? Can someone in the thread verify that the pxamg charges their current gen nano or ipod touch?
Old 05-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Banned

is this 5v cable an upgrade? Can someone in the thread verify that the pxamg charges their current gen nano or ipod touch?
All iPods from the 4G original on up accept and charge via USB (5v). But if it makes you feel better, I'll check my 3G Nano in a bit (no difference from 4G Nano).

Here's a decent guide, minus the iPhone:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...wire-usb2.html
Old 05-10-2009, 10:16 PM
10th Gear

Yes. I have the 2G touch and had to purchase the 5v cable to charge it. Works great, but found that it charges it even when the car is off. So, I just usually unplug it when the car's not on. Other than that, perfect.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Tucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just installed this adapter on my TL this past weekend and it works just as described. Finally, I have a "clean" IPOD/Mp3 solution. Also, the installation via the side driver panel was cumbersome but with a little patience and flexibility in the fingers I got it to work.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:03 PM
2005 WDP TL

Originally Posted by dflo
Yes. I have the 2G touch and had to purchase the 5v cable to charge it. Works great, but found that it charges it even when the car is off. So, I just usually unplug it when the car's not on. Other than that, perfect.
I am going to have to purchase this 5v cable. My cable charges my 1st gen nano and charged my ipod touch gen1 but would not charge my iphone. I want to get a classic or new 8g nano, dont really want another touch.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:19 PM
6th Gear

I am looking for an iPod controller and was going to buy the PXAMG, but I found out that you have to buy another $18 adapter to make the iPhone work with it and to charge.

I am having Cartoys install this and they originally suggested the iSimple, but today the installer changed his mind and said that he had more problems with the iSimple than with the USASPEC. Additionally, the USASPEC PA15-HON2y was somewhat cheaper than the iSimple. It turns out that the issues are mainly with the iPhone and recharging, needing an additional add-on.

After careful research, I have decided to go with the USASPEC since it appears that this is the most widely used and talked about solution. Additionally, it needs no additional cables or add-ons (as of 5/10/2009). I would appreciate any thoughts you may have on my choice. I am open to suggestions. I liked the specs on the USASPEC website and it appears to do everything that I need, including a new dual mode feature, selecting playlists from the radio.

I'll let you know after I have it installed.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:24 PM
6th Gear

Quick question about recording quality.

Are most of you playing back simple MP3's, AAC's etc? And at what quality? Should I go for 256 kb/s AAC? I am wondering with a pure digital input/output, whether the bitrate becomes as important as it was with "headphone jack music."

Personally, I would like to buy a large iPod and save my music files in .AIFF at 1411 kb/s and figure that would give me "true" CD quality or above.

Thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tlacura2006
Quick question about recording quality.

Are most of you playing back simple MP3's, AAC's etc? And at what quality? Should I go for 256 kb/s AAC? I am wondering with a pure digital input/output, whether the bitrate becomes as important as it was with "headphone jack music."

Personally, I would like to buy a large iPod and save my music files in .AIFF at 1411 kb/s and figure that would give me "true" CD quality or above.

Thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
That's really going to be up to the individual user. Some people can't distinguish above 128kb, even on great speakers.

Let your ears be your guide.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I doubt (and as the prev poster mentioned, this is a subjective response) the TL's speaker system will allow you to hear a difference in 128 to 256 bitrate sound quality ...

maybe you will -- try it and give it a shot...
Old 05-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Booya

I read on peripheral's website and also on crutchfield.com that you can select between any 2 from iPod, HD Radio or the Auxillary port, but not all three. I had planned to use all 3 ports (aux port for a passenger MP3 player) and am confused by this statement on the
Peripheral's PXAMG product page;

Allows connection of any two devices: iPod cable, AUX cable or HD Radio Tuner (sold seperately).

http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/?ProductId=276

Crutchfiled page:

Note: The PXAMG allows only the connection of two external devices at one time. Choose from iPod, Aux source, or HD Radio Tuner (HDRT).

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_541PXAM...=detailed_info

Also, seeing the product pictures makes you believe that you should be able to do al three. Can anyone verify this information?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dipkat
Peripheral's PXAMG product page;

Allows connection of any two devices: iPod cable, AUX cable or HD Radio Tuner (sold seperately).

Crutchfiled page:

Note: The PXAMG allows only the connection of two external devices at one time. Choose from iPod, Aux source, or HD Radio Tuner (HDRT).

Also, seeing the product pictures makes you believe that you should be able to do al three. Can anyone verify this information?
I'm not sure what's confusing, as both say the same thing to me. 2 out of 3 possibilities.

Those two serial connections on the side are what give you your connections. The HDRT, ipod and aux cable all connect that way, unless I am hugely mistaken. So, any two devices.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Booya

I'm not sure what's confusing, as both say the same thing to me. 2 out of 3 possibilities.

Those two serial connections on the side are what give you your connections. The HDRT, ipod and aux cable all connect that way, unless I am hugely mistaken. So, any two devices.
Yep. Confirmed only 2 out of 3 possibilities. I needed verification. I found proof deep inside one of the posts someone had tested that one of AUX1 / AUX2 , I dont know which one, can be either HDRT or another device. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Banned

If you get a HDRT hooked up before I do, please post the pics of the screen. I've yet to see anything on how the channel selection is done and what it looks like.

Hopefully I can get a few minutes this weekend.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:53 AM
Booya

I guess I will not be doing HDRT. I will be using the Aux port for iPhone 3G integration as done by ELEGANT TYPE S ;

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/my-iphone-3g-integrations-setup-lots-pics-even-videos-704403/

I had to decide between Audio using my iPhone 3G or HDRT. If I use the aux port for my iPhone 3G, not only can I use it for video using a navi video interface, but I can get digital music using Pandora / AOL radio / last.fm and other iPhone apps (YouTube, etc). With a jailbroken iPhone, the possibilities are limitless (display on the Navi screen )

HDRT in addition to the Aux port would have been a good option though.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dipkat
I guess I will not be doing HDRT. I will be using the Aux port for iPhone 3G integration as done by ELEGANT TYPE S ;

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704403

I had to decide between Audio using my iPhone 3G or HDRT. If I use the aux port for my iPhone 3G, not only can I use it for video using a navi video interface, but I can get digital music using Pandora / AOL radio / last.fm and other iPhone apps (YouTube, etc). With a jailbroken iPhone, the possibilities are limitless (display on the Navi screen )

HDRT in addition to the Aux port would have been a good option though.
I can't comment on the video portion, but as it's hooked up right now, my iPhone can do WunderRadio (the only thing I've tested) via the iPod connection. I'll have to confirm it still does it with the HDRT hooked up, but I don't see why.

I just hit the Home button to get out of the iPod screen, and do whatever I want while it's hooked up.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Booya

If you jailbreak your iPhone, you can stream almost any audio through the iPhone dock connector / data port. The only challenge would be if the PXAMG can recognize audio not coming from the iPod app on the iPhone (I doubt that).
Old 05-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Banned

Yes, it can. Check my above post.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:41 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
Hey...my ipod has worked flawlessly for 5 months now...but when I am on XM my radio seems to have a mind of it's own. On IPOD it's great...but if left on SAT, it'll ignore me when I'm trying to change settings or even change the input. I have to turn the car off and back on to get it to react.

Anyone have this issue? How do I check the version I have?
Old 05-31-2009, 12:06 PM
7th Gear

Thanks to everyones input on this thread. Installed mine yesterday, it took me longer than most, but it was worth it. The sound is great and I haven't had any issues so far.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Instructor

After having noise issues with firmware .25, Peripheral exchanged mine for a new .36 version. Now I can't get it to respond at all. The ipod charges but I can't get the radio into XM mode. Sometimes the radio is blank and unresponsive as well. I've tried letting it sit for 5 minutes and then waiting 3 min but nothing works.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ross7778
After having noise issues with firmware .25, Peripheral exchanged mine for a new .36 version. Now I can't get it to respond at all. The ipod charges but I can't get the radio into XM mode. Sometimes the radio is blank and unresponsive as well. I've tried letting it sit for 5 minutes and then waiting 3 min but nothing works.
Just wanted to add another update. I tried a hard-reset which also didn't work. I then updated to firmware .36e and that also made no difference. Sometimes the radio will have sound and I can switch between CD and AM/FM but nothing is on the display and I can't get into XM.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:13 AM
Chapter Leader (Mid-Atlantic Region)

Received 269 Likes on 225 Posts
Got mine installed couple weeks ago. I updated to the latest firmware before putting it on. Sound is excellent (better than cd actually.. for you audiophiles). Love how the text switches from artist to track title simultaneously on the non-navi screen. No problems what so ever. Works ASAP when i turn on the car

Quick Reply: I-058:Just installed Peripheral Electronics (iSimple)IPOD adapter:review/install tips