I-058:Just installed Peripheral Electronics (iSimple)IPOD adapter:review/install tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 12:37 PM
trees grow in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, what the heck? I just got installing the iSimple, put everything back together. Now, how do I get it to work? I pressed the XM button, but all it shows it the "XM Preview" channels... HELP!?!?!!? lol

My car is 06 TL Navi.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
press am fm then press xm the turn the tuner knob youll notice it changes between xm, ipod aux 1 and aux 2.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:00 PM
trees grow in

Got it! Woot! Thanks alot man.

Man, getting to recognize is more tricky than installation haha.

Note: Please take apart your driver's side panel when installing. There is NO WAY in hell will you be able to plug in the harness with just ripping apart the side carpet, and you will be able to hide the cable better.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by coconut
Got it! Woot! Thanks alot man.

Man, getting to recognize is more tricky than installation haha.

Note: Please take apart your driver's side panel when installing. There is NO WAY in hell will you be able to plug in the harness with just ripping apart the side carpet, and you will be able to hide the cable better.

LOL! Just because YOU couldn't get it to install without "taking apart your driver's side panel" doesn't mean it cannot be done -- plenty of proof that it can, you just couldn't do it.

But nonetheless, congrats and enjoy.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
^ lol, I couldn't do it either
Old 01-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Ignore Avatar...this is for an 04 TL non/navi

Ok...let me make some additions to these last few comments for alas, I am coming back into my house after installing it myself. I would definitely say I am decently versed on electronics and for sure taking apart honda/acura's.

15 min no panel removal...a great idea, and thank you much for taking the time to share. Now...as I discovered...don't bother if you don't have a good quality screwdriver that will BEND. Lol..NONE, and I mean NONE of my screwdrivers were good...they all broke off when I tried to bend them. When I looked into that little opening I thought "wow, that's right there...I can probably just reach in". NOT. It's further than it looks, but not any simpler than it looks.

Short story long, I ended up opting to remove (read this if you plan to do it) the metal strip (start from back and pull UP then as it curves up toward radio pull toward you...I lost one of the clips in the console but it won't affect anything). Then remove the "over your feet" panel first by pulling down on the section closest to the engine bay and then down on the part closer to you. Then unscrew that one plastic pull screw on the right. Pull the plast around the bottom of the steering column toward you and it all just pops out...unscrew all 4 screws to the panel next to your right knee (can't miss em). With a little tugging it's all out.

Unplug old, plug into Y adapter then plug in your PE Unit...shove it under the black plastic thing, tuck the ipod wire under the driver side all the way to the back...pull it through the little door panel in your deep pocket (rear center console, I bunched up the excess and left it shoved UNDER the panel, cut a little access hole in a corner for the cord.

Let car on ACC for 3 min, then turn on follow instructions.

My own review...an hour install...have used the USA SPEC on my gf's car and had a kenwood headunit with harness in old car...this one BLOWS them away...text..and scrolling and everything worked flawlessly the FIRST TIme. This REALLY should have been an option direct from Acura. It is AMAZING. Even my aftermarket radio...you couldn't direct input and the scrolling was soooo slow I would have to open my glove, disc ipod scroll and pick and plug back in.

Thank you for the tips...hope this helps someone else...and thank you PE!!!

Last edited by rockstar143; 01-23-2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: add detail
Old 01-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Safety Car

I purchased a HUSKY brand 1 foot long (approx) flat head screwdriver... it was NOT hardened/heat treated metal .. it was chrome silver (not that flat black you see on heat treated metal). I took a vice grip and bent the tip of the flat head until I achieved that desired hook in order to 1st grab the plastic tag on the wire harness, and then to push the new Y-harness into the socket....

I'm not gunna lie... it definitely takes some finesse and patience, but I don't at all blame anyone for trying panel removal to get the job done. Just know that it IS in fact possible, very possible to perform the 15 minute install.

Rockstar -- nice work!
Old 01-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Thank you! I thought about going out and buying a decent screwdriver but gave up since I knew there was a longer method that would probably frustrate me less. Ha ha...

It definitely took me longer, but kinda like traffic...if I know there's a longer way home that doesn't involve patience and the feeling of not moving. I take it.

Thanks again for all the info. Greatly appreciated.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:56 PM
trees grow in

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I purchased a HUSKY brand 1 foot long (approx) flat head screwdriver... it was NOT hardened/heat treated metal .. it was chrome silver (not that flat black you see on heat treated metal). I took a vice grip and bent the tip of the flat head until I achieved that desired hook in order to 1st grab the plastic tag on the wire harness, and then to push the new Y-harness into the socket....

I'm not gunna lie... it definitely takes some finesse and patience, but I don't at all blame anyone for trying panel removal to get the job done. Just know that it IS in fact possible, very possible to perform the 15 minute install.

Rockstar -- nice work!
You must have tiny hands :ghey:

nah, Im just messing with you.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ThePianoMan
I was just curious as to where everyone is mounting their iSimple. I have mine mounted in the same place and "tonester," but I am having an issue with my right foot hitting it when I am accelerating. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!
I haven't performed the install yet, but I plan on mounting the brain in place of where my PIE X3 brain currently is located: sitting atop a panel right below the steering wheel.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:24 AM
Instructor

For people with static: I don't use PXAMG but USASpec pa15-hon2. I do get some hissing/static noise when 4g Nano's backlight turns off. 2g nano, 3g nanos are ok.
Is there a common problem with new generation ipods?
Old 01-25-2009, 10:18 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by datmrman
I haven't performed the install yet, but I plan on mounting the brain in place of where my PIE X3 brain currently is located: sitting atop a panel right below the steering wheel.
I have mine installed under the carpet just to the right of the gas pedal. The carpet is not attached to anything at the top and is easily pulled down to get access to the unit. There is a flat plastic surface that has an empty spot that is just big enough to get the unit velcro'd to the top of. It works great for me.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Safety Car

mine's installed exactly where datmrman's is installed...
Old 01-25-2009, 03:57 PM
Instructor

has anyone's Isimple frozen up their nav/stereo? it only happened after installing the ISimple.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Safety Car

I was able to install mine yesterday. I was glad I took the center console apart. It was much easier than trying to wedge into a super tight space. Taking it apart was easier the second time around.

I wanted to prevent rattles from the plug vibrating against something, so I decided to stick felt around it. Anything that will pad the plug would work (maybe even duct tape).

You can see the plug resting on a metal frame as well as the location of my iPod here. I already had holes created from my last install, so I just decided to run wires there. I'm happy with the location since I can switch between controlling via headunit/steering wheel in iPod mode and the actual iPod in Aux1 mode.

side view

I'm very pleased with the module. Great sound quality and the interface was easy to learn. I just wish that long artist/track info would scroll rather than get cut off after the limit. Hope that Peripheral can implement this in a future firmware update.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:05 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by twopu
has anyone's Isimple frozen up their nav/stereo? it only happened after installing the ISimple.
What year is your car and what firmware version are you running? I made sure I was running the latest (.36) version before I installed mine.

Also, check the dip switches on the module (they should be all up) and make sure that all of the plugs are securely connected. Per the manual, the order of the connectors should be: iPod, Aux or HD, then the black connector. That's the order I followed and I didn't experience any issues.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by datmrman
What year is your car and what firmware version are you running? I made sure I was running the latest (.36) version before I installed mine.

Also, check the dip switches on the module (they should be all up) and make sure that all of the plugs are securely connected. Per the manual, the order of the connectors should be: iPod, Aux or HD, then the black connector. That's the order I followed and I didn't experience any issues.
I too have had problems with my unit. (04 W nav) I have run versions .36 and.37 Anytime I start up the radio on XM or FM it doesnt turn on for a few minutes then when it does turn on buttons dont work and service fades in and out for a few seconds. When I turn the radio on with it left of Ipod it works fine.

NOTE Version .37 does not say Ipod in the category field just has ---
Old 01-25-2009, 07:59 PM
Safety Car

Version .37 is for Infinity only according to the firmware update site. That's why I stuck with .36.

I have only had the module installed for a day. I haven't messed with it too much to see if/where it malfunctions. From the tests I ran yesterday, it seems to be working like it should. Have you guys tried contacting Peripheral?
Old 01-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by mrlobaloba
I too have had problems with my unit. (04 W nav) I have run versions .36 and.37 Anytime I start up the radio on XM or FM it doesnt turn on for a few minutes then when it does turn on buttons dont work and service fades in and out for a few seconds. When I turn the radio on with it left of Ipod it works fine.

NOTE Version .37 does not say Ipod in the category field just has ---
Hmmm, I just started having the same problem. I have the latest firmware and all of my connections are secure, dipswitches are up, etc. Normally I have this problem on Monday mornings and sometimes I do not drive my car on the w/e so I thought it was just because it was sitting for 2 days. When I drive my car everyday this does not happen...strange
Old 01-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Instructor

I have an 05 with .36 firmware. The dips are all up, all plugs are secure, and its plugged in order. I made sure I triple checked all of these before buttoning everything up.
Not that I don't want your systems to work but I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one. I emailed ISimple today and hope they can shed some light on the problem.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:21 PM
Instructor

twopu keep us updated
Old 01-26-2009, 09:04 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had emailed Tony for the firmware to fix the connected/not connected flashing issue (not sure what number it is. It says 561 in the flashing utility) and I flashed it yesterday morning. Then yesterday afternoon I had the issue reappear. I have emailed Tony to let him know.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Instructor

Tony got back to me today and said that I need to update the module and that the current firmware will fix this issue. I did state to him in the email that it was updated before install. When I clicked on the firmware link he provided it said that there was a version .36a I installed .36 but what I'm not sure of is if they are the same. I emailed him back hopefully he'll get back to me today.
www.peripheralelectronics.com/firmware
Old 01-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Cruisin'

Ok guys, I just installed my Isimple and have tried both .36 and .36a firmware. When switching between sources I get aux1 and aux2 and both aux's play my ipod music. I don't get the ipod source. Also I am not getting the song info on the display of either aux sources even after pressing the diplay button. When I use the tune knob it will switch song forward and back. I am currently using a 1g ipod touch. any ideas????
Old 01-26-2009, 07:36 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
aux sources wont display any text on the head unit or in the navigation. according to your signature you have a type-s, this harness will not work with your car. you need the harness compatible with navtraffic. also with the type-s dipswitch 2 must stay in the ON position.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks, I unplugged my XM all together, I don't get nav traffic where I live to begin with and I don't subscribe to XM, I don't know if that makes a difference or not with having a TYPE S. I will try with dipswitch 2 in the on possition, this is the first I have heard of changing that switch. Thanks, I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Instructor

I have a quick question. I never use my ipod outside my car, so i don't mind if its in the trunk. I also think it would be easier to install it in the trunk, plus then there is less chance of something rattling. I have an 05 with nav, is it possible to install it in the trunk? or is that just for the newer nav traffic units?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Cruisin'

Ok I reset the unit and made sure it had .36a firmware and now I get artist and song name on the display but after several seconds it switches back to some xm station names on the song display (I don't have XM plugged in) also I don't get the option for aux 1 or 2 just IPOD. I can deal with that i guess unless someone else knows a fix for this. I understand that I have a TYPE S and that it is not suppose to be compadible however I saw a video on you tube from a guy using the same unit on a type S and it all worked. If someone thinks that firmware .25 I would be willing to try it. PM me and I will give you my email to send it to.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Safety Car

Anyone know if EQ settings on the Ipod make a sound difference when playing through your PxAmg? Seems to me that it does... and the pxamg just transports the non-Eq'd audio to the headunit
Old 01-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Anyone know if EQ settings on the Ipod make a sound difference when playing through your PxAmg? Seems to me that it does... and the pxamg just transports the non-Eq'd audio to the headunit
I'm pretty sure that the EQ settings on the iPod are not transferred to the headunit. I think that is the way most units like this work. I've also experienced that if you have the volume level adjusted on a particular song that is also not transferred to the headunit.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AMIC
I'm pretty sure that the EQ settings on the iPod are not transferred to the headunit. I think that is the way most units like this work. I've also experienced that if you have the volume level adjusted on a particular song that is also not transferred to the headunit.
I just looked back at my post and realize I should have said, "...seems to me that it does NOT.."

I'd have to agree with you .. seems like it's just transporting raw, un-Eq'd audio to the headunit ..
Old 01-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Instructor

I was having the same issues with the flashing. Tony told me to do a complete reset on the module. Reason being there was probably an old charge left in the capasitor. Here was his instructions. After a full drain and a good reset and reinstall I have had no problems.

There is a chance that the module is not being reset as the capacitor may still have residual voltage on it. Here is the best way to reset it.

You will need to reset the module. To do this, disconnect the module from the vehicle. Using a screwdriver, remove one of the side panels of the housing. Remove the circuit board from the housing. Find the bank of 9 capacitors located by the 24 pin black connector. There should be one that’s bigger than the rest with a + sign on the top. Flip over the board and find the two leads coming from that capacitor. Take your screwdriver and short those together temporarily. Put it all back together and install it into the vehicle.

Tony
Old 01-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Cruisin'

thanks gumby,
I will give it a shot tomorrow and let you know what happens.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Safety Car

Something tells me the next iteration of the PXAMG will have a "reset" button that grounds this capacitor for you ...
Old 01-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Instructor

I went to update it with .36a and realized that was the update for the Infinity and that .36 was the last for the Acura. I attempted to reinstall .36 just in case I made a mistake, but I did it right the first time. I put it back in the car and it worked perfectly leading me to believe that I installed it incorrectly. I left the house an hour later and the radio froze up on me again. I got to my destination and turned the car off and back on and it worked perfectly again. I pulled out a little later and it froze up. Now I'm wondering if the location that I placed it in is the problem. It's hard to describe the location but I tucked it in a little space that it fits perfectly in. If you pull the carpet back by your foot you can see a space that appears to be a perfect fit. I'm going to play around with it tomorrow. Oh I didn't velcro it down because it didn't seem like it was going anywhere.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:49 AM
Safety Car

i dont' think the location should have anything to do with it, unless the location is causing the wires in the harness to lose connection somehow causing the unit to "freeze."
Old 02-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Instructor

Tony got back to me and told me to flash the attached software (unigw.bin 561b.xuf) but I don't know what that means and how to do it. I feel like a real idiot, can anyone explain this to me?
Old 02-03-2009, 08:48 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Originally Posted by twopu
Tony got back to me and told me to flash the attached software (unigw.bin 561b.xuf) but I don't know what that means and how to do it. I feel like a real idiot, can anyone explain this to me?
Go to this site: http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/firmware/ and follow the instructions. I have not had luck with that firmware solving my problem.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:57 PM
1st Gear

I updated the firmware using the instruction on this site http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/firmware/ but now when I press XM, it doesn't show the IPOD connection. It was working fine before the firmware update and I have reset the switches back. Is there something I need to try?
Old 02-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Instructor

I find my unit does not freeze if it is left on ipod with the ipod attached, when I shut off or start up the car. I make sure to leave it on ipod everytime

Quick Reply: I-058:Just installed Peripheral Electronics (iSimple)IPOD adapter:review/install tips