I-058:Just installed Peripheral Electronics (iSimple)IPOD adapter:review/install tips

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the tips. I was following your advice, and then all of a sudden I wasn't able to get the clips for the top aluminum trim off! I thought "F*** it" and tried the easy method once again. This time, success! I used a standalone staple remover from work and bent it to a 90sh degree angle. I also made a little rope with masking tape so I could yank the harness off from the wires WHILE trying to yank it off with the staple remover. It popped right out after a few tries.

It took another 20 minutes or so to get the harness back into the unit. I taped the harness wiring to a stick so I could maneuver the harness into the plug. Once I had it aligned, I used the staple remover to shove the harness into the plug. (I had everything taped to avoid any shorting, as I heard in a few instances of people blowing out their fuses). Everything was working, and the controls did not take long to get used to at all. It seems that I have the older iPod cable so I may have to invest in a newer one that charges iPhone 3Gs. All in all, I'm glad I didn't take it to BB. The experience I gained from this far outweighs the 50 bucks I would have spent to have them install the iSimple.

To everyone else who is trying to install the iSimple: The angled tool is KEY to success, as well as good lighting. I used one of those mini-LED keychain lights and it was in the pain the arse to hold that while fishing for the harness. Oh, and it helps to be slim . I guess being 5'10 and 120 lbs does have its plus sides every now and then.

Now to find some velcro to tape the brain to the side. It looks pretty ghetto just lying on the floor
Old 02-14-2010, 11:58 PM
04' tl 6 spd

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Any Canadian members has had success installing this isimple kit or any issues regarding non xm radios in Canadian TLs?

I have a 2004 non navi/xm radio TL and want to install an ipod adaptor. thanks
Old 02-15-2010, 01:56 AM
Intermediate

Just wanted to add a few pics. Got the velcro at CVS, and tucked the extra wiring in the back for a nice clean-looking install.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:18 AM
NBP is a pain...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^ good song btw! my setup looks just like yours. how is the velcro holding up? i used a velcro sticker from something else and it came off in a few days so now i just leave it firmly shoved into the carpeting. i will come out every now and then like once a month. it just takes me a few minutes to shove it back into the carpeting again..haha
Old 02-15-2010, 04:10 AM
I need a car in

gotkilled, use 3m i believe the one u used was generic. those generic velcro sucks -_-
Old 02-15-2010, 10:28 AM
I've been Canonized ;)

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
i-not-so-Simple

Originally Posted by LKLD
Installed mine last week. Was able to listen to songs and scroll through with steering wheel controls. turned car off and went inside. About 2 hrs. later needed to go to the store and now nothing...at all! The XM button does nothing. The steering wheel mode button skips XM altogether. Emailed iSimple and no response. Any ideas for solutions I could do to fix this?
Well, it's been a month and a half and still nothing. Been in contact w/ Derek Sutura and he suggested a firmware update. Took it to a local shop ( I'm running Windows 7) and had it done...still nothing. Derek hasn't any other solutions and hasn't offered any more help. I personally can't recommend this as an iPod solution, in fact I will steer anyone away from this. Bottom line: if it works great, but if not...your pretty much left w/ a $160 iPod charger for your car.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,012 Likes on 14,516 Posts
If left on "SAT" mode for me...I experience similar problems. The firmware push and a new module did nothing to solve this. Bottom line, when turning off car, make sure you basically leave it on "IPOD" or AUX1 or 2. That's it...it works other than occasionally saying "no ipod connected" while scrolling thru artists...

Annoying and not really a viable option if you need to keep your XM. But still the best there is to integrate with OEM I think.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:18 PM
Intermediate

The velcro is holding up really well. I got some generic brand for cars as it was a dollar cheaper than the 3M stuff. Plus the 3M stuff said it was a permanent adhesive, which I didn't have a problem with since I wasn't going to be reusing it, but I assumed there may have been annoying residue to scrub off. The 3M velcro was about 3.20 I believe. Definitely give that a try if the generic stuff you're using isn't working.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:18 PM
I've been Canonized ;)

Originally Posted by rockstar143
If left on "SAT" mode for me...I experience similar problems. The firmware push and a new module did nothing to solve this. Bottom line, when turning off car, make sure you basically leave it on "IPOD" or AUX1 or 2. That's it...it works other than occasionally saying "no ipod connected" while scrolling thru artists...

Annoying and not really a viable option if you need to keep your XM. But still the best there is to integrate with OEM I think.
That would be great if....I could get XM to show and then go to SAT, but I can't get XM to show at all. Pressing the XM button does nothing, as though it isn't there at all. I've jumped through enough hoops to qualify for the next summer olympics already. The irony is it's called...iSimple
Old 02-15-2010, 06:56 PM

maybe they meant someone else as "I"...you know...like you're not supposed to be referring to yourself in the 3rd person. lol...
I feel you...I'm frustrated with it too. Are you SURE you piggybacked properly? It almost seems like an issue with the radio just not realizing the XM plug is plugged in at all. I would double check that first...and I would also follow the strict instructions on how to put it in the car, turn on ACC for a minute, then turn on car with radio off for a minute, THEN made adjustments. Also, are you NAV, or NO? There are different install locations for either if I remember correctly.

Good luck man...if it's NOT recognizing XM at all it HAS to be something with the piggy back...not electronic (I really don't think)
Old 02-21-2010, 08:10 AM
I've been Canonized ;)

I believe it's piggybacked correctly, as it worked initially, but you make a good point about the radio not reconizing the connection. I'm going to take it apart tomorrow and see if I can figure if it's the module, harness or if the connection has come loose. Thanks for some insight Rockstar
Old 02-21-2010, 08:51 AM

No problem man...I wish you the best of luck! Also, make sure you didn't accidentally hit any dipswitches...and open it up and do the clearing technique to reset the module itself by touching those 2 solder points together. It's on the pac audio website troubleshooting area.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:09 PM
2004 Acura TL

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Does anyone know how to prevent the ipod from turning on the repeat mode everytime I connect the ipod?
Old 02-22-2010, 01:22 PM
I've been Canonized ;)

Originally Posted by rockstar143
No problem man...I wish you the best of luck! Also, make sure you didn't accidentally hit any dipswitches...and open it up and do the clearing technique to reset the module itself by touching those 2 solder points together. It's on the pac audio website troubleshooting area.
Yeah, all dip switches are off. Did the 2 solder deal per the www.pac-audio.com website. Plugged it all back up....nothing. I plugged the OEM harness directly into the radio an the XM button works. There's something wrong w/ either the harness or module. I'm thinking the module shorted out somehow. It worked once, but that has been it since Christmas. Derek at Peripheral won't return email and I'm fed up altogether. Thanks to all who tried to help w/ this, especiall Rockstar
Old 02-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
so let me get this straight.. you can only control the iphone/itouch through the car audio controls when its connected and not use the actual iphone/itouch to select music/albums etc? if this true then that his a major issue.

also is there a write up on what buttons on the TL audio system perform what function on the iphone/itouch integration?

thanks

..i ordered my isimple from the GB and should be receiving it soon.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You just switch the headunit to aux2 to use the change the actual ipod songs and albums on the ipod.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:42 AM
4th Gear

Question iSimple Freezes Up Temporarily

Originally Posted by LKLD
Well, it's been a month and a half and still nothing. Been in contact w/ Derek Sutura and he suggested a firmware update. Took it to a local shop ( I'm running Windows 7) and had it done...still nothing. Derek hasn't any other solutions and hasn't offered any more help. I personally can't recommend this as an iPod solution, in fact I will steer anyone away from this. Bottom line: if it works great, but if not...your pretty much left w/ a $160 iPod charger for your car.
I had BB install the iSimple in my 2004 TL NAV in February. It was fine for a while, but then I began to find it frozen on the last FM channel the next time I started the car. Pushing the console buttons did nothing. Won't even shut off the power. Using the steering wheel controls I could adjust volume or cycle through the FM stations, but not change to XM or any other mode. Usually the freeze cures in a few minutes. Sometimes restarting the car helps, though that is grossly inconvenient.

Are others having this same problem? Is there a cure?

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Instructor

It's been a few months now since I installed the isimple and thankfully Ive had no real issues (knock on wood).. There were a cpl of times were it wasn't recognizing the ipod but I simply unplugged it and replugged and it worked. I haven't updated any firmware and completely satisfied with my purchase!! I can't understand why ppl would pay to get it installed with all the information on this site.. It was a little difficult removing the panels without breaking anything but it's not impossible.. Removing the harness was the hardest part but again not impossible with a little patience. I'd say it took an hr and a half at most!!! Thanks to the all the members who did't mind posting directions and pictures to make it as easy as possible!!
Old 03-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Advanced

Installed my iSimple and pretty happy with it.... one thing:

My steering wheel controls don't seem to be working for the iSimple functions..... any suggestions???????
Old 03-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Intermediate

Are you connected through the iPod cable or just the AUX?
Old 03-06-2010, 06:54 AM
Advanced

The steering wheel controls don't really work right on both- iPod setting and Aux1. I don't think they will work with Aux1 though.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:07 PM
5th Gear

I wanted to let you all know the iSimple adapter was a cinch. I have an canadian tl non-nav and no xm, but the connection on the back of the radio/cd unit is there so it was as easy as tapeing the fingers of my long 45* angle needle nose pliers, with a wrap of duck tape, so the wires dont get damged and as one said earlier contorting ones self to see it I used my dewalt snake light and it was bright enough to shine a lil around my big head while simply clicking the proper connector into the back of the cdunit. I put the device above, unlike the pics a few posts ago, but same area, just on top of the plastic to the right and below the steering column, it was very easy to run the one ipod cable under the plastic of the console next to the drivers seat. The main thing I did different is used the blank pop out below the accessory 12v in the console instead of the e-brake adjuster hole cover, this in my opinion is a nicer place, cleaner but i had to drill the hole big enough for the round end of the ipod cable and run it back up the console, was very easy though. the blank pop out needed a hole drilled in it so i used a vise to hold it steady, then sanded the scratches with 180 grit and used a lighter to melt them to stock looks again. It works very well and takes about an hour to figure out mostly, the only thing i dont understand is the "CH title" pops up after selecting a song or whatever and then goes back to normal. it isnt at all annoying, but i do wish it said something else or nothing at all!

Last edited by westsideaccord; 03-06-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:05 AM
Cruisin'

I don't know if this issue has been addressed, but...

There's a thread out there detailing an install in the trunk where the factory XM unit sits. i don't think the thread clarified, but that DIY is NOT for 04 TL's. I made that mistake. The unit has to go behind the dash.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
do you guys recommend this product? i bought it in the GB and debating to return it after reading ppl's nightmare issues with it. id hate to install it and remove it etc multiple times if i had issues. it seems like its a 50/50 chance and the fact that there's no real support from isimple for troubleshooting stinks too.

im thinking about getting XM radio - is there any integration issues if a person has XM and isimple?
Old 03-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Project X
do you guys recommend this product? i bought it in the GB and debating to return it after reading ppl's nightmare issues with it. id hate to install it and remove it etc multiple times if i had issues. it seems like its a 50/50 chance and the fact that there's no real support from isimple for troubleshooting stinks too.

im thinking about getting XM radio - is there any integration issues if a person has XM and isimple?
I have XM with navtraffic and the isimple. If I had it to do over again.... not sure I would. I feel like I basically spend $150 to be able to chanrge an play the ipod through the same cable and have text be displayed. It's not really a wonderful ipod integration kit in my opinion. I don't think the product is bad... there's just nothing better out there - nothing like what some of the other manufacturer's offer in their cars. 50/50 imo...
Old 03-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
iSimple did not work for me (2004 TL non-NAV)

When I first installed it last year it worked fine... after a few months though my system started acting funny.. I could not change modes very easily.. I had to hit CD a couple of times or AM/FM multiple times to switch sets and I had to hit the power button multiple times to get it to turn off.. or on...

I pulled out the iSimple, reset it and put it back in and everything was great again for a month.. then all that stupid crap started happening again.. oh and it did not even recognize my ipod anymore and just went to XM

last weekend I purchased the new iSimple and it did not even bother to recognize the ipods I connected to it..

I took it out and returned it… the good thing is that my stereo is back to normal.. I do not have to hit buttons multiple times to get it to work...

I am curious though if there is any type of firmware or software incompatibility or even defense mechanism.. I highly doubt it but I got no clue why it is happening

I am in the process of trying to figure out if I want a aftermarket stereo or try another product… I do not want to change the look of the interior but I really do want to play my ipod
Old 03-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Project X

NO QUESTION for me! Thankfully I haven't experienced any of the reported "issues".
Old 04-20-2010, 05:55 PM
9th Gear

Good Question

it's 2010. Everyone keeps talking about the iSimple for Ipods. Plain and simple like the other guy ?? is the iSimple the way to go for iPhone 3GS integration. Right now I'm using the tape adapter and, it's hard to believe that there aren't any better products out there that will let me have direct audio sound to my system. Again is the iSimple the best solution out there today for 3GS?
Old 04-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've researched other IPOD integration solutions out there like DICE and others. I ended with iSimple and have been very satisfied with it so far. I've had it for about 3 years now.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Intermediate

I have had control problems with the unit since new
Old 05-04-2010, 04:59 AM
Instructor

I've experienced battery draining problems if the car is left inactive for a week. I understand the Isimple unit draws power regardless vehicle is on or off. I need to figure out a way to sync the power to the unit with car ignition on and off to stop the continuous power being supplied to the unit.

any one have any ideas?
Old 05-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Chapter Leader (Mid-Atlantic Region)

Received 269 Likes on 225 Posts
Ive had mine for a little over 2 years now. Never experienced any problems. Never had power issues either. Once i turn off my car, my ipod says Charged then later turns off. I have a 30gb video btw.

Maybe updating the firmware to the latest might help?
Old 05-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
rooki: do you have any mobile tracking system on your TL? I've had the same battery draining problem in the past. After taking my TL to the dealer and have them checked it out, it turns out it was the mobile guardian system that was draining my battery. I have mobile guardian installed on mine when I got bought the car. I posted my findings and results on another post here regarding the battery drain issue. Do a search and you'll see how it was resolved. I don't think it's the iSimple that is draining your battery.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Instructor

not quite sure what the "guardian system" is? but definitely look into it.
on a side note, auto roll up window mod no longer works either? wonder if that has anything to do with the draining issue?
Old 06-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Racer

Can someone please help? I just installed this and I can't get my car to recognize it.

I pressed AM/FM then XM but it still doesn't show the ipod menu/aux 1 or 2. What am I doing wrong?
Old 06-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Racer

^
Never mind. I unplugged the PXAMG adapter from the harness and re-plugged it. Works good now.

Only thing is that I am using an iPhone 2G and sometimes the music skips. I have the .36 firmware, i'm guessing that I need to update it.

By the way, I would definitely recommend opening the panels. It looks way too hard to do everything in that small hole. Heck, it was still kind of hard even with opening the panels.

Loving this thing though. All my music sounds like CD quality, if not better. No more burning CD's =D
Old 07-18-2010, 09:42 PM

Just wanted to add this because I thought to do it today...
I used AUX2 port to hook up my android phone with pandora. OMG...can you say better than satellite radio as far as music selection, PLUS, you can look up any artist randomly and pretty much guarantee the next set of songs are gonna be badazz!
Old 10-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Instructor

just installed it the other day and it works pretty nicely I'd have to admit, but I would recommend removing the trims; such an easier job with them off to the side. btw my iphone 4 charges and plays music with it too so I'm guessing the iSimple has new firmware that supports newer gens.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:06 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
I'm looking into getting one but which Isimple model do I get? I have a 08 tl-s no xmtraffic or nav traffic(that shit was crap for me, it would tell me there's no traffic while I was sitting in traffic) Anyway I am at some point going to do a full audio/video system in the car as well just haven't mapped out what I want yet.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:35 PM
2007 NBP TL TYPE-S

I am thinking of getting the isimple for my 07 w/navi and am wondering if I play a music video/movie on my ipod will that show up on my nav screen?

Quick Reply: I-058:Just installed Peripheral Electronics (iSimple)IPOD adapter:review/install tips