how much is to much for an amp installation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Acura TL 04, G37s 19"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
how much is to much for an amp installation?

i bought a 4ch amp to run my 4 polk db651 speakers. The speakers are already install with the oem amp. now how much is to much for an amp installation. This will help me look for prices between different shops.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
You can go from basic installation at around $150-$200 to thousands, easily.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
labor plus amp kit around 150
Old 04-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
we charge based hourly. If you bring in your own stuff it is $80/hr if you buy it from us it is $60/hr. For a 4 channel amp installed off of a factory head unit I would bid between 3-4 hours. Add parts on there which will likely be between $60-$150 depending on size of wire and quality of RCA.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:37 AM
Acura TL 04, G37s 19"

Originally Posted by DiamondJoeQuimby
we charge based hourly. If you bring in your own stuff it is $80/hr if you buy it from us it is $60/hr. For a 4 channel amp installed off of a factory head unit I would bid between 3-4 hours. Add parts on there which will likely be between $60-$150 depending on size of wire and quality of RCA.
went to different shops in ny bronx and they are charging between $60-$100 including labor and parts with a 1 year warranty problem free. will be installing my amp friday. your shop is really expensive. for an 1 amp installation will be around $500 base on your hours and parts.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:49 AM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by eduardmc
went to different shops in ny bronx and they are charging between $60-$100 including labor and parts with a 1 year warranty problem free. will be installing my amp friday. your shop is really expensive. for an 1 amp installation will be around $500 base on your hours and parts.
yup

just goes to show how much things change regionally. We are right in line with other shops of our caliber in our area.

Honestly, even at $100 for the install that shop is giving time away for free. As of today we are booked out a solid week to do anything. At that rate, my time is much too valuable to give away. As long as the shop you are looking at does quality work, you are getting a steal at that price.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Eduard,

Sometimes you get what you pay for; you almost never get something you don't pay for.

I'm with Diamond Joe. From my experience installing an amp into the TL is not a trivial job. You should ask a lot of questions about what the shop intends to do as far as running power to the amp, speaker cables, how is the signal going to get to the amp (before or after the stock amp), are the stock wires going to be spliced or is a connector going to be used, how and where is the amp going to be mounted

Each of these aspects of the install can be done "right" or in a fast/cheep manner. Be an informed consumer.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by RBeachTL
Eduard,

Sometimes you get what you pay for; you almost never get something you don't pay for.

I'm with Diamond Joe. From my experience installing an amp into the TL is not a trivial job. You should ask a lot of questions about what the shop intends to do as far as running power to the amp, speaker cables, how is the signal going to get to the amp (before or after the stock amp), are the stock wires going to be spliced or is a connector going to be used, how and where is the amp going to be mounted

Each of these aspects of the install can be done "right" or in a fast/cheep manner. Be an informed consumer.
+100

I once went to a shop in NYC to amplify my interiors for a low price. The day after, I chased down what they did, and holy sh** I never seen such sloppy work done on a car in my life!! For how they did it, made me realize that I way overpayed them..

I learned what I needed to know, and re-did the entire system on my own the way I should have in the first place...
Old 04-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Acura TL 04, G37s 19"

Originally Posted by RBeachTL
Eduard,

thanx, i went to my local place (in the bronx) were they fixed my hid foglights sometime ago. the guy was pretty knowledgable with the acura tl system and had work on alot of tl before. He took my car apart in no time and started working in the amp and harness. He even said that i needed and high to low converter (i think that's what is call) and ran the rca solder from the harness to the amp in the back.

He did an excellent job cause there's no visible cables in the car or the trunk. The amp was well place with hidding cable all over. He even remove my rear speakers cause i had big rattles and adjusted so i won't hear any rattles from the rear sub or speakers (thanx god). He left the center speaker with factory amp and all my bt, navi, voice command work like before.
i was worry about engine or/and static noise, He did a great job since no noise can be heard from any of the speakers, even if i put my ears next to the speakers which i find it amazing.

Apart from all this i'm more satisfy that with 4 POLK 651S ($100 ALL 4) and ALPINE F300 4CH ($100) sound so good (i'm still in choke for real). i did not know that this speakers i have been running with the stock amp had so much power. Great bass and clarity, really bring the music to life. At 30 volume is to much for my ears and still no distortion from the speakers.

if i have to give him 1-10 i'll give the guy a 9 score. Cause he left to many fingerprints in my car , now i have to wash it again lol.

In all, everthing was $100 including parts and labor, with 1 year warranty problem free. i tip the guy $25 for the excellent job he did. All this took 1:30 hour. i was first in line cause behind me was a bmw 550, an m5, AUDI a4, 4g acura tl. They do get a lot of business.
This guys have won me has a customer for sure.

To good to be true, well i guess it was. Would paying much more in another shop would make it a better job, not aways, most of the time you are only making the owner richer. Martin installed my navi for $1250 would i feel better paying the dealer $8895.00 (has i was quote)........ yeah me neither.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what's the name of the shop?
Old 04-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Acura TL 04, G37s 19"

The shop name is HR auto sound. I think is 172nd and jerome right at the conner. just to make it clear, at no time did i mention the shop name until i was asked. i don't want anyone to think i was promoting the location but my advice is to shop around for prices and knowledge. Before my car went into the shop i was asking a zillion question what was going to be done in my car and how he would do it. I felt confident that he new enough to let him work on my car, (he was the same guy who work on my hid aswell). In jerome between 168st and 176st you have about 14 audio sound shop. i assume that is how you get really good prices since everyone is competing between each other.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So did he run the amp before or after the stock amp? and did you have to replace your speaker wire or use the stock ones?
Old 04-22-2010, 07:15 PM
Acura TL 04, G37s 19"

i believe he ran the wire bypassing the amp tampering the tl amp harness. i'm not really sure since i was not in his face seeing 100% what he was doing. i know he ran the rca from the passenger side to the back, and the power from the drivers side. But really forget about the installation, i want to talk about the Polks 651s + Alpine F300 combo. This can be had for $200 on ebay and believe when i tell you that this setup sound amazing. This is from a guy who spend $2000 on a stereo system in my last car (mitsubishi eclipse 2001). This set up might not match my last system but in voice audio it comes really close to it and only $200, of course that i'm missing the big power sub but in terms of clarity and loudness it comes pretty close to matching my focal. i'll not adding a sub even though i'm tempted. After having such a powerfull system, getting hell alot of tickets in NY for loud music and having no truck space, i decided that i'll be trunk space free. Thinking about it, a 10" on a small enclosure alpine type R couldn't be so bad...... so tempted.