How many of you wish they never touched the sound system in your car ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
How many of you wish they never touched the sound system in your car ??

Just that ... I wish i left it the way it is from factory.. I just cant get it to sound to my liking. I am really thinking to put the factory stuff back in and loose al the weight that i cary for nothing.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
What is your setup? There's always something to adjust or finish or whatever but I don't regret it. Sometimes it can be tedious but can't any mod?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
super happy I touched mine! and even happier that i am not a perfectionist. ie: I know when to stop!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
perfectly content with my factory setup. i dont really blast my radio, so it would be a waste of money for me to start modding mine.

however, i would like to upgrade the bluetooth to 4.0 so i can stream music instead of having to plug my phone in
Old 01-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by BukvaMan
Just that ... I wish i left it the way it is from factory.. I just cant get it to sound to my liking. I am really thinking to put the factory stuff back in and loose al the weight that i cary for nothing.
LOL that's why did my wife's ride first ... to have a clue what'm doing!
Once i got to my car i had a very good idea what i'm looking for and what components to get. Regardless, they both sound great and i would do it again in a blink of an eye ... had i the third car to fiddle with

TL's factory sound is merely Ok. Plenty loud, but both the quality and the imaging are rather poor, while the factory noise insulation it clearly below par.

I went with MS-8, having no desire to buy a bunch of extra amps or tune much.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by alphapiitm
perfectly content with my factory setup. i dont really blast my radio, so it would be a waste of money for me to start modding mine.

however, i would like to upgrade the bluetooth to 4.0 so i can stream music instead of having to plug my phone in
I don't usually blast mine either. A loud system is easy and relatively cheap. A sound quality system that gets loud is much harder. My point being its mostly about better than stock sound for me. The additional spl is a nice bonus.

With that said, there are times I wish I had never touched it.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by I hate cars
With that said, there are times I wish I had never touched it.
Those times don't happen right around the credit card statement dates, do they?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are our options adding music streaming through bluetooth??? this is something I really want in my car

as for the stock system, Im happy with it. sound is great if your not interested in cars next to you listening to your music.

Peace,

Rolan
Old 01-09-2013, 09:18 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by abirvalg
Those times don't happen right around the credit card statement dates, do they?
I wish. I don't have credit cards or my spending would be even more out of control. Credit cards would be the end of me financially with my lack of self control.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Received 300 Likes on 142 Posts
Well the speakers are OEM only thing I added was the US Spec PA15-HON3 iPod/iPhone integration.. but I have thought about looking into a replacement for the factory subwoofer.. but not sure how easy it is to access nor which options are available, havent searched yet.. still happy with how it sounds but I do recognize the entire system in my wifes MDX sounds much much better.. thats when I think I need to upgrade, when I use the SUV a couple of days..
Old 01-10-2013, 07:33 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by EL BAN
Well the speakers are OEM only thing I added was the US Spec PA15-HON3 iPod/iPhone integration.. but I have thought about looking into a replacement for the factory subwoofer.. but not sure how easy it is to access nor which options are available, havent searched yet.. still happy with how it sounds but I do recognize the entire system in my wifes MDX sounds much much better.. thats when I think I need to upgrade, when I use the SUV a couple of days..
That's it! Everybody is happy with what they have until they see or hear something better!

I deadened our Odyssey and that KILLED the stock system, so i ended up with an upgrade. And once i did, it sounded so much better than TL's that i wasn't able to let go. Volume was not the key here AT ALL. Better speakers, EQ and time alignment were. It's unhealthy and tiring to have anything play at over ~90db. And that's only 10-15db over road noise in some cars

You don't know what you're missing until you hear processed music. And i'm only using MS-8, which is bacically for cavemen. It needs no tools or expertise to tune.

If you want to replace the factory sub, keep in mind that rear deck can only handle so much vibration withour you having to pour cement into it My 8" Kicker can quickly push it over the edge, even with the added dampening. I'd love to hear what IHC's car sounds like with IB and whatever unreasonable size subs are in it today, cause when i turn it up just a bit my sunroof starts to move up and down!

Last edited by abirvalg; 01-10-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I Promise to Never Look Back !!!
Old 01-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Hmm - Wonder what is in the Box - A little something New and Hand Made by a True Craftman from the Old World............. Actually the Question was about back to the Original. If you look back, I've owed every driver know to man. I missed nothing. Better is not a term that can be used in Hi End audio. These however the entire ZR Lab collection are Creme De La Creme. Yes, these are the center of the universe !

Old 01-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Sexy
Old 01-10-2013, 05:03 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been reading on how to upgrade my speakers all day then I read this. I'm about to "cross-over" into that realm of modding my speakers etc. I traded in my 2nd generation for a 3rd generation TL. I'm under 70k, car runs fine. I just can't do the tape adapter anymore, I'm fed up! The tape itself makes all kinds of noise!!! My radio plays at volumes that are suitable for my needs. But the audio through my tape adapter is so flat an crappy sounding. I just read about this USB2P-HON1. I'm going to have it installed as soon as I finish this post. This is the first time EVER that I have changed or modded my sound system in any car. It just really puts a stitch in my craw when I take my car into get work done and they loan me one of the newer TSXs and the A2DP works flawlessly and sounds so great. I have a minimum of 3 cables in my car at all time. Tape, MicroUSB, and Ipod. I couldn't even shift this AM b/c the cables were wrapped around the shifter. I hope this adapter aleviates some of the pain. Wish me luck.

EML
Old 01-10-2013, 08:10 PM
Racer

70k ... hmmm
change your ATF filter!!!!!! before you change the speakers
Old 01-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Intermediate

how do you upgrade to bluetooth 4.0 ???
Old 01-20-2013, 09:26 PM
6th Gear

Bluetooth 4.0!? ATF filter!? Just got an 05 TL how can I get these things?
(automatic transmission filter?) sorry im a noob!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:52 AM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
$40 spent on Infinity tweeters makes the system sound so much crisper/alive I don't regret that one bit. I would upgrade the door speakers and sub but it already rattles enough as is.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:01 PM
5th Gear

honestly, im SO glad i messed with mine, i installed components in the front (replaced the oem and then drilled a spot for a tweeter in the door, looks oem) and changed the backs to 6X9 (more custom cutting but so worth it for the bass) with 2 10" subs for clarity in the back, little tl is pushing over 2000 watts of stupid clean sound.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by eatatjoes
honestly, im SO glad i messed with mine, i installed components in the front (replaced the oem and then drilled a spot for a tweeter in the door, looks oem) and changed the backs to 6X9 (more custom cutting but so worth it for the bass) with 2 10" subs for clarity in the back, little tl is pushing over 2000 watts of stupid clean sound.
I've got 2,100w of class D power with 1,600w going to the front stage, only 500w on a pair or rediculously efficient 15s. I understand lots of power for good sq and clean sound but I don't understand the 6x9s in the back for more bass. If the 10s are set up properly you shouldn't be able to tell a bit of difference in bass from the 6x9s.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:04 PM
Suzuka Master

So...... you cut the rear deck to fit 6x9's? hmnnnnnn
Old 01-21-2013, 11:18 PM
Team Owner

I rarely listen to mine. My faulty processor pops like I've never heard on cold mornings. I'm so surprised my tweeters are not blown. I'm seriously worried about one of them. I have to get the time to send it back for repair but for now on the rare occasion I want to listen to music I have to get the hair dryer out and heat it up before plugging the main fuse back in. So yes, nearly $10k (retail) in equipment that I rarely use. I've completely lost interest in car audio.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by pohljm
So...... you cut the rear deck to fit 6x9's? hmnnnnnn
yea a tiny bit of dremmel work and they fit in perfect, i wanted 6x9 full range speakers for better mid to mid-lows without having to get components installed for clean treble as well. its still kind of new and im still tuning it day to day, but i have not run across a performance issue, i would be livid if i spent 10k and it didn't work most of the time.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:24 PM
I like turtles

Received 139 Likes on 99 Posts
I would love to have bluetooth streaming but I have given up. Bought a tunelink and it was a giant waste of money..

If anyone else has found a better option PLEASE let me know.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by eatatjoes
yea a tiny bit of dremmel work and they fit in perfect, i wanted 6x9 full range speakers for better mid to mid-lows without having to get components installed for clean treble as well. its still kind of new and im still tuning it day to day, but i have not run across a performance issue, i would be livid if i spent 10k and it didn't work most of the time.
It's loud and clear and sounds absolutely amazing when it works but I've always had processor prolbems. The PS8 that I currently have has a popping upon startup on a cold day. I'm terrified it's going to blow my tweeters. Other people with the same problem are popping up. I've pretty much lost interest in car audio between money wasted on products I can't use and this popping I'm done. I can send it in anytime to have it repaired for free but I don't have the will power anymore.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
I sort of wish I hadn't played with mine. It was fun at the time, but the improvement in sound hasn't been worth the cost given how rarely I really blast audio. All I really wanted after is all was the isimple to add AUX and then maybe a bluetooth A2DP module. Maybe I'll change my mind if I ever embed a player in the car. Its just such a PITA to hook up my phone all the time I rarely use it like it should.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by geekybiker
I sort of wish I hadn't played with mine. It was fun at the time, but the improvement in sound hasn't been worth the cost given how rarely I really blast audio. All I really wanted after is all was the isimple to add AUX and then maybe a bluetooth A2DP module. Maybe I'll change my mind if I ever embed a player in the car. Its just such a PITA to hook up my phone all the time I rarely use it like it should.
I completely agree with you...
Old 01-25-2013, 05:59 AM
10th Gear

The sayings goes as human greed will eventually get to us; that being said I never touched anything in my base 2007 TL. Everything factory ... Just wished I brought it with nav :/
Old 01-25-2013, 11:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Redsand353
I would love to have bluetooth streaming but I have given up. Bought a tunelink and it was a giant waste of money..

If anyone else has found a better option PLEASE let me know.
Blackberry make a nice bluetooth to aux adapter. Music gateway 2. Retail is $50, but they seem out of stock at the moment.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

FWIW I found the gateway on crackberry.com and ordered one. Says in stock unlike everywhere else.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
As good as the TL is the stock audio system in it kinda sucks imo. The subwoofer is junk and the tweeters are crap. What's left is slightly above average at best and after 2 years of listening to it I decided to upgrade. Now I'm taking it a bit further than I originally intended but in the back of my mind I knew I would. I can be a bit of an overachiever. So we will see where it goes. So far no regrets but I'm just getting started.