How many songs can a DVD hold?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 10:47 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Following up, I loaded the Cirlinca software and am looking at it now.

You can drag audio in pretty much any supported format into the right-hand pane of the window because the software will encode it all in the correct format for playing on a DVD-Audio. So you can use .MP3, .WAV, .FLAC, etc. (Apple Lossless requires a separate converter, however). If you're ripping a CD to put it onto a DVD, you ought to use a lossless format like .WAV or .FLAC because there is no benefit to a lossy-compressed format like .MP3 when the software is just going to re-encode it to something else anyway (you can always delete the ripped files afterwards if you need the space).

Before burning the disc, click the "Export" menu at the top of the screen and then click on "Write." Then look at the boxes that come up on the right side of your screen. The "Write" tab should be selected. Make sure to check the box that says "DVD-Audio" and make sure the other three boxes are unchecked. You can also have the software create the .ISO file for the DVD-Audio without burning it directly to disc if you like (useful if, say, you have a concert bootleg or a "mixed tape DVD" and you want to make multiple copies), although I just have it write directly to the DVD by selecting said radio button. On the "DVD Settings" tab I have it set to "optimize for gapless inter-track," although it's never made much difference.

That all does the job for me. The other thing I always do before clicking the "Write" button is that I disable my screen saver and exit my Web browser since those are the two most disk-intensive things I have running. I've found it seems like I get more bad burns if I have the system doing something else when I'm burning, so now I avoid activity as much as possible. I start it burning and then I go take a dump or get something to eat or whatever.

The big thing to remember with DVD-Audio is that you're not simply copying files to a high-capacity disk. It's not like 30 years ago where you put a floppy disk in each drive and typed "diskcopy a: b:" at the DOS prompt. You're re-encoding all the files into a different format (the potentially very big .ISO file) and then burning that re-encoded data onto the DVD. That's why simply loading up a DVD with .MP3s, or .WAVs, or whatever doesn't work.

BTW, I can't help you as to playing an .MP3 CD in the TL because I have a 2004 TL and it doesn't support that format. They introduced that in either 2006 or 2007. The 2004 will play a DTS-encoded CD, but I only have one or two of those and I hardly ever play one of them (Venus and Mars by Wings) because it was mastered from the quadraphonic master tape and the tracks are all in the wrong order compared to the original LP and I find it annoying.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:05 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by 1995hoo
To play a DVD on the stock stereo, it MUST be a DVD-Audio disc. It can't play a "data" disc. Since you're using Cirlinca, you can start with .MP3 or .WAV or .FLAC and, as long as you use the correct setting in the software, it should convert everything to the proper format for you. I'm typing this on my iPad and my PC isn't on, but if I remember, I will try to look at the software later today to confirm how the proper options are labelled and I'll follow up then.

I believe, but do not know for sure, the gist of the technical reason for above is that CDs and DVDs use a different form of encoding (makes sense, given the vastly different capacity on the same physical size disc) and the TL's stereo is programmed only for DVD-Audio (which itself uses a different encoding from other DVDs).

Can't help on the DVD+R issue because I've never tried that format.
I just re-read this thread and thought I should clarify the final sentence of the post above. I've never tried DVD+R because I remember back when I first took an issue in burning my own DVD-Audio discs (probably around 2008 in advance of a trip to Nova Scotia in the TL), several people said they'd had bad results using DVD+R discs but that DVD-R worked fine. So I've always bought DVD-R and have never bothered to try the other format.

The one thing I do spring for that costs a little extra is that I buy LightScribe DVD-Rs so I can burn a label to the other side listing what's in each group on the disc. When one DVD can hold several different albums by several different artists, that sort of thing is very helpful. (The DVD-Audio disc I was playing in the car this afternoon has a separate group for each artist: Bob Marley, Roger McGuinn, the Traveling Wilburys, Queen, REM, and John Cougar Mellencamp. Try keeping track of all that WITHOUT a label!)
Old 08-16-2014, 08:43 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
What is DVD-Audio?

DVD-Audio is a standard for storing uncompressed high quality stereo or multi-channel audio content on a standard DVD disk. Supported sampling frequencies range from 44.1KHz (the Red-Book CD Audio standard) up to 192KHz, with sampling depths of 16, 20 or 24 bits.

A single DVD can contain both DVD-Audio content (in the AUDIO_TS directory) and DVD-Video content (in the VIDEO_TS directory). Most DVD players only recognise and playback the VIDEO_TS content, but an increasing number of dual-format players can play the contents of the AUDIO_TS as well. Such players will display the DVD-Audio logo.

A single DVD-Audio disk is referred to as an Album. An Album can consist of up to 9 Groups, each containing up to 99 Tracks. In addition, the contents of the AUDIO_TS directory can contain references to objects in the VIDEO_TS directory (but not vice-versa).
http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/