How do you permanently kill the HFL?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 03:22 PM
2006 TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you permanently kill the HFL?

Hi Guys,
My 2nd HFL unit died about 9 months or so ago, and recently I've been having battery drain problems. After searching the forum, it looks like dead HFL love to kill batteries!

Anyhow, since it died, I've purchased an aftermarket handsfree device that works a heck of a lot better then the HFL ever did.

So my question, how can I permanently disable the HFL so it doesn't drain my battery? Is there a simple connector that I can just unplug somewhere?
Old 02-26-2012, 03:53 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you can unplug it from the Dome/sun roof switch. you have to remove the top part to get in the HFL module.
this link will probably help you do that.
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/hfl-module-replacement-06-tl-843512/
Good Luck
The following users liked this post:
gnl63 (02-26-2012)
Old 02-26-2012, 04:31 PM
2006 TL

Originally Posted by aznandy26
you can unplug it from the Dome/sun roof switch. you have to remove the top part to get in the HFL module.
this link will probably help you do that.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843512
Good Luck
Thanks a bunch, this link was perfect. I just did it, now let's hope that the battery stops draining
Old 02-27-2012, 02:57 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What was the aftermarket HFL you purchased??
Old 02-28-2012, 11:36 AM
2006 TL

Originally Posted by tegman2
What was the aftermarket HFL you purchased??
I bought a stand-alone bluetooth speakerphone. It's a Jabra Freeway, it has it's pros and cons, but IMO it is leaps better than the built in HFL. No fault of Acura. The problem with any built-in tech, is that it get's out of date, fast, and there is little that can be done, other than putting in after-maket.

Pros:
  • Smallish, clips to the sun visor, out of the way
  • Works with my iPhone 4s without fail
  • iPhone shows unit's battery level
  • solid voice sound quality
  • Charges up pretty fast, i usually charge once a month on my 30 minute drive home
  • It can trigger Siri from the unit without having to take my phone out of my pocket (yes, i actually use Siri)
  • Auto connects when you get near the car
  • I can take the unit out and use it as a emergency conference speakerphone when I'm off-site

Cons:
  • Has to be charged
  • Hard for people to hear you when driver window is open and you're going over 40mph
  • Since the unit is always connected to your phone, sometimes it won't pass through the Mail or text alert sounds that the phone normally makes.
  • It does stream bluetooth audio from your phone, but honestly the speaker is great for hearing calls, but it's not built for music.
  • Price - it was $120 when it first came out, i don't know what it costs now

Here is a picture of what it looks like on my visor.

And here is a picture of my iPhone showing the Freeeway's battery level, upper right hand corner. There are a fair amount of bluetooth devices that show the battery level on the iPhone. I think it's a must for any bluetooth device.