How do you copy dvd-A or DTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 01:30 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you copy dvd-A or DTS

How can I copy DVD-A or DTS discs and get them to play on my TL, so far it doesn't read the copied disc. Has anyone had any luck in this area?
Old 12-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Yes it is possible.

With a quick search on DTS*, I found these threads:
There are many more.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:18 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

Most commercial DVD-As use CPPM copy protection, and some disks also have watermarks as well. I've heard that CPPM is easily cracked, but watermarks are not. If you copy a DVDA and it has watermarks it will play for about 30seconds then cut out for 30 seconds then repeat. It won't give a format error and eject the disc.

Someone here experimented with Wavelab and found that the extracted 5.1 (6)channels can be played back individually on the PC so maybe Wavelab does not see or care about the watermarks (?). If you then author a DVDA with those stripped out channels the disk will play 30sec then cut out. But...using the same files to author a DTS-CD would likely result in a playable disk. Unfortunately the TL has some problems in DTS playback. The pop and click syndrome. Can screw up speakers but some disks pop and others are excellent.

Seems to me I've seen all sorts of DTS CDs as torrents on places like isohunt.com so I guess someome must be downloading them.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by datmrman
Yes it is possible.

With a quick search on DTS*, I found these threads:
There are many more.
Wow, just learned something new about the search function! I always had problems when searching for short words like "DTS". I always got this message:

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : dts
I never realized that you could type DTS* (with the * at the end)

Thanks datmrman!
Old 12-08-2006, 12:52 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Awesome! That is the reason why I usually post the keywords I used for my searches. The search feature requires that a keyword contains at least 4 characters/letters. By simply adding an asterisk (*) to the end of a three letter word, you can bypass that requirement.

Don't worry. Not a lot of members know about this either.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:38 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

Originally Posted by datmrman
Awesome! That is the reason why I usually post the keywords I used for my searches. The search feature requires that a keyword contains at least 4 characters/letters. By simply adding an asterisk (*) to the end of a three letter word, you can bypass that requirement.

Don't worry. Not a lot of members know about this either.
This should be posted in the main forum so people can get better use out of the search utility. Might be nice to "sticky" board usage "tips" like this every month. I can remember many searches that were useless because of the 3 character restriction. Oh..and the damn time restrictions.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:35 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Thoughts on 5.1 content

After searching some torrent sites for "DTS audio" and "DVDA", I noticed many "upmix" DTS CDs. I would avoid these unless you really like the music.

DTS Upmixes or 5.1 Upmixes are NOT real 5.1 mixes. By "real" I mean originally recorded as 5.1. Upmixes are stereo tracks bastardized into a 5.1 mix using software. Sometimes this actually works well, other times it just sounds "phased out" and not so good. So unless you really like the band or there is no other 5.1 content available, avoid the upmixes.

I've been told that much of the stuff is ripped from live concert DVDs. This is not good content for 5.1 so I'd avoid most of that as well. An exception might be Morcheeba in Brixton. She is just plain cute.. if you like that sort of thing.

Some of the cleanest 5.1 material I have heard is from Blue Man Group, Pat Metheney, Queen, Dave Brubeck, Herbie Hancock, George Benson, Grover Washington, REM, Sting, Cafe Del Mar and Nora Jones. Some of the surround sound demos are spectacular and worth checking out. Some are royalty free so can be downloaded free here: http://www.sr.se/cgi-bin/mall/index.asp?ProgramID=2446

Personally I think rock music on 5.1 is not as dramatic as jazz or instrumental and I 'd have to say Sting has crossed the line into the jazz world on many albums. I only wish B-Tribe would release a DVDA.