iLink NOT Compatible With New iPod Nano or 80GB Color iPod; All Other Models Ok

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Advanced

Location: On the banks of a filthy river in east TX ruled by crooked cops, brazen women and pansexual cowboys.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation iLink NOT Compatible With New iPod Nano or 80GB Color iPod; All Other Models Ok

Evening Ladies and Gents,

Just got of the phone with Valor Multimedia and wanted to pass along some interesting information regarding the iLink.

The current iLink will not support the following products:
  • Newest iPod Nanos (the multi-colored ones): Valor mentioned the iPod OS was revised on the latest Nano's rendering the iLink incompatible with the device.
  • 80GB Color iPod: sadly the current version of the iLink does not have enough memory (it only has 8MBs!) to index the 80GB iPod. This problem only applies to the 80GB one and smaller iPod should work.

If you have an iPod and it's not on the above list, it should work.

Valor is aware of these issues and plans on correcting them by releasing a new version of the iLink (e.g. iLink 2.0). The timetable for the release of this new product is set to be after Apple releases the next generation of iPods (rumored to be ~120GB's). The rational for this is they suspect Apple of using an updated OS for the iPod (similar to the OS on the new nano) and do not want to sink in the R/D costs until they are sure the returns will be there to justify the financial investment.

...which is just a fancy way of saying they don't want to spend the $$$ to make a product only to have it become obsolete when Apple releases the next generation of iPods.

Valor is unsure of how long it take them to develop "iLink 2.0" but they will start working on it as soon as Apple furnishes them with the specs of the next generation iPod.
Okay… so should I buy an iLink?
Well, if you have an iPod which is compatible (or are planning on buying a compatible one) than I'd consider it as I'd guess we're looking at a timeframe of at least a year before the new one comes onto the shelf. Plus when the time does come to upgrade the 'ol iPod, Valor is planning on keeping the cable configuration the same -- meaning all you'd have to do is replace the central unit and not and of the wires.

Happy driving y'all.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:19 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Thanks for the post. Good example of why I don't own any Apple products. They just don't want to share any of the money.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:44 PM
Racer

Another nail in the coffin for Honda's 1st-gen iLink

So the 2nd-generation Nano is not compatible. For anyone interested in getting the current iLink, WAIT.

As for me, I may get the '07 TL with the AUX input. It's not the best iPod integration solution (can't charge/sound could be a little better perhaps), but at least everything is compatible with it.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:50 AM
Advanced

Location: On the banks of a filthy river in east TX ruled by crooked cops, brazen women and pansexual cowboys.
Originally Posted by dampfnudel
So the 2nd-generation Nano is not compatible. For anyone interested in getting the current iLink, WAIT.

As for me, I may get the '07 TL with the AUX input. It's not the best iPod integration solution (can't charge/sound could be a little better perhaps), but at least everything is compatible with it.
Just a second there - I'm talking about the Valor iLink not the Acura Music Link.

Photo of iLink

If you have an alternative method of playing music (e.g. Harmon Kardon's Drive+Play), a compatible iPod and are looking for a way to play multimedia content via the Nav screen the iLink is still a strong product.

Originally Posted by MR
Good example of why I don't own any Apple products. They just don't want to share any of the money.
Apple certainly does believe in doing business in a 'our way or the highway' line of thought but I do not think this to be the case here.

Per my conversation yesterday with Valor (the manufacture of the iLink) it turns out Apple actually likes what they're doing (for the most part) and intends on supporting Valor with the technical know-how to build the second-generation iLink. But as we all know, Apple is renowned for their secrecy, attention to detail and …analness when it comes to products - especially new ones.

The iPods have been a godsend and help Apple restore their stogy image of the mid-nineties (to say nothing of dramatically improving the bottom line). iPods (and subsequently iTunes) have allowed Apple to capture 70%+ of the digital music market (last time I checked) and you can bet that they are very determined to keep this profitable position. Their already established culture of secrecy, profitability of the iPod, past threats as well as the black storm on the horizon of MSFT's well funded Zune will exert even more pressure on Apple to develop bigger and better products, in secrecy, in an attempt to retain their market leading position.

As such, even though the next generation iPod probably is already developed I would be surprised if Apple allowed potential iPod partners, such as Valor or Acura, have an early copy/specs for fear the competition may learn what Apple has up their sleeve and leapfrog them. So Apple stays quiet on the subject, the partners stay in the dark and the consumers are stuck with having to choose waiting indefinitely for an updated product or buying one with technical limitations.

<shrug>
Old 10-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Cruisin'

There goes my dream of perfect ipod integration with my car. oh well. That's what I get for waiting and getting the 80 gig ipod. But it was $50 cheaper and had an extra 20 gigs so what can I say!
Old 10-13-2006, 01:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Just a second there - I'm talking about the Valor iLink not the Acura Music Link.

Photo of iLink
My bad.

What about the Acura Music Link ? Does anyone know if the 2G Nano is compatible with it ?
Old 10-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Not worth your troubles.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:06 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

I don't disagree with anything that you say here. The fact remains that though the Ipod is a great product with little if any real competition, I have managed to not buy one. I'm part of the old public that has a long memory about past business practices. Still, even though Apple changed practices somewhat with the Ipod by allowing a cottage industry to develop accessories, they are still Apple inside. Witness th lack of compatability for accessories from one model to the next. Once they get their hand in your pocket it must be cut off to remove it; pass thanks. Just one old guys

Originally Posted by J.Edward

Photo of iLink

If you have an alternative method of playing music (e.g. Harmon Kardon's Drive+Play), a compatible iPod and are looking for a way to play multimedia content via the Nav screen the iLink is still a strong product.

Apple certainly does believe in doing business in a 'our way or the highway' line of thought but I do not think this to be the case here.

Per my conversation yesterday with Valor (the manufacture of the iLink) it turns out Apple actually likes what they're doing (for the most part) and intends on supporting Valor with the technical know-how to build the second-generation iLink. But as we all know, Apple is renowned for their secrecy, attention to detail and …analness when it comes to products - especially new ones.

The iPods have been a godsend and help Apple restore their stogy image of the mid-nineties (to say nothing of dramatically improving the bottom line). iPods (and subsequently iTunes) have allowed Apple to capture 70%+ of the digital music market (last time I checked) and you can bet that they are very determined to keep this profitable position. Their already established culture of secrecy, profitability of the iPod, past threats as well as the black storm on the horizon of MSFT's well funded Zune will exert even more pressure on Apple to develop bigger and better products, in secrecy, in an attempt to retain their market leading position.

As such, even though the next generation iPod probably is already developed I would be surprised if Apple allowed potential iPod partners, such as Valor or Acura, have an early copy/specs for fear the competition may learn what Apple has up their sleeve and leapfrog them. So Apple stays quiet on the subject, the partners stay in the dark and the consumers are stuck with having to choose waiting indefinitely for an updated product or buying one with technical limitations.

<shrug>
Old 10-14-2006, 09:53 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by MR1
I don't disagree with anything that you say here. The fact remains that though the Ipod is a great product with little if any real competition, I have managed to not buy one. I'm part of the old public that has a long memory about past business practices. Still, even though Apple changed practices somewhat with the Ipod by allowing a cottage industry to develop accessories, they are still Apple inside. Witness th lack of compatability for accessories from one model to the next. Once they get their hand in your pocket it must be cut off to remove it; pass thanks. Just one old guys
I understand what you mean, but I believe that this is a normal issue with electronics in general. There's a lack of compatibility with Acura parts and upgrades as well. So it's not just apple.

And if you just take a look at the technology that came with the Gen 1 ipod compared to the ones out now, the only thing that's the same about them is the name. They are totally different machines with similar interfaces. I myself will probably never use the ipod for pictures or tv, and I feel like there are a lot of places where it can be improved, but there isn't another MP3 player on the market that can come close to offering 80 gb for $349. That is just a great deal that I couldn't pass up.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:24 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

My decision to say no may defy logic to some.
IMHO, electronics (computers) have reached a stage where lots of parts are interchangabe. MPC players mostly use standard batteries, but not Ipods just as one glaring example.

Sony is another company that acts like Apple. Who the heck needs a memory stick when we already had CF and SD? Sony and Apple both have a history of developing propritary (sp?) accessories and bending you over the table when you need something.

They are both innovative organizations that have come out with some great products. Both the 40 and 80 GB Ipod models are attractively priced. Based on the prior paragraph and a lack of real need, still I say no thanks but I'm not mad at anybody that says yes.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:48 PM
Advanced

Exclamation Important Update

Posted by revo on this thread:
"...I bought the 5th Gen 30G video iPod that was just released a month ago. At that time software version 1.2 was loaded onto to the iPod.

Apple just released software update 1.2.1 which I updated to accidentally. THE VALOR iLINK DOES NOT SUPPORT VERSION 1.2.1.

Also you can't revert back to version 1.2 on the iPod.

Version 1.2 is supported on the iLink.

Be warned that

*any* video iPod that is updated to software version 1.2.1 will NOT work with the iLink.

Make sure your version 1.2 or before that. After talking with Valor apparently one of the reasons that the new iPod software is available is to specifically block the iPod from working with a non-approved Apple accessories."

(Emphasis Added)
Old 12-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Intermediate

MusicLink crashing iTunes

I have a 4G 20Gb iPod, MusicLink 1.3 and iTunes 7.0.2 running on WinXP.

I recently tried my first synch since upgrading both iTunes and ML. I've never had a problem in the past with either.

Now iTunes will crash after converting about 40-50 TTS files, and I have to stop ML from the task switcher and the CPU is buried.

Once I restart iTunes and ML, it all starts normally, but will crash again after the next 40-50 files.

I've heard of problems on iTunes 7 and with other iPods, but not this problem. Could it be the Acura TTS software? Where can I find version 1.0 of the TTS software?