How to determine version of Navigation software?

Old 04-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How to determine version of Navigation software?

How can I determine what version of the Navigation software is installed in an 08 Type-S? The screen gives a "incompatible versions" error message. The disc is a white one that says Ver 4.55A on it. Didn't see any system-level menus that would tell me this information. Any ideas?
Old 04-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
It says it right there on the disk...also, wrong section.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Go to acuranavi.com and check your disk version with what is compatible for your car. The latest is V4A2 which is different from what you have- the color is correct though. You can buy a new disk for $99 though
Old 04-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Undying Dreams
It says it right there on the disk...also, wrong section.

Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
Go to acuranavi.com and check your disk version with what is compatible for your car. The latest is V4A2 which is different from what you have- the color is correct though. You can buy a new disk for $99 though
Thanks for the replies, but I think you guys misunderstood me. I need to find out the version of the software that is downloaded to (I'm guessing) the navigation unit. I know what version the disk I have is (v4.55A), but I don't know what version the navigation unit is looking for. Is there any way I can possibly upgrade/downgrade the navigation unit software to match the v4.55A disk that's in the unit?

PS: This is a car I'm trying to buy but the "incompatible version" error tells me the nav doesn't work (big turnoff). Just trying to see if there's a way to make the versions match without buying/servicing anything.

Thanks
Old 04-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Hmm, I'd make the dealer figure it out and fix it, the Navi can be VERY expensive. (If you're buying from a dealer.)
Old 04-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by dudeinaTL
Is there any way I can possibly upgrade/downgrade the navigation unit software to match the v4.55A disk that's in the unit?

PS: This is a car I'm trying to buy but the "incompatible version" error tells me the nav doesn't work (big turnoff). Just trying to see if there's a way to make the versions match without buying/servicing anything.
I don't know if there is a way to reset to the original software version through the diagnosis menus.
I do know that the easiest way to update the Navi is to get a new [white] Navi disc ($99 plus tax and maybe shipping) so the Navi can download the current software from it.

If there is a problem with the drive, the DVD drive would be shipped to an Alpine facility in Torrance, CA and will cost @ $160 to repair.
The following users liked this post:
dudeinaTL (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Will Y.
I don't know if there is a way to reset to the original software version through the diagnosis menus.
I do know that the easiest way to update the Navi is to get a new [white] Navi disc ($99 plus tax and maybe shipping) so the Navi can download the current software from it.

If there is a problem with the drive, the DVD drive would be shipped to an Alpine facility in Torrance, CA and will cost @ $160 to repair.
Thanks! You mentioned diagnosis menu...did some searches & figured out I could just press "menu/setup/cancel" which brings it up. Then by going to the "Version" tab, there's a "download" button...I just happen to hit it to see what happens & I guess it downloaded the software off of the old disk. Took a couple minutes & now nav works.

Guess this means the Nav DVD disks contain the software as well as maps.

Thanks for the leads...was really gonna avoid this car if the nav unit was defective.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Glad you got it working.

Originally Posted by dudeinaTL
Then by going to the "Version" tab, there's a "download" button...
Guess this means the Nav DVD disks contain the software as well as maps.
Each DVD version (and sub-version as designated by a lower case letter) contains operating software updates, which are normally downloaded automatically upon loading into the drive.

I just didn't know before if there was a way to download a prior software version if an updated disc was inserted, then replaced by an older DVD.

Last edited by Will Y.; 04-11-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Will Y.
I just didn't know before if there was a way to download a prior software version if an updated disc was inserted, then replaced by an older DVD.
Yep, it's like this:

old software + new disc = nav unit automatically downloads when disc inserted

new software + old disc = nav unit gives error [before you even get to the "OK" screen]. However, going to the System Menu/Version/Download, you can downgrade the software on the nav unit to match what's on the disc.