How to burn mp3 on DVD and have it work

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
How to burn mp3 on DVD and have it work

I attempted to burn my mp3 songs onto a DVD-R using Nero and my '07 TL tries to read it and spits it out. I can't make sense of it, the system reads mp3's for 2007. It reads my mp3's that were burned onto CD-R.

1st attempt - burned as data DVD (dumb and didn't work)

2nd attempt - burned as audio DVD (still didn't work)
Old 12-27-2006, 04:10 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Odds are it only recognizes mp3 on CD media... NOT DVD.

Sorry to bust that bubble.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
That's not cool. I would assume I need to do the whole DVD-A thing that others are doing.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:43 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Bought My 07 Tl Type S And I Was Actually Interested In Doing The Same Thing...and Tried The Same Thing You Did And It Never Worked
What Is This Dvd-a Thing Your Talking About? Does It Work In The 07 Tl's?
Old 12-27-2006, 05:02 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
nothing "not cool" about it.

Originally Posted by mavz44
That's not cool. I would assume I need to do the whole DVD-A thing that others are doing.
Just burn them on CD. The "mp3 on DVD" is not going to work. The stereo DVD-A thing is for us 04-06 crowd or those that want lots of truly CD quality songs on DVDs.

Ultimately in an 07 your best bet (to listen to crappy sounding compressed music) is a separate player (iPod, Zune, etc.) plugged in via the aux in jack that we didn't get in the 04-06 cars. That way you don't have to deal with any disks and your music is transportable to wherever you go. Why have the lousy sounding mp3s if they aren't portable to wherever you go? I love my iPod because of it's convenience, not it's sound quality. Burning mp3 CDs would just be a nuisance.

BTW - Do not overlook multi-channel DVD-As. They are really pretty cool.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:08 PM
now with four rings

i've burned plenty of mp3 cd's before and loved them...i don't understand why you call them lousy....unless you're turning your volume way the hell up looking for distortion...they've always sounded extremely clear to me...at least with mp3 cds you get at least 120 songs per disc that don't need a Li-Ion battery recharged...
Old 12-27-2006, 06:27 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by mavz44
Adobeman's script on how to create DVD-As from your regular music files works so much better to me. ive never been a fan of MP3s anyway, and by being able to burn all my CDs into one dvd, it saves me a lot of hassle of shuffling through the CD changer for my favorite song(s).

you should try it sometime. its really worth it
Old 12-27-2006, 07:11 PM
2007 NBP TL-S

Note that a CD with MP3's hold about the same amount of songs as going the DVD-A route.
And if you're burning DVD-A's from MP3 then the sound will be the same.

For me, plugging the MP3 player (with songs in a decent encoded bit rate lke 192 or 256) in the 'aux in' would be the way to go.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:31 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rimz
i've burned plenty of mp3 cd's before and loved them...i don't understand why you call them lousy....unless you're turning your volume way the hell up looking for distortion...they've always sounded extremely clear to me...at least with mp3 cds you get at least 120 songs per disc that don't need a Li-Ion battery recharged...
Not to speak too much for someone else, but I'm sure he's talking about "lousy" in the sense that many mp3 files (like ones you get from peer-to-peer filesharing programs like Kazaa, LimeWire, Bearshare, or whatever) have bitrates in the 126 kbps -- or lower -- range. At that bitrate, music sounds lousy; especially music with complex high frequency sounds (i.e. kick-ass rock and roll with smokin' guitar solos ). It's hard to argue with that. If you're ripping tracks straight from CD and going with 320 kbps, then it'll sound pretty good, as that is a nearly lossless quality. I'd say that if you're doing it that way (320 kbps), it's worth your time and the cost of a DVD to go ahead an burn one full of mp3s. Be sure you're doing it right, though, or else your player won't be able to read it.

You're not going to find too many of those high-quality mp3s on filesharing programs, as (obviously) ripping tracks at that bitrate creates larger files, which, as discussed in great length in other threads, is something that "today's younger generation doesn't want" because they'd rather have more songs at a "lousy" quality on their iPod than fewer songs at a better, closer to lossless quality. I guess when you have only 30 GB of storage, you really need to get those extra songs on there and sacrifice the quality of the music. (insert sarcastic smiley here)
Old 12-28-2006, 07:34 AM
now with four rings

good point brettallica...i just assumed if you're going to burn mp3 cd's that they would be of decent quality...90% of the songs i have are from p2p networks and i don't download anything less than 128kbps...so i've never had a problem with lousy mp3's before...but yeah, if you've got a 30 or 60gb ipod to plug into, then obviously that might be the better route if you're going for quantity...
Old 12-28-2006, 09:24 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by brettallica
...but I'm sure he's talking about "lousy" in the sense that many mp3 files (like ones you get from peer-to-peer filesharing programs like Kazaa, LimeWire, Bearshare, or whatever) have bitrates in the 126 kbps -- or lower -- range...
Yes. I typically encode with LAME's "extreme" preset which is a VBR algorithm that typically ends up with an average in the 250 area. It will yield smaller files than a CBR 320 but still use a significant amount of 320 rate when needed. I have thought about using Apple loss-less and or moding my iPod to play FLAC but then I lose the "universal" appeal of mp3.

Now, that said, it is still very easy to hear the difference (via the iPods docking connector line out with iPod EQ set to "off") between my encoded files and the original CDs. mp3 files "found via other sources" can be really bad for sure.

I'm not trying to be the "mp3 killjoy" They sound pretty good via the headphones and my player allows me to have music in places I never dreamed I could. I just get kind of bummed out when they are considered to be any kind of true audio quality. See the problem is that perception can become reality and we could soon be left with only satellite radio, lossy compressed audio and crappy digital cable (don't confuse it with Digital TV) ... all delivery methods that favor quantity over quality.

Lastly in the 3G TL, Acura included a system that plays DVD-A, DTS, CD, XM and has an aux via CDC capability. In 07 they then added the capability of mp3/wma on CD, CD Text, AND and a 1/8" aux in jack. I'm not sure there really is anything legitimate left to bitch about with the system. Certainly not the the fact that it won't play mp3 on DVD.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:21 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Adobeman
I'm not sure there really is anything legitimate left to bitch about with the system. Certainly not the the fact that it won't play mp3 on DVD.
People will ALWAYS find something to comlain about. I agree with you, though.

The funny thing about this thread is the inherent dichotomy in the original complaint: "my TL's stereo system won't play mp3s!! Boo hoo!!" To me, that's like complaining that your blu-ray disc player won't play VHS tapes. Different worlds, man...different worlds.

I bet Elliot Scheiner (ELS engineer/developer) cringes in his sleep when reading posts of this nature. ELS 5.1 Surround wasn't designed to play mp3s, so why "dumb it down" (for lack of a better term) by trying to play mp3s on it? ELS was designed with the highest quality audio output in mind; mp3s (generally speaking) are anything but that.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:56 PM
Racer

The TL system will not do what I call a full random play between all CDs...it is only random on the selected CD.....the MP3 to CD or DVD would allow random play with many more songs...be it some what less quality...

Infiniti has had full random for several years and of course they now have the storage for many songs...wish Acura would get with it on this issue..