Honda (Acura?) Music Link iPod Adapter Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006 | 10:16 AM
Cruisin'

Honda (Acura?) Music Link iPod Adapter Review

Hey everyone... I've seen mention of both the Honda Music Link kit and my review elsewhere throughout this board, but I thought I'd take a moment to post a link to the review here for those who haven't seen it. Best I can tell, this is the exact same piece of kit that is used on Acuras as well.
Because I was so dissatisfied with the Honda Music Link, I've simply taken to building my own iPod mount / adapter. As of last night I just have one wiring harness left to build, etch the PCB for inside of the box where everything connects together, wait for a few parts, and install everything. There are photos of everything I've been working on here:
And I've also been making random notes about it all in a LiveJournal which can be found here:
I'm trying to respond to email about the site as I get it, but the review is seeming been more popular than I estimated and it has been a bit overwhelming.

Anyway, I hope it's useful...

-Steve
Old 01-16-2006 | 10:30 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by c0nsumer
Hey everyone... I've seen mention of both the Honda Music Link kit and my review elsewhere throughout this board,

Where is there mention of "your" review on this site anywhere....this is your first post here dude? Looks like another bitter consumer senselessly bitching again!
Old 01-16-2006 | 10:38 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Where is there mention of "your" review on this site anywhere....this is your first post here dude? Looks like another bitter consumer senselessly bitching again!
Here is one, to start. And I don't think it's really bitching, but more discussing how the kit doesn't live up to expectations thrown out by Honda. Nor is the very usable for people who have large music collections. Hell, a Honda CSR suggested I write things down on a piece of paper to make the kit more usable. In my opinion the need for on-paper notes as to how to use it is a clear sign of an improperly designed product.

-Steve
Old 01-16-2006 | 12:55 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by c0nsumer
Here is one, to start. And I don't think it's really bitching, but more discussing how the kit doesn't live up to expectations thrown out by Honda. Nor is the very usable for people who have large music collections. Hell, a Honda CSR suggested I write things down on a piece of paper to make the kit more usable. In my opinion the need for on-paper notes as to how to use it is a clear sign of an improperly designed product.

-Steve
I stand corrected! (not the first time!) But...that does make this constitute as a 100% repost then! And you see how much action/attention that thread got! Not one response..... Thanks for the info though....I was thinking about one of those music link things...but still cannot figure out for the life of me why I would need an Ipod? Trying to justify that I would actually use it.....

Sorry man....it just seems that whenever somebody comes on here with a low/no post history and then immediately starts to complain or knock something right off - either has a motive of some sort (selling something) or they have an axe to burn! You do provide informative info though...but it does beg the question, selling or axe to burn?
Old 01-16-2006 | 12:58 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

The local store around the corner from me tells me they sell 25 Ipods a day and return(take back) over 14 Ipods a day from consumers that cant figure out how they work or dont like the interface? Not sure of the connection there....but there has to be one.
Old 01-16-2006 | 01:21 PM
Cruisin'

I stand corrected! (not the first time!) But...that does make this constitute as a 100% repost then! And you see how much action/attention that thread got! Not one response..... Thanks for the info though....I was thinking about one of those music link things...but still cannot figure out for the life of me why I would need an Ipod? Trying to justify that I would actually use it.....
Eh, personally, I've got a huge music collection and I used to carry a goodly number of CDs with me at a time. This way I can just have a single smaller box and I find it more convenient. To each their own, though... Not everyone really has a use for one.

Sorry man....it just seems that whenever somebody comes on here with a low/no post history and then immediately starts to complain or knock something right off - either has a motive of some sort (selling something) or they have an axe to burn! You do provide informative info though...but it does beg the question, selling or axe to burn?
Naw, I agree. That's normally how trolls / spamming ends up happening. Someone who read my review pointed me to this forum via email, so I figured I'd pop in and contribute what I could. I know I'm definitely not selling anything. (I don't want to custom manufacturer any iPod connection kits myself, as I can only imagine the liability if something gets screwed up.) I can't say there's an 'axe to burn' (isn't it grind?) so much as I'd just like to keep other people from being as disappointed as I was.

I feel that I wasted ~$180 on a piece of equipment which really didn't seem to do what was initially claimed. I understand that the part can't be returned, so I'm instead doing what I can to ensure that others don't have the same experience.

At the same time I'm making myself a different style iPod connection (that's the photo gallery I linked to, along with the description at the end of the review) and hopefully those photos and descriptions will help others to do the same. I can only imagine that the Honda Navigation Unit and Aux In connect in a very similar manner to those in an Acura, so the info is likely useful here, too.

-Steve
Old 01-16-2006 | 01:25 PM
Cruisin'

The local store around the corner from me tells me they sell 25 Ipods a day and return(take back) over 14 Ipods a day from consumers that cant figure out how they work or dont like the interface? Not sure of the connection there....but there has to be one.
Really? That surprises me... I've heard of plenty of people having problems getting iTunes on Windows to work with syncing with their iPods, but I haven't heard of issues with the interface of the device itself. It's pretty simple, and it's very well documented.

< shrug >

Well, some people just don't know how to use anything unless someone shows them, I guess...

-Steve
Old 01-16-2006 | 01:36 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Ya....but I am still trying to justify the purchase. (this is a first too...ususally just go straight to the "buy stage"! lol) I guess I am so used to the CD hub-bub that it doesnt press the issue. I gotta check one of these things out some day in action in a car or something....maybe that would change my mind?

But hey....worthy cause and thanks for the information.....god knows I dont need to waste any more money!