Homelink Range Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 02:50 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Homelink Range Problem

Starting this week, I have to be in my driveway in order for the garage door opener to receive the Homelink signal from my car. I used to be able to do it from about 150 feet away.

I suppose I should try reprogramming it, but has anyone else had this issue?
Old 05-25-2006, 03:53 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I've never tried to see how far away it works, but the weird thing for me is when I back out of the garage, I always stop in the driveway, hit the button, and watch until the door is down (this because a prior garage door opener was unreliable and the door would sometimes autoreverse, so I want to make sure it stays down before I drive away). Anyway, some days if I stop at the bottom of the driveway, the thing just doesn't respond and I have to pull back up closer to the garage and hit it again, and then it works. Very weird. I do not have a long driveway at all (I live in a townhouse), so I have no idea why this happens.

I wonder if it has something to do with the rolling code garage door opener. I had a new opener installed in March and I have only had this issue since then; with my old opener, which was not a rolling code, I never had this issue (but it was the POJ opener I mentioned above).
Old 05-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluenoise
Starting this week, I have to be in my driveway in order for the garage door opener to receive the Homelink signal from my car. I used to be able to do it from about 150 feet away.

Where are you located in conjunction to the nearest military base? This may be a longshot but there is an issue frequencies of garage door openers affecting military systems. Since the federal goverment controls them alot of the frequencies were changed/modified to prevent our doors from affecting them. You can Google it and read for yourself. I am attaching one article. BTW, I am in the military and it affected me too.
http://www.dasma.com/articles/feature/feature130.asp
Old 05-25-2006, 07:19 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Coincidence?

How strange! The same exact thing happened to me here in North Orange County starting about 3 weeks ago. When that happens with the garage controller itself, replacing the battery usually takes care of it. I didn't expect my TL's Homelink to have a degradation in signal.

Any ideas anyone? Maybe I should reset the Homelink and reprogram from scratch!?!?
Old 05-25-2006, 07:25 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmaikamon
Where are you located in conjunction to the nearest military base? This may be a longshot but there is an issue frequencies of garage door openers affecting military systems. Since the federal goverment controls them alot of the frequencies were changed/modified to prevent our doors from affecting them. You can Google it and read for yourself. I am attaching one article. BTW, I am in the military and it affected me too.
http://www.dasma.com/articles/feature/feature130.asp
I'm more than 20 miles from any bases and several miles and a small mountain away from the nearest airport, so I'm not suspecting interference. I live in a pretty rural area. Thanks for the interesting read, though.

I'm wondering if the Homelink module may have gone bad. For instance, I've been opening and closing my moonroof a lot lately and I'm wondering if I accidentally damaged the Homelink module housed in the same console as the moonroof switch.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:50 PM
Instructor

I'm more than 20 miles from any bases and several miles and a small mountain away from the nearest airport, so I'm not suspecting interference. I live in a pretty rural area. Thanks for the interesting read, though.

I'm wondering if the Homelink module may have gone bad. For instance, I've been opening and closing my moonroof a lot lately and I'm wondering if I accidentally damaged the Homelink module housed in the same console as the moonroof switch.

You're more than 20 miles from any bases, you think...lol.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:20 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Originally Posted by TerminaderTL
How strange! The same exact thing happened to me here in North Orange County starting about 3 weeks ago. When that happens with the garage controller itself, replacing the battery usually takes care of it. I didn't expect my TL's Homelink to have a degradation in signal.

Any ideas anyone? Maybe I should reset the Homelink and reprogram from scratch!?!?
I am experiencing the same thing starting about three weeks ago. Last time I checked there were no US military bases here in Vancouver BC !

I thought maybe the Homelink had it's own battery but it is connected to the map light circuit.