Hiding a power source for dashcam

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 03:31 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiding a power source for dashcam

Howdy. I've been thinking about tapping into the power of the dome line console to get some USB power; that would make a nice short run to my dashcam, which is mounted right behind the rear view mirror. I pulled the dome light assembly out, and it looks pretty tight in there... has anyone rigged something like this up? Help a newbie out

2007 TL Type-S 6spd manual
Old 05-24-2015, 04:35 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
I was able to do that with a hardwire kit for my radar, but when I tried to add in the dashcam, the wiring prongs just couldn't get power. I ended up hardwiring through the headliner and down the A-Pillar, which is actually REALLY easy.

You can find the A-Pillar removal and general hardwiring guide here: https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...nstall-552627/

As for running the wire through the headliner, it's pretty easy. You literally just tuck it into the headliner and voila. I also tried to use an Add-A-Fuse circuit, and instead just ditched that and wrapped the metal part of the wire to the fuse itself.
The following users liked this post:
bentleymrk (05-24-2015)
Old 05-24-2015, 06:21 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyfu

As for running the wire through the headliner, it's pretty easy. You literally just tuck it into the headliner and voila. I also tried to use an Add-A-Fuse circuit, and instead just ditched that and wrapped the metal part of the wire to the fuse itself.
Wow, that's a great idea! I didn't want to run a wire down the A-pillar as I thought it would be ugly. Had no idea the covers were that easy to pop off. Your solution is especially good for me since I need to convert 12v to 5.5v for the USB -- I can't just hardwire the dashcam in to a handy circuit (like the homelink, which I don't use). There is a ton of room under the dash for such a converter.

Thanks so much! I'll try this and take photos, if successful, I'll post.

This site is handy!
Old 05-24-2015, 08:22 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
I have mine wired through the headliner (just tuck it in as mentioned) and down the A pillar.

Then I used an add-a-fuse and placed it in a constant on fuse so that I can run the dash cam 24/7 even when the car is off. This is wired to the positive lead of the car charger they provide you. I put a switch in between so I can turn off the dash cam when I'm at home. Then for ground I put it to the steering column bolt which goes to the negative on the car charger they give you.

No need to buy a 12V to 5.5V when the car charger they give you with the dash cam is already one...
Old 05-24-2015, 11:11 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Just curious OP, what dashcam did you end up buying? I myself am using a Mobius dashcam, and instead of using the regular usb charger with car port adapter, I also ordered a "hardwire kit" which comes with a converter built in and bare wire at the end. I guess I could have used guitarplayer's method, but I never knew how those big round things were wired (or cared to research I guess)
Old 05-27-2015, 10:56 PM
Needs a 930

Received 759 Likes on 547 Posts
I ran mine down the B pillar, under the passenger seat, and into my center console.

I have the blackvue dr500gw and would recommend it.