HFL Inoperable (Help)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 07:55 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HFL Inoperable (Help)

I have an '05 TL and until yesterday, never tried to use the Hands Free Link. Bought a new phone with Bluetooth capability and tried to pair it with the vehicle system. (Yes, the phone is compatable.) First of all, when I press and release the "talk" button on the steering wheel there is no response, no beep, nada, nothing. Every instruction says to press this first. I tried saying "pair" and the phone obediently searches but finds nothing. On the small info screen under near the odometer there is a Hands Free Link selection and when selected a "Booting Up" message appears and it will stay like that indefinitely. Before I call my service rep for advice perhaps someone can advise me of something I have not yet tried. Otherwise, love the car as always.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Sounds like you BT system needs to be replaced. That is not normal. I see a dealer visit in your future.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:36 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
When you press the talk button, the command isn't "pair". You press the button and say, "phone setup". It will then tell you that the phone setup options are "status, pair, edit, or delete." You then say, "pair". It will talk some more and then ask you to say a 4 digit code. Say whatever code you want. For example, "1234". You then turn the search funtion on your phone to search for devices. When it is found, your phone will ask you to input your code. The car will then say "a new phone has been found. What would you like to name this phone?" You press the talk button again and say whatever you want to name it. (Bob's phone for example)

While it is possible that the system is bad, I've never seen one firsthand that was. Everytime there seems to be a problem with the HFL it's either been the person not knowing what to say or it's a Verizon phone.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:54 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Randbosacura
First of all, when I press and release the "talk" button on the steering wheel there is no response, no beep, nada, nothing. Every instruction says to press this first... On the small info screen under near the odometer there is a Hands Free Link selection and when selected a "Booting Up" message appears and it will stay like that indefinitely.
HiTech is right- your HFL is locked up in "boot" mode and not starting up for some reason.
First, try the HFL again after the car has been turned off for a few hours. My '05 locked up like this once for a few hours and hasn't recurred since.
If the HFL beeps, etc., follow the manual on pairing your phone.
If the HFL remains unresponsive and the MID displays "Booting up," you will need to see the dealer (HFL replacement is then likely).
G/L!
Old 05-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Randbosacura
First of all, when I press and release the "talk" button on the steering wheel there is no response, no beep, nada, nothing. Every instruction says to press this first... On the small info screen under near the odometer there is a Hands Free Link selection and when selected a "Booting Up" message appears and it will stay like that indefinitely.
HiTech is right- your BT is not acting normally. Your HFL is locked up in "boot" mode and not starting up for some reason.
First, try the HFL again after the car has been turned off for a few hours. My '05's HFL locked up like this once for a few hours, but hasn't recurred since.
If the HFL beeps, etc., follow the manual on pairing your phone.
If the HFL remains unresponsive and the MID displays "Booting up," you will need to see the dealer (HFL replacement is then likely).
G/L!
Old 05-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Intermediate

Mine was doing the same thing - I just had it in to get it replaced & it works perfectly. If you're under warranty, just take it in.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HFL Test

Press and hold the HFL Back button on the steering wheel for about 10 seconds. This will put the HFL system into a diagnostic mode. It will say either "The HFL system is OK" or that is has an error.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:27 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by senewman1
Press and hold the HFL Back button on the steering wheel for about 10 seconds. This will put the HFL system into a diagnostic mode. It will say either "The HFL system is OK" or that is has an error.
good to know.