HF dilemma... ideas or thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 08:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HF dilemma... ideas or thoughts?

Here is the deal... this happens to me on a regular basis.

I'll be driving home from work (my 1 hour drive), and I'll be on the HF on a conference call. I will have the system muted (by speaking the MUTE command). So I'm driving along on my call with the system muted, and another call will come in on the call-waiting. The problem is, I have no way to un-mute the system, because as soon as a press the HF button on the steering wheel it will jump to my other call (muted still), and if I press the button again (to try to unmute) it will just switch back to my original conf call, and drop the second call that came in.

Ideas?

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2006, 09:12 AM
Look Mean, Play Nice

This may be cheating but ... could you just use the mute button/unmute button on your actual phone when you are switching calls? I realize this reduces the Hands Free Link utility of it, but at least you wouldn't hang up on your conference call.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Yea, I thought about that, but my phone is generally in my bag in the back seat. I may just have to deal with it, and not even answer the second call as it comes in (it's generally my wife calling).
Old 05-23-2006, 11:57 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Have you tried un-muting before switching? I wonder if would still drop a call.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by datmrman
Have you tried un-muting before switching? I wonder if would still drop a call.
That's the problem, it's too late by the time he hears the second call coming in. As soon as that second call starts to beep in on his phone, he has no way to un-mute the first call because the phone button then will only toggle between the two calls.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by levon1830
That's the problem, it's too late by the time he hears the second call coming in. As soon as that second call starts to beep in on his phone, he has no way to un-mute the first call because the phone button then will only toggle between the two calls.
Exactly.

I guess the way I'll have to deal with it, is to ignore the second incoming call on call-waiting and let them talk to my voicemail.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
I see said the blind man. I should have thought of that... sorry.

Hmm.. Is there a voice commannd to unmute? Now I wonder if you can combine commands with HFL like the voice command for the headunit. I know "DIAL 123456789" works.. but what about "SWITCH UNMUTE."
Old 05-24-2006, 12:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by datmrman
I see said the blind man. I should have thought of that... sorry.

Hmm.. Is there a voice commannd to unmute? Now I wonder if you can combine commands with HFL like the voice command for the headunit. I know "DIAL 123456789" works.. but what about "SWITCH UNMUTE."
I guess you don't see what I'm saying. Yes there is a voice command to do mute, and unmute. The voice command is "mute" for both. The problem is, you need to start each voice command with the press of the HF button on the steering wheel. When a call is coming on call-waiting you change the the other call by just pressing the button. She when I'm muted and anothor call comes in, and you want to unmute you can't because as soon as you press the steering wheel button it changes you to the next incoming call (you can't issue a voice command). You press the button again in an attempt to issue the command to un-mute, and it switches you back to the original call. So what I'm saying is when you have a call coming in on call-waiting you can issue NO voice commands.

Does that make sense?
Old 05-24-2006, 01:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HiTEC
I guess you don't see what I'm saying. Yes there is a voice command to do mute, and unmute. The voice command is "mute" for both. The problem is, you need to start each voice command with the press of the HF button on the steering wheel. When a call is coming on call-waiting you change the the other call by just pressing the button. She when I'm muted and anothor call comes in, and you want to unmute you can't because as soon as you press the steering wheel button it changes you to the next incoming call (you can't issue a voice command). You press the button again in an attempt to issue the command to un-mute, and it switches you back to the original call. So what I'm saying is when you have a call coming in on call-waiting you can issue NO voice commands.

Does that make sense?
I read datmrman's post again, and I wonder if he was saying to use the talk button for the navi when trying to unmute the system, not the one for HFL. Is that what you were talking about, datmrman?

And if that's the case, I had no idea you could use the navi talk button to carry common HFL commands. datmrman, can you please clarify?