HELP! USA Spec HON2Y Cable Length Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 08:45 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! USA Spec HON2Y Cable Length Question

Just purchased the HON2Y and received it in the mail today. I want an install that has the white interface box in the lower armrest and the iPod in the upper armrest.

I did not buy any extra cables, and a professional install shop is going to do the install for me tomorrow; I need a quick answer because I may have to cancel my appointment if I don't have enough length in either of the cables.

Question: Without the extra cables, just the standard cables that come with the unit, will there be enough wire to either:

1. Install the interface under the drivers seat and run the docking cable to the armrest?

-or-

2. Install the interface in the lower armrest and run the docking cable to the upper armrest?

I don't want to run this in 'direct' mode. Just 'playlist' mode with the HONDA1 naming conventions, but I want the iPod easily accessible in the armrest.

Did I make a mistake in not getting the longer cable? Are these two options not options for me anymore?

TIA

BJ
Old 05-01-2007, 09:40 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"In DIRECT MODE users can Track up/down, Fast Forward/Rewind from the radio buttons or steering wheel controls (if so equipped), and hardcore iPod aficionados will be happy to find that the clickwheel operation on the iPod is retained allowing you to browse and Navigate your iPod just as you would in portable use. When set to PLAYLIST MODE: The iPod screen and clickwheel are disabled and because of that controlling the iPod is possible using the radio and/or steering wheel control buttons -- just like the Honda Music Link Kit."

I don't know why anyone would set it in Playlist mode. You can do everything in Direct mode that you can in Playlist mode, plus you still have control on the ipods controls. Have them install it under the navi/radio screen, and run it out the top compartment under the navi/radio screen. They'll need to drill a hole in the upper corner of that compartment to run the cable. But you'll never see this hole and since its at the top, nothing will ever fall out. This is what I did so I could just put the ipod in there and close the door so you can't see anything. I can still control the ipod through the steering wheel/radio controls. Don't worry about it soo much. I think its kinda akward coming out of the center armrest.......don't know about you but when I rest my arm, my hand is on the shift knob (AT) so its really convient to just reach 3 inches to change the song.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:44 AM
Registered P.I.M.P

I didn't think we had a cable length option.

I have it installed in the lower armrest and run up to the upper. The cable "Just" reaches to the armrest. I ended up cutting a little hole in the panel at the bottom to run the cable through. Wasn't very difficult at all.

I think you should be fine. The cable I have is about 4 ft long I think.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:51 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by lembowski

I don't know why anyone would set it in Playlist mode. You can do everything in Direct mode that you can in Playlist mode, plus you still have control on the ipods controls. Have them install it under the navi/radio screen, and run it out the top compartment under the navi/radio screen. They'll need to drill a hole in the upper corner of that compartment to run the cable. But you'll never see this hole and since its at the top, nothing will ever fall out. This is what I did so I could just put the ipod in there and close the door so you can't see anything. I can still control the ipod through the steering wheel/radio controls. Don't worry about it soo much. I think its kinda akward coming out of the center armrest.......don't know about you but when I rest my arm, my hand is on the shift knob (AT) so its really convient to just reach 3 inches to change the song.
[EDIT]: Are you saying that the white box with the toggle controls fits in the lower door of the console and then the iPod fits in the upper door area? I need access to the switches on the side of the white box and I need access to the iPod while I drive for Podcasts (read below)

I'm a neat freak and I listen exclusively to Playlists in 'shuffle' mode.

So, for me, I don't need immediate access to specific songs. I just put on one of my 200+ playlists and every song is one of my specific favorites.

The reason I went with the USA Spec version was that, on occassion, I like to listen to Podcasts, and for that the direct mode is a must-have.

So, I don't want the iPod on display near my dash, want it hidden in the armrest so I don't have to worry about theft and it's close enough that I can open the lower armrest, throw the switches over to direct mode, pick up the iPod in the upper armrest, and navigate to a Podcast on occassion.

BJ
Old 05-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by Knockz
I didn't think we had a cable length option.

I have it installed in the lower armrest and run up to the upper. The cable "Just" reaches to the armrest. I ended up cutting a little hole in the panel at the bottom to run the cable through. Wasn't very difficult at all.

I think you should be fine. The cable I have is about 4 ft long I think.
So this is good news. Let me confirm:

You have the standard kit with the standard wires and you are able to have the white box in the lower armrest and then have the iPod cable run to the upper armrest.

If that's true I'm in good shape

Please confirm.

BJ
Old 05-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Trucki!!

Keep it in direct mode all the time, and put the ipod on shuffle..........same thing less hassle. You do not need to have access to the switches. If your a neat freak it will bother you having cables ran in the center console and that ugly box sitting in the way of anything that you might have put in their before
Old 05-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Keep it in direct mode all the time, and put the ipod on shuffle..........same thing less hassle. You do not need to have access to the switches. If your a neat freak it will bother you having cables ran in the center console and that ugly box sitting in the way of anything that you might have put in their before
Thanks again for the info.

Tell me, if I am in 'direct' mode all the time, what do I lose?

I bought this particular kit because of the following features:

1. Flip back/forth between direct and playlist mode.

2. Use steering wheel controls to jump from playlist to playlist.

3. Use steering wheel controls to jump from song to song.

4. Turn off engine, restart engine, it remembers your last song position.

5. Turn on engine, charges iPod. Continues charging till 1 hour after engine off.

6. No impact to XM Radio or Nav functionality.

Do I lose any of these features if I do as you say, bury the white box, and leave the switches on 'direct' all the time? Do I lose the ability to keep the iPod hidden and use the steering wheel/radio controls to jump from playlist to playlist? Do I have to pick up the iPod to do that? Do I have to pick up the iPod to power it on each time?

My goal is to never touch the iPod except when I want to listen to a Podcast now and then. I'd like to go 6 months without touching the iPod. Just turn on the ignition, hit button 5, go to Playlist 5, and let it shuffle itself to death.

Let me know.

TIA

BJ
Old 05-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by boltjames
Thanks again for the info.

Tell me, if I am in 'direct' mode all the time, what do I lose?

I bought this particular kit because of the following features:

1. Flip back/forth between direct and playlist mode.

2. Use steering wheel controls to jump from playlist to playlist.

3. Use steering wheel controls to jump from song to song.

4. Turn off engine, restart engine, it remembers your last song position.

5. Turn on engine, charges iPod. Continues charging till 1 hour after engine off.

6. No impact to XM Radio or Nav functionality.

Do I lose any of these features if I do as you say, bury the white box, and leave the switches on 'direct' all the time? Do I lose the ability to keep the iPod hidden and use the steering wheel/radio controls to jump from playlist to playlist? Do I have to pick up the iPod to do that? Do I have to pick up the iPod to power it on each time?

My goal is to never touch the iPod except when I want to listen to a Podcast now and then. I'd like to go 6 months without touching the iPod. Just turn on the ignition, hit button 5, go to Playlist 5, and let it shuffle itself to death.

BJ

Never done anything with playlists as you say, so I'm not sure. I don't even have a playlist on my ipod to even test it. You will keep everything above, but if someone can comment on the playlist thing.........I can't for sure. Hell i have 50 different folders, how do you keep track of what songs are on what playlist? Keep a notecard in your car?
Old 05-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Never done anything with playlists as you say, so I'm not sure. I don't even have a playlist on my ipod to even test it. You will keep everything above, but if someone can comment on the playlist thing.........I can't for sure. Hell i have 50 different folders, how do you keep track of what songs are on what playlist? Keep a notecard in your car?

LOL. First off, thanks again for the help.

I've got 12,000 songs in iTunes and its changed the way I listen to music. Instead of fixating on one song, I fixate on a type of music. That's where Playlists come in. It's like a mixed cassette tape of your favorite songs. You can drag/drop any song into a playlist and navigate to it directly. So instead of using the scroll wheel to go to Music > Artist > Springsteen > The River > Cadillac Ranch, you just go to Playlist > Best of Springsteen and hear your Top 30 Bruce songs.

The way I use it is like this: If I'm into the new Maroon 5 track, it means I'm also into their old stuff, some John Mayer, some Cake, and maybe some Black Eyed Peas. So I'll drag/drop these artists albums into a 50 song Playlist called "Funky Tunes", hit 'shuffle', and enjoy a few days worth of songs that all remind me of that one Maroon 5 track I really liked. I'll put that one track as "song one" on that playlist, so it's always right there where I can find it if I want it, but then I've got 49 other complimentary songs that fit my mood for that week.

I then have a bunch of 'standard' playlists. Like "Best of Coldplay" or "Psychadelic Beatles Mix" which I'll listen to when the moment strikes. "High School Tracks" has about 300 of only my very favorite songs from back then. Hit shuffle, and every song is a fresh listen of a song that's guaranteed to be one of my favorites. Playlists stay there in iTunes when you don't need them, and then transfer onto your iPod when you do.

Give a Playlist a try. Launch iTunes. Hit that "+" button on the lower left of the window. It will create a new Playlist folder in the left panel. Now drag your Top 50 favorite songs of all time in there from your entire music collection. Name that folder "My Faves". Then hit "shuffle" and "crossfade" and you'll see what I mean.

The perfect application for a playlist is in your car. Why fumble through all 12 U2 CD's hunting and pecking for the songs you really like while you're in the car when you can just navigate to the "Best of U2" playlist, hit shuffle, sit back, and let the iPod do the work?

BJ
Old 05-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Trucki!!

Ok, sounds good. But they way I listen is if I want to hear a specific song I want to hear it then. I hope you find the solution to your problem.

Maybe you can have the installer make a "false floor" in your center compartment so you won't have the clutter problem in your console. Just an idea
Old 05-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Ok, sounds good. But they way I listen is if I want to hear a specific song I want to hear it then. I hope you find the solution to your problem.

Maybe you can have the installer make a "false floor" in your center compartment so you won't have the clutter problem in your console. Just an idea
Here's the thing- Playlists are just another option for you to listen to your music. It doesn't eat up hard drive space or add more folders.

You still can do what you do right now which is navigate through artists to albums to songs and click on what you want to hear right now. That doesn't change.

Playlists are just another option. Another way to listen.

BJ
Old 05-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Hey.....an update.

Got it installed and everything's perfect. Took the advice and put the white interface in the upper console door and the iPod docking cable/iPod in the lower door. The installer had to cut out a good portion of the back wall of the lower door to allow all that cable and the iPod to fit in there, but it's a really good solution as opposed to the armrest.

Thanks again for all your help.

Now if someone could just point me to a quick how-to guide on making the "OK" button press unnessessary

BJ