Help with NAV POI's

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 09:29 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help with NAV POI's

Is it me or is it screwy how we find POI's in our TL's nav systems.
In my garmin, if I want to find the closest staples or AAA, I just type the name, and the GPS lists the closest ones.

With the TL (And my odyssey) I hit POI, spell name and spell the name of whatever (staples, mcdonalds etc) and I get a list that has Staples at the top. I hit that button and I get listings for staples in California! I am in Mass, so I cant figure out why the system constantly gives me addresses 2000 miles away.

Can anyone help?
Old 06-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 519 Likes on 295 Posts
Same here it really annoys me as well. I always have to do a vicinity search by categories.
I remember a thread similar to this one ... Anyways personally I just look stuff like
that on my iPhone and plot it I'm the navi. Unless like you say you feel like driving accross the country for a home depot.

I have to say though before the TL-S I had an Acura CL-S with an aftermarket navi Pioneer AVIC-D2 and using that search was rarely usefull
as well. I would get addresses for home depot corporate or other stupidities but again if I went through the categories search I could find what i needed.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:10 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by robstercraw
Can anyone help?
1) Set your Navi default location to your home state-- maybe that will help.
2) Otherwise, choose find by "Place" and "Category" [like "shopping"; "office supply"] then type in the place name [but Starbucks, McDonald's, etc. are entered on the database in different ways-YMMV] or choose "Sort by Distance."

The Navi manual is linked to the owner's manuals (Acuras and Hondas) through here: https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...01_OMANUAL.asp

Welcome to AZ.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:11 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure that my home state is set. When I go to enter addresses, it defaults to Massachusetts. Is there somewhere else to set this?

Just fir kicks I hit places...category..shopping..office supplies..place name..spell staples..list...select 1 (staples). The first entry is 1419mi away in Canada.
This can't be that the poi db is so bad. This must be a major flaw in the interface.
I don't understand why auto makers don't license the tech from farming,tomtom or Magellan. I'd pay a premium to get the ability to change the software to garmin.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:27 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by robstercraw
Just fir kicks I hit places...category..shopping..office supplies..place name..spell staples..list...select 1 (staples). The first entry is 1419mi away in Canada.
This can't be that the poi db is so bad. This must be a major flaw in the interface.
The problem is in the data entry -- some entries will say "Staples," others will be under "Staples Office Supplies," "Staples, Inc.," etc. Some places are misspelled, too!

That's why it's often better to use "Sort by Distance" to find large chain store locations like Starbucks, McDonald's, Home Depot, Staples, etc.-- you will get a bunch of other stores in the category, but they will be listed in order of distance, while selecting the wrong name will send you on a 1000+ mile drive.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
The problem is in the data entry -- some entries will say "Staples," others will be under "Staples Office Supplies," "Staples, Inc.," etc. Some places are misspelled, too!

That's why it's often better to use "Sort by Distance" to find large chain store locations like Starbucks, McDonald's, Home Depot, Staples, etc.-- you will get a bunch of other stores in the category, but they will be listed in order of distance, while selecting the wrong name will send you on a 1000+ mile drive.

That is true...good thing to know about the "Sort by Distance".
Old 06-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
Having the Garmin based Kenwood systems in my previous cars has spoiled me. I won't even use the nav in this car to find a poi. It is the most worthless poi search I have ever seen. I'll look it it up on google on my phone and just plug in the address.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:10 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i thought i was going crazy, but it looks like the navi really does suck as much as i thought...