Help! High Voltage and complete power loss

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 02:00 PM
2004 Acura TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help! High Voltage and complete power loss

Hello All -

First my car: 2004 Acura TL Base 5AT

I have a strange issue going on right now. I've started to notice what seem to be voltage spikes why driving. Also, after shutting off the car there will be a period of time where I have absolutely no power to the vehicle (almost like the battery is being disconnected when shutting the car off). This will resolve itself in less than 1/2 a minute and power will be restored. I can only assume that some type of short is happening? The problems are sporadic, some days the car runs without incident while others it happens all day long.
NOTE: With the car shut off scenario, all power is lost to the point where I even have to re-enter my radio code. The trip computer is reset, dash clock has wrong time etc. Key turn does NOTHING at that point. Of course I checked the battery connections etc. they look fine. 20-30 seconds later and all is back to normal. It almost seems like there is a high voltage spike at shutoff that shorts out everything....

The above explains the scenario when shutting the car off. I also noticed the following while driving.
1. My radar detector constantly beeping with "High Voltage" warnings
2. Radio cutting in and out (like its losing power and being restored)
3. Dash lighting up like a Christmas tree, radio cut off, radar detector cut off etc. This has happened least often, maybe just a handful of times. Items #1 and #2 happen a lot.
Shutting the car off, waiting a few seconds and starting back up and all seems normal again.

Any ideas what to start looking at here?
Old 05-03-2017, 02:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Get a new alternator
Old 05-04-2017, 09:50 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Either alternator is shot or there is a bad connection from the battery. Either can cause the issues you describe.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:59 PM
2004 Acura TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks...