HELP determine the system in my TL

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012 | 01:14 PM
2nd Gear

HELP determine the system in my TL

Hey everyone, Im a noobie to posting to these forums, but have been following multiple posts on here for the past couple of months.

I purchased my 04 TL earlier this summer and ever since ive had it noticed the the passenger side door speaker crackling. I know all you veteran posters on this site are saying to yourselves go through and review other posts like this, and i have. Want to upgrade everything minus the head unit, subwoofer in back sounds like sh*t bottoming out all the time, door speakers need to be run by an amp.

Came to the conclusion that ive got roughly $1000 to spend on everything. Ill have a friend of mine hook it all up at no charge.

Only heard good things about POLK audio. Was debating on the difference btwn the polk MM6501 & polk MM6501UM. One clearly has a bigger magnet compared to the other, while the one with the smaller has 30+ more reviews via SonicElectronix.com

As far as Subwoofer goes, im completely stumped on how i want to go about doing this. Im diggin the looks of the side mounted subwoofer in the trunk but it is pricey via my budget. I need to have space in my trunk bc i will be traveling quite a bit. Should i do a 10'' or 12''? Convince me

Will take all info into concideration

thanks fellas
Old 10-31-2012 | 04:15 PM
Instructor

I have about $1400 invested in my system. I did most of it myself and that will save you money to do everything or most of it yourself.

I bought all my wireing, cables and hardware from www.KnuKonceptz.com

All my interior speakers and amps are all Memphis M-Class

6.5 Comps up front ( Cost $269.00 )
6.5 coaxial ( 2 way speakers ) in the rear for fill ( already had these )
500.1 mono amp ( $439.00 )
100.2 2 channel amp ( $329.00 )
sub and box are from JL Audio , model # HO110RG-W3v3 ( $385.0)
all my wires, cables and hardware was around $150

Things add up quick ! Best thing to do , is just order what you can, piece it out and then install everything when your ready. Dont rush and make stupid decisions based on budget , buy as money permits. Thats what I did and was able to get some good deals as I went along.

Check out my system install and you can see all my equipment.

I ran all my wires myself. Only thing I had a shop do was install my components and build a baffle for my amps to mount to.
The following users liked this post:
David Alexandru (10-31-2012)
Old 10-31-2012 | 06:33 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by BlitzBlackGSXR
I have about $1400 invested in my system. I did most of it myself and that will save you money to do everything or most of it yourself.

I bought all my wireing, cables and hardware from www.KnuKonceptz.com

All my interior speakers and amps are all Memphis M-Class

6.5 Comps up front ( Cost $269.00 )
6.5 coaxial ( 2 way speakers ) in the rear for fill ( already had these )
500.1 mono amp ( $439.00 )
100.2 2 channel amp ( $329.00 )
sub and box are from JL Audio , model # HO110RG-W3v3 ( $385.0)
all my wires, cables and hardware was around $150

Things add up quick ! Best thing to do , is just order what you can, piece it out and then install everything when your ready. Dont rush and make stupid decisions based on budget , buy as money permits. Thats what I did and was able to get some good deals as I went along.

Check out my system install and you can see all my equipment.

I ran all my wires myself. Only thing I had a shop do was install my components and build a baffle for my amps to mount to.
thanks for the info: id like to hear some more input on some 6.5 speakers for the doors. i plan on running a 4 channel amp to power the speakers. along with a seperate one for the sub i will be purchasing. ^^how do your door speakers sound as far as quality?^^ i would like to hear from a number of users as far as setups go so i can narrow everything down
Old 10-31-2012 | 07:49 PM
Instructor

Or you could just buy a 5 channel and bridge the 4 channels down to 2 .

I love how my front stage sounds . I have 100 watts going to each side up front and sounds great ! The comps i have are one of their top of the line models . Good mid bass and clear highs. My rear speakers are driven by the factory amp and are purely for real fill .

Some others you may want to look into are the Image Dynamics components . Ive heard some good things about them and for the price they are damn good . I bought everything locally so Image Dynamics wasnt available to me .
The following users liked this post:
David Alexandru (10-31-2012)
Old 10-31-2012 | 08:11 PM
Cruisin'

I totally agree with you!
Old 10-31-2012 | 08:12 PM
Cruisin'

Blitz*^
Old 10-31-2012 | 11:16 PM
Instructor

I'm going with jl mids & highs, mainly cuz I got a good deal on the mids & highs & like how they sounded. I was going with jl subs anyway but that's just personal preference. Im still piecing it together so none of its installed yet. My set up should be around $800-$1000 when I'm done depending which amp I decide to go with.

But like blitz was saying, listen to some different options & see what you find & like that's in the price range you want to stay in. Also if space is a concern I'd go with a 5 channel amp as was said & look into IB set up for you sub(s). Otherwise a box would be what takes up most of your trunk space obviously.