Help! Dealer messed up XM radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 07:35 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Dealer messed up XM radio

Hey guys, I need help troubleshooting an issue with my XM that I believe the dealership caused and will not own up to.

I have an 05 Acura TL with nav. Nav was modded to accept video input years ago. All nav/audio worked fine for years. Today I took the car to the dealership to have both front window regulators replaced under warranty(I have exteneded warranty). When I got the car back the XM was not working anymore. Nav/CD/AM-FM all work fine, it's only XM that's messed up. I thought the radio wasn't picking up an XM signal but I realized all the channel names and songs were still showing up. I cranked the volume up on XM, and I can faintly hear the XM coming through.

What could they have possibly done that caused only the XM portion of my radio to lose most of it's volume?

Are there XM antenna wires or something else in the doors that were somehow damanged when they took my door panels off? Is the faint XM volume indicating poor reception or bad radio amp?

I've already tried disconnecting the battery and resetting the radio. After I punch in the radio codes, the problem persists. Nav/CD/AM-FM work with full volume. XM can be faintly heard if radio volume maxed out.

Now I immediately took the car back to the dealer when I noticed the problem. Then they gave me the typical spiel. "We didnt touch your radio or battery. Nothing in the door could have caused this. What aftermarket mods did you do to the radio? Maybe that's the issue. It's got to be an issue with the nav/radio and that is $2k to replace"

Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? My car still has a month left on the extended warranty and I want them to fix it. My worry is that they will use my video input mod as an excuse to decline fixing an issue pertaining to the nav/radio system.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I don't think it's anything in the doors either. Should be the only thing pertaining to the stereo in the doors are the speakers and they are working fine. Have you tried unplugging the video mod device? But I don't see how that would affect XM, but worth a check. Also, make sure your XM antenna is connected to the HU.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
I don't think it's anything in the doors either. Should be the only thing pertaining to the stereo in the doors are the speakers and they are working fine. Have you tried unplugging the video mod device? But I don't see how that would affect XM, but worth a check. Also, make sure your XM antenna is connected to the HU.
Thanks, I figured there was nothing in the doors, but I'm sure they bumped something when they were pulling stuff apart. Can't be such a coincidence that it stopped working after taking it to the dealer and them taking the doors off.

Help! Dealer messed up XM radio-0b4r6.jpg

Is the wire connector labeled C, the antenna you are referring to?

Also, is there a amplifier in the front passenger footwell? Is that something I should check?

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Warren803
Thanks, I figured there was nothing in the doors, but I'm sure they bumped something when they were pulling stuff apart. Can't be such a coincidence that it stopped working after taking it to the dealer and them taking the doors off.

Is the wire connector labeled C, the antenna you are referring to?

Also, is there a amplifier in the front passenger footwell? Is that something I should check?

Thanks.
Yes, "C" is the antenna. But while you're back there check all the connectors. Make sure they click in. The amp is located in the passenger foorwell, on the right side behind the plastic cover (right next to your right foot). I would think anything was touched there. Check the connects on the HU first.