Help with dead HFL

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 02:23 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with dead HFL

Howdy,

A while back my HFL decided to stop working properly, all my contacts were erased and I was no longer able to add new ones, but I could still receive calls and make calls (if I remembered the number I wanted to call). The Dealership wanted around $500 for parts and labour to fix it, so of course I told them no thank you.

Fast forward to yesterday.

I was trying to link my new iPhone with the HFL and everything was doing fine until after I entered the pin number on my phone. The HFL locked up and now I can't do anything. The car is stuck in phone mode (even though the phone is not linked), neither the HFL buttons or the Navi buttons work and of course the sound system is locked out so my auditory experience while driving consists of wind noise and me cursing.

Now, I considered taking the car in to get this fixed, but what I would like to try first is resetting the HFL to see if I can get audio and Navi working (I can live without the HFL at this point).

Thus my question is, what is the best way for me to reset the HFL? I was thinking of pulling the fuse but I don't know which one it is (and haven't found it on here). Alternatively if someone has another idea I would much appreciate it. Thank you!
Old 11-05-2008, 06:36 PM
10th Gear

No one?
Old 11-08-2008, 02:15 AM
Bella Nova

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
well I've had a small stint with our HFL acting up, it went into the "booting up" situation and we couldn't use our HFL for a day. Then all of the sudden next day it was up and running. Still don't know why and we wanted to take it in for warranty but they couldn't replicate the prob so they didn't do much of anything. I've seen that some people with similar problems with the HFL have gone so far as to unhooking the battery for a short time and that seemed to reset the system. Some have never seen the problem again others weren't so lucky.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Intermediate

i have the same problem, it doesnt link to my phone just gets stuck in "phone" mode. disconect the batter for a min then reconnect it. it should be fine.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:09 AM
Instructor

my hfl locked out to cant do nothing
Old 11-26-2008, 11:07 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Guys, look at this and try it. This was posted by Tech_rcd.

Re-set hands free link
I recently purchased a 2006 TL. When I tried to set up the hands free link it said it was locked and asked for the 4 digit code. Of course I did not have it. I was told that I would have to take it to the dealership to have it reset. I live a 100 miles from a dealer. I called the dealer where I had taken it in for the power steering recall. He told me a way to do it myself.
Disconect both battery cables and touch them to each other for 20 seconds. This resets everything. You will need your radio code to get the radio back working.
It worked just fine. Everything was exactly as he said it would be.
Just wanted to share that with everyone.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:41 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can anyone confirm that touching the two cables to each other works for a TL with Navigation?

Let me know

thanks!
Old 01-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
^ What are you trying to fix?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:48 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
being able to reset the HFL because it is currently locked and I don't know the 4 digit passcode. I took it to the dealership and they weren't able to fix it either.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Identical Problem as the OP

I first experienced intermittent linking with my old cell phone. It was a 3 yr old Motorola that had other problems as well so I suspected the phone.

Then..... I lost all my contacts. When I went through the menu and asked it to list my Phone book contacts, it said, "Phone Book is empty."

When I tried to add a contact, it said "Phone book is full."

But, like the OP, I could still send and receive calls if I knew the number.

I recently upgraded to an LG Dare. I then went to the System menu and told it to "Clear" all the memory. It confirmed that it did that.

I then attempted to pair my new phone. I entered my self-generated 4 digit code and put the phone in Discovery Mode. At that point, the HFL locked up while displaying "Phone" and my 4 digit code. It was frozen. Worse, it pre-empted the entire audio system. I could not use the radio, CD player, etc. The buttons for the phone on the steering wheel did nothing. And the Voice buttons for the Navi and other voice function would not work because the HFL was "on".

I turned the key off, but the MID continued to say "Phone" with the code. I even left it for an hour or so and the same thing when I came back.

So, I disconnected the negative battery terminal and let it sit for about ten minutes, cleaned the terminal and reconnected. If you do this, make sure you have both the code for the radio and code for the Navi as it will ask you for both when it reboots.

That cured the lock up situation. The Voice Command buttons were now working and the radio operated normally.

I went to the "Hands Free Link" section of the MID and it said "Booting Software" (or similar words). But, the phone buttons do nothing and the HFL is essentially non-functional.

I will check to see if there is a TSB on this as it seems to have happened to a lot of people. I don't use the HFL that oftern but it is nice to have.

I'm just happy I have the audio system back.

If anyone has had this problem and had it fixed, please tell us what you or the dealer did! I hope I don't have to spend hundreds on a new module.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:14 AM
Senior Moderator

There is a TSB 05-120 on bad HFL modules and their replacement.

I've talked to the dealer and they asked me to bring it in.

I am out of warranty time wise but still under in miles (15K). They said they would consider warrantying it if they could get Acura to go along..... that they would try.

They know my car, though, and how I meticulously maintain it. For example, I've already changed the tranny fluid twice in 15k miles.

BOTTOM LINE: THIS IS A FAIRLY COMMON PROBLEM WITH 2004s.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Update

Dealer/Acura will put a new HFL module in "since I have been such a first rate customer". :choke:

I handed them my 34 Maintenance Records that I printed from MyAcura.com but 95% of that was done by me in my garage at home.

Good records come in handy. The cost of this part is about $600.

I'm out of warranty time-wise.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:47 PM
1st Gear

HFL problem - Locked

The previous post mentioning to disconnect the battery and touch the two terminals together for 20 seconds does not reset locked HFL's. All it does is it resets the radio and you are prompted to enter the 'CODE' using the preset numbers. I heard elsewhere that touching the two terminals would clear the system fresh, but it did not do anything more than waste my time.

If your hands free is locked you may receive incoming calls but NOT make any outgoing, you can NOT transfer from PDA to car and vice versa or make any chages to the phonebook or menu options.

If anyone else has had success unlocking without the 4 digit code I would like to read about what you did. As for how it locked, I recall using the HFL to make an outgoing call, I dont think it herd me correctly (ambient noise, background noise, etc) and from the point on it was locked, almost like it magically picked out the word "lock" or something along those lines to lock the system, previous owner did not have a lock code because the HFL was not locked, and im way outta warranty with the dealers.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:17 AM
1st Gear

I also have a problem with my hands free system locked and it is asking for a 4 digit code which I don’t have or know, previous owner did not use “system” command to clear all of phonebook and pass codes. Have tried everything conceivable to unlock system to no avail! Now have an unusable system that I would really like to have available, does anyone know of a workable solution?