Help with changing out LED on radio buttons to AC buttons.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 06:34 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Help with changing out LED on radio buttons to AC buttons.

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone know a DIY to change out the leds in the middle console like the radio buttons to the AC buttons. Most of mines got burnt out so I was wondering what I would need to replace them. I tried contacting some members but only got infos like using PLCC-2 SMD and SMD resistors, so I was wondering if anyone know which resistors would I need to replace the stock ones. Any help would be nice thanks.

Yes I have tried searching but came up with only changing out T3 for the navi AC only, would the T3 be the same for non navi. I have an 05 Acura TL by the way.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:25 PM
HE>i

Received 253 Likes on 221 Posts
The easiest route is to get the bulbs from the dealership. Not sure if your looking to change the colors or what-not. They are like $2-3+ for the leds, but are a direct replacement.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 05_NBP_TL
The easiest route is to get the bulbs from the dealership. Not sure if your looking to change the colors or what-not. They are like $2-3+ for the leds, but are a direct replacement.
I wanted to change it out to blue LEDs but I was told that it would need to be replaced with SMD and soldering it. so this is why I want to ask what kind of resistors is needed to replace the old ones
Old 06-02-2015, 01:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by NC916
I wanted to change it out to blue LEDs but I was told that it would need to be replaced with SMD and soldering it. so this is why I want to ask what kind of resistors is needed to replace the old ones
Hey, I know this is from a few years back, but did you ever figure out which resistors you need for the PLCC-2 LEDs? I am also having difficulties finding a solution to this problem. I am looking to upgrade my radio with new LEDs and am trying to figure out which resistors are necessary for the conversion.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you are talking about the A/C buttons around the navigation screen they are super easy to replace (relatively speaking). They are all T3 bulbs and if you are converting them to LED you need to buy T3 Nanowedge LED Bulbs in the color you want (Since I have a type S I bought red to match the rest of the car). The bottom half where the CD player is they are installed on the circuit board and much harder to replace.

I bought a bag of Red T3 Nanowedge LEDS off of ebay and installed them easily. I will say that the bulbs are pole specific and have to be installed correctly so before you put the car back together plug back in the navi and make sure they are all illuminated.

Also if youre going through all that work you should go ahead and replace the shifter light too if you have an automatic like myself.

Two things I have noticed about doing the LED conversion is that the blue A/C button is harder to see and I would assume that a white light was behind it originally and now there is a red one. Second is that since I bought bright LEDs the top is much brighter than the bottom which does not bother me at all since it is just around the navi.

Hope this gives you a little guidance.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnargasim
If you are talking about the A/C buttons around the navigation screen they are super easy to replace (relatively speaking). They are all T3 bulbs and if you are converting them to LED you need to buy T3 Nanowedge LED Bulbs in the color you want (Since I have a type S I bought red to match the rest of the car). The bottom half where the CD player is they are installed on the circuit board and much harder to replace.

I bought a bag of Red T3 Nanowedge LEDS off of ebay and installed them easily. I will say that the bulbs are pole specific and have to be installed correctly so before you put the car back together plug back in the navi and make sure they are all illuminated.

Also if youre going through all that work you should go ahead and replace the shifter light too if you have an automatic like myself.

Two things I have noticed about doing the LED conversion is that the blue A/C button is harder to see and I would assume that a white light was behind it originally and now there is a red one. Second is that since I bought bright LEDs the top is much brighter than the bottom which does not bother me at all since it is just around the navi.

Hey thanks for the input, but I actually have already replaced all of the head unit bulbs with T3 neo wedge bulbs a while ago. And yes, it was definitely very easy lol. My inquiries were actually intended to be about the radio circuit board.

And just for some input, if you disassembe the head unit and look behind the "Auto" buttons, you will find a plastic piece between the button and the button cap that can be removed to remove the tint and nasty pigmentation that people many people have been talking about. I'm actually right in the process of trying to remove the button caps as we speak. If you're feeling ambitions, you should try it out! Maybe I'll have to post pictures later.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:41 AM
Tl fever...cureless!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gnargasim

I am about to Buy these Bulbs as Some of my bulbs are out on NAVI 07 TYPE S. Is it possible you can post a photo of your Navi and CD player light as you said top is much brighter then bottom . I just want to see if it will look out of balance and too bright and rest of the interior lights will feel dimmer. I am trying to stay as close to Stock as possible. you photo will help me to either get them or just buy Stock bulbs from Dealer. Appriciate it.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:14 PM
2005 TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Going to be ordering some as well to replace some of the burned out bulbs on my steering wheel and a/c controls on the sides of the navigation. Billu99tl did you get your bulbs from the dealership or online? How much did they cost a piece or for a set?