Hello....need some input on system

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:26 PM
TL owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello....need some input on system

Welcome...need some advice on set up
well let me say my name is Erick and ive been checking on this site up to 4 month prior to getting my TL a few days ago i got a 06 with 25k miles and its loaded.I like to use the "search" button but somethings ive tried gettin info on were not to clear and i didnt wanna bump old threads. Im an installer by trade and a business owner also(on line company). Most installers feel like they cant ask question because it makes them feel like they dont have the knowledge. I have been installing for 7 years and will finishing college in 2 years.

Now to the system i took my old system out of my old car which was doing the "big 3" large optima yellow top, pioneer premier deh-800prs, Focal polyglass components, a 300/4 jl and a 500/1 powering a 10w7 in a box i built 2.1@29hz. No rear fill, I ran my headunit in a/an active set up. i want to get the same level of quality out of my TL but have a few question. I will more then likely be selling my slash series amps and going with the digital series and give them a run since there smaller.

i just finished up working on my boys g35 sedan using a 3sixty.2 i have pics on diymobileaudio.com and i caught the signal before the factory bose, and cleaned up the signal from there since the factory bose didnt have a sub input i just had to sum all the input channels on the 3sixty to create the sub and center channel output.

I hear that on the TL's catching the low level before the amp is bad?"true"? Is there a sub input going to the Tl's factory amp? Are they any diagrams online, i havent been found any

I also researched the removal of the 2 mics in the headliner so that you dont get sub feedback are both needed or can one be left in?

Are all the outputs from the deck low level? I ask because on a few cars ive working on including audi and sabb they will amp only the rear speakers or if they do amp the front doors the dash speakers will be high level.

I ask these questions because honestly in my years installing ive worked on a ton of 2nd gen TL's but only 1,3rd gen TL and it was just a isimple ipod connection which was really easy.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:09 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Eiswritsat
well let me say my name is Erick and ive been checking on this site up to 4 month prior to getting my TL a few days ago i got a 06 with 25k miles and its loaded.I like to use the "search" button but somethings ive tried gettin info on were not to clear and i didnt wanna bump old threads. Im an installer by trade and a business owner also(on line company). Most installers feel like they cant ask question because it makes them feel like they dont have the knowledge. I have been installing for 7 years and will finishing college in 2 years.

Now to the system i took my old system out of my old car which was doing the "big 3" large optima yellow top, pioneer premier deh-800prs, Focal polyglass components, a 300/4 jl and a 500/1 powering a 10w7 in a box i built 2.1@29hz. No rear fill, I ran my headunit in a/an active set up. i want to get the same level of quality out of my TL but have a few question. I will more then likely be selling my slash series amps and going with the digital series and give them a run since there smaller.

i just finished up working on my boys g35 sedan using a 3sixty.2 i have pics on diymobileaudio.com and i caught the signal before the factory bose, and cleaned up the signal from there since the factory bose didnt have a sub input i just had to sum all the input channels on the 3sixty to create the sub and center channel output.

I hear that on the TL's catching the low level before the amp is bad?"true"? Is there a sub input going to the Tl's factory amp? Are they any diagrams online, i havent been found any

I also researched the removal of the 2 mics in the headliner so that you dont get sub feedback are both needed or can one be left in?

Are all the outputs from the deck low level? I ask because on a few cars ive working on including audi and sabb they will amp only the rear speakers or if they do amp the front doors the dash speakers will be high level.

I ask these questions because honestly in my years installing ive worked on a ton of 2nd gen TL's but only 1,3rd gen TL and it was just a isimple ipod connection which was really easy.
if you're so install savy...you should own an osciliscope and answer your own questions...so just swallow your pride and come clean that you're clueless...please..i'll be less of an ass...

now that i've gotten that out of the way..

to me...that would definitely be the best suggestion is to pull the signal prior to the stock amplifier...and yes there is a sub signal from the headunit to the amplifier...however i will warn you that it is not true non fader output ...it is a summed signal of rear channels...biggest clue that it will have a discrete sub signal is the fact of DVD Audio...multichannels need multi signals

mics are on certain models that have the Active Noise Cancelling system...if they're there...remove them...common sense...pressure is pressure from front to back...

Last edited by CSWBiggs; 07-21-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Eiswritsat

I do have a diagram of the low level signals coming from the headunit...

deck to amp is low level...

everything on this car is extraordinarily basic...

-Jason
Old 07-22-2009, 09:29 AM
TL owner

Originally Posted by CSWBiggs
if you're so install savy...you should own an osciliscope and answer your own questions...so just swallow your pride and come clean that you're clueless...please..i'll be less of an ass...
wow just because I don't a O-scope is that suppose to mean something? I've used them yes but do I personally own one no. I clearly said I have no problem asking questionS and that I'm not familiar with the 3rd gen tl. That doesn't mean I'm a clueless installer. Instead of bashing me just help me out. I didn't have to ask but I figured this was a cool forum with guys who would help without having to put someone else down to get a point across.....honestly there was nothing I said or asked to make you be come at me like that...it's whatever though
Old 07-22-2009, 09:36 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
lol... Meet Jason. Hes our forum jester.

If you're gonna comment on the negative things he said, it's only right to also comment on the advice he gave you.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:45 AM
TL owner

Your right he did give some good advice and I'd like to say thanks alot. I have no problem talking advise it just kinda threw me for a loop didn't expect to kinda get it like that but it's all good nothing personal, I assume. He does nice work from what I've seen and I'm most deft looking up to his 2 w6v2 bandpass build and even checked out the YouTube videos before joining the forum so it kinda took me back getting it from a guy that I think does nice work and car I kinda wanna use as motivation on my build.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Trew

If you're gonna comment on the negative things he said, it's only right to also comment on the advice he gave you.
I think he's trying to one up me on the bans. Not going to happen Jason lol.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Trew

Don't listen to Jason. He's been working on his audio system for almost a year and he still hasn't finished it. He gets easily distracted by table saws and stuff. lol jk
Old 07-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by King of Pain
Don't listen to Jason. He's been working on his audio system for almost a year and he still hasn't finished it. He gets easily distracted by table saws and stuff. lol jk
hahahaha...ass =)

feelin the love...when i get it done it'll be sooo worth it...it's not a matter of if....it's a matter of when...

lol...

eiswritsat...please don't get offended...i consider myself a sarcastic ass...but i'd be more than offer you any help that you require...

my guess is that you're a best buy installer?

and...please use grammer/spell checkers please!

I hate cars...

i'm gunnin for the banned title! so you better watch out fool!!!hahaha...Also what are you goin to be doing this weekend...we have a huge drift event this weekend at willowsprings....hehe...should be a good time..

-Jason
Old 07-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CSWBiggs
hahahaha...ass =)

feelin the love...when i get it done it'll be sooo worth it...it's not a matter of if....it's a matter of when...

lol...

eiswritsat...please don't get offended...i consider myself a sarcastic ass...but i'd be more than offer you any help that you require...

my guess is that you're a best buy installer?

and...please use grammer/spell checkers please!

I hate cars...

i'm gunnin for the banned title! so you better watch out fool!!!hahaha...Also what are you goin to be doing this weekend...we have a huge drift event this weekend at willowsprings....hehe...should be a good time..

-Jason
I would love to see one of those events, never been to one. Let me know if you need any help in the pits, it would be fun to help. I would have to ask the boss of course.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:12 AM
TL owner

Lol it's cool but no the closiest thing I got to best buy was working at Hi-Fi buys/tweeter before we closed down here in GA. Most of us guys scattered to small shops. We really don't have the big shops like Florida, Cali, or Texas.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Tapping after the factory amp is good if you want to retain the voice functionality of the navigation system and the Hands Free Link system. The signal does become slightly degraded, but using a 3.sixty.2 should fix that with some proper adjustments.

The mics are only on the TL-S models, both will need to be unplugged otherwise the sub will be making a constant thumping sound.

All the speakers in the TL are hooked up to the factory amplifier, including the center channel...

also CSW, didn't you get banned once before, I think I Hate Cars just made it even with his last one. If you want to get ahead, it can be arranged...
Old 07-23-2009, 02:06 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by csmeance
Tapping after the factory amp is good if you want to retain the voice functionality of the navigation system and the Hands Free Link system. The signal does become slightly degraded, but using a 3.sixty.2 should fix that with some proper adjustments.

The mics are only on the TL-S models, both will need to be unplugged otherwise the sub will be making a constant thumping sound.

All the speakers in the TL are hooked up to the factory amplifier, including the center channel...

also CSW, didn't you get banned once before, I think I Hate Cars just made it even with his last one. If you want to get ahead, it can be arranged...
CSMenace...

i still have full funtionality of the stock system...HFL still plays out of the front channels and Nav Voice still plays out of the center channel...which is still hooked up to the stock amp....

lol on the bans...

-Jason
Old 07-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by csmeance

I think he wants a year ban so he can really out do me.... Kidding.