Head unit output too low.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 05:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad05TL
Ihatecars has lots of issues.
nevertheless,
I bet my system sounds better than his with less than 1/2 as much speaker. That's what really pissed him off the most. He hates to be wrong and can't accept that he doesn't know everything and he bashes people as hard as he can In an effort to make himself appear correct.
And that's the difference in Steve and yourself. One is confused but possibly means well. You're just trolling.

You "bet" your system sounds better? I'll tell you what Chad, how about we both enter our cars in the next event and see which one scores higher.

Show me where I've been wrong. What I say stands.... The VC arrangement makes no difference in the way a sub sounds, only the power it sees. You changed huge variables, the box, the tuning, the number of subs, the power, and somehow you say it's the VC arrangement that made the difference in sound. One thing is for sure, you're not an electrical engineer as you claim. This is hilarious stuff from you: " I know a box can provide a tone but the kind of response I am getting is due to changing the load the amp see's, by reducing the impedance from 8 to 2 ohms. " Do YOU know what you mean by this? A box can provide a tone, really? Show me how changing the impedance can change the "response" (pretty vague Chad). I'll assume you mean FR.

For grins, what's your tuning frequency? What was the tuning frequency of the old box? How much power is the sub actually seeing?
Old 07-31-2012, 05:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by pohljm
The only issue is people posting false and completely erroneous information for others to potentially misunderstand and assume as correct. IHC has helped many people on a wide variety of issues many of which are complex. I dont think you should post accusations without any back up, especially that have no value to this thread. I looks like you may have issues as well.
No, the issue is IHC posting completely erroneous statements that he claims I made. The statements I HAVE made are correct. That is why I do not bother to argue with him. It is a complete waste of time.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:35 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by stevemk07
No, the issue is IHC posting completely erroneous statements that he claims I made. The statements I HAVE made are correct. That is why I do not bother to argue with him. It is a complete waste of time.
So Armor All makes the dash disappear giving better highs.

A patch of sound deadener on the door makes the tweeters clearer.

The stock system has time alignment.

Aftermarket speakers can't sound better than your stock ones.... I caught you in one lie, I'll requote it if you like.

Earlier you said you had a ported sub, now you have a sealed sub.

More power won't help SQ.... well at least until you tried it yourself, then it was a different story.

Let's not talk about all of the assumptions you made about my system because I run a lot of power and large speakers. Mine is a SQ system first and foremost. I can't count how many times you've stated that I'm into that annoying hear you around the block bass which is not the case. You haven't quite comprehended less excursion means less distiortion which is the primary purpose for large speakers.

I started years ago by asking questions, still asking questions and gaining experience along the way. You came on here a self proclaimed expert giving bad advice and false info.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:55 PM
Burning Brakes

More word stuffings.... close on some of them but context needs to be considered. About the Armour All... that was my IMPRESSION! My dash did not actually disappear. It looks much better now. Just give it up.

To add to my impression btw.... I believe that the moisture may have absorbed some of the sound from the tweeters and reflections from the windshield. Perhaps that was a good thing or a bad thing. As I said already most would find the difference negligible but to me it was worth mentioning. Physics is or was my strong suit before I became interested in public policy, government systems, and economics.

Last edited by stevemk07; 07-31-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
Steve! For a few weeks i thought you had seen the light! Good posts and no rediculous statements. But the last few days you are right back at it and in denial over things that you have said. Get back on the meds!
Old 07-31-2012, 06:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Steve! For a few weeks i thought you had seen the light! Good posts and no rediculous statements. But the last few days you are right back at it and in denial over things that you have said. Get back on the meds!
Nope, I never rescinded my previous assertions and still stand by them. No meds for me other than coffee and some advil before going to bed after a night of having fun.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:30 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
The only issue is people posting false and completely erroneous information for others to potentially misunderstand and assume as correct. IHC has helped many people on a wide variety of issues many of which are complex. I dont think you should post accusations without any back up, especially that have no value to this thread. I looks like you may have issues as well.
So why dont you and ihatecars "back up" all your comments?

You're the accuser. Innocent until proven guilty?

And try to do so without insulting people or labeling them.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Chad, I have chosen not to even post anything in your thread because of the ridiculous and incorrect comments that you made regarding your latest box change and rewiring of the sub. they are so obviously wrong at so many levels that I believe that everyone will comprehend that so there is no reason to try and correct it. What comments would you like back up on?
Old 07-31-2012, 06:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Thumbs down

Now I am the accuser huh... Arguing with you is just as pointless it seems.

You two bring to mind one of Murphy's Laws that I read a long time ago.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:01 PM
Suzuka Master

^ i believe Chad was backing you up and that myself and IHC are the "accusers" who need to back up our comments.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Oops, sorry Chad. I thought you were pohljim. *facepalm*
Old 07-31-2012, 09:10 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts
The following users liked this post:
pohljm (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 09:21 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
Yup. I never thought I would have an argument that changing the impedance of the sub would completely alter the frequency response but not the different enclosure it was put in at the same time.

I never thought I would have to argue that the TL does not have time alignment or that the factory speakers were not the best thing ever or that armor all is not an audio upgrade or that sticking a square of deadener without sealing the door makes that stock system into a world class competition stereo and most interestingly makes the tweeters clearer.

Stevie- I'm going to stick a piece of deadener on my tail light to make my right midbass cleaner.

Chad, what do you really do for a living? You don't think like an engineer, you don't reason like an engineer, the way you jump to baseless conclusions is the opposite of what an engineer would do. What is it that you really do? No need to lie about your occupation.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:34 PM
Team Owner

You throw (and this is no other word for it) shit out there. Just diarrhea of the mouth, crazy off the wall shit that is so wrong it should never have to be defended. You're supposed to be an EE yet you don't even attempt to use reason. You change a box and tuning frequency, double the power on half the subs and turn around and say it's the impedance that made it sound different? And worse I started off nice, explaining why it sounded different and you go off on another baseless rant.

So I ask again, what was the tuning frequency of the old box and what is the tuning frequency of the new box. This is the most basic info someone with a ported box should know. It completely determines the sub's response, moreso than the sub itself.

If I'm posting something that's an opinion I state it as an opinion and I state why I feel the way I do. You throw stuff out there as fact when it's so blatantly not.

You won't have an answer, we all know it. You're here to troll, nothing more.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:52 PM
Team Owner

Here you go chad, let me spoon feed you. Inductance, impedance, frequency response:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...quality-5.html

If you can comprehend that thread you will see why it's impossible for your claims to be true.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:59 PM
Suzuka Master

So damn true! That is exactly why i purposely did not even comment in his thread. And i am trying to maximize my post count so that took olympic like restraint!
Old 07-31-2012, 10:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Yup. I never thought I would have an argument that changing the impedance of the sub would completely alter the frequency response but not the different enclosure it was put in at the same time.

I never thought I would have to argue that the TL does not have time alignment or that the factory speakers were not the best thing ever or that armor all is not an audio upgrade or that sticking a square of deadener without sealing the door makes that stock system into a world class competition stereo and most interestingly makes the tweeters clearer.

Stevie- I'm going to stick a piece of deadener on my tail light to make my right midbass cleaner.

Chad, what do you really do for a living? You don't think like an engineer, you don't reason like an engineer, the way you jump to baseless conclusions is the opposite of what an engineer would do. What is it that you really do? No need to lie about your occupation.
Go ahead.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:20 PM
Team Owner

Go ahead.
Do you think a 1"x1" square on the grill would help with my subs?
Old 07-31-2012, 10:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Do you think a 1"x1" square on the grill would help with my subs?
Yes but probably not detectable to anyone.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
*** Who Really think a Judge at Car Audio Compition really knows what the Best Car Sounds Like ? Not in A Million Years - Most Have Some Dumb Ass Bose Outfit in The Media Room. I havent seen the best Car Win Yet at one of these Compititions.........
Take away the bogus score sheet. and Judge for True SQ.
BLIND FOLD THEM AND THE BEST CAR WINS EVERYTIME !!!
Old 08-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Drifting

Here you go chad, let me spoon feed you. Inductance, impedance, frequency response:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...quality-5.html

If you can comprehend that thread you will see why it's impossible for your claims to be true.

first off, you can kiss my ass.

secondly, I know parallel has less resistance. Less resistance creates more current and more inductance. And better speaker response and possibly changing the center frequency that it plays because if the inductance changing.. But I dont want to get all technical. I do that during the day

Last edited by Chad05TL; 08-01-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Drifting

I do believe IHC is trolling! haha
Old 08-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Team Owner

secondly, I know parallel has less resistance. Less resistance creates more current and more inductance. And better speaker response and possibly changing the center frequency that it plays because if the inductance changing.. But I dont want to get all technical. I do that during the day
No Chad, DO get technical. I would love to hear what you come up with. I'll try my best to keep up lol. I'll give you a clue where you're wrong. Inductance does not change when you change the impedance, there's a relationship between inductance and one other parameter that keeps everything a constant.

To prove you're wrong real quick *without getting all technical* lol is if what you just said was true and inductance was actually increasing, response *depending on the bandpass* would actually be worse and in no case would it be better.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by xxx_busa
*** Who Really think a Judge at Car Audio Compition really knows what the Best Car Sounds Like ? Not in A Million Years - Most Have Some Dumb Ass Bose Outfit in The Media Room. I havent seen the best Car Win Yet at one of these Compititions.........
Take away the bogus score sheet. and Judge for True SQ.
BLIND FOLD THEM AND THE BEST CAR WINS EVERYTIME !!!
Huh?
Old 08-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

A-zine audio section is DEAD lol
Old 08-02-2012, 01:09 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
A-zine audio section is DEAD lol
It really sucks in here now. It was fun at first but maybe its time to stop feeding the trolls. Its really bringing the place down with these two trolls. Just a month or so ago everything was good. I think two people are going on the ignore list. Maybe a mod will clean up the trash and the lies/bad information. We've had some great information exchanges lately but the same person ruins each thread.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Interesting take to say the most... I was hoping the same thing. I might say I have more claim to be here since I still have all ACURA parts in my ACURA TL vehicle. See all I was interested in was good information about how to upgrade my sound in a way which was cost effective. I am totally satisfied with my sound now so have posted my findings. I am sure there will be other TL owners who will appreciate the information, results and impressions of certain modifications in an exact order to determine their own priorities in terms of upgrading their sound. Myself, I do not spend much time at audio events so the information I am looking for is somewhat scarce around here.

I should add... My system sounds better than yours for 350 bucks on a ANOS old Hertz Hi Energy line sub, used Kenwood and Sony amps, and less than two sqft. of quality deadener. SORRY.

Enjoy your childhood. I hope your awakening is not too abrupt or unpleasant.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:00 AM
Drifting

Ihc, actually inductance is a result.of increased current. And we know the increase in current is a result of lower impedance. The fundamentals are there. That is the main thing. Your link just backs up everything I said, even though It's just another website that probably has some false statements in there somewhere. It's not like the bible or anything.

Btw, not sure if I'm reading you right or not but inductance is not the driving force. The driving forces are voltage, current and impedance from.the load. Power is also a factor but if you know the formula for power, then you would know I already said power when I said voltage and current. Basically "ohms law".

Last edited by Chad05TL; 08-02-2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:55 AM
Drifting

To build a good sounding system you don't need to consider inductance. If u want to design a speaker then learn about inductance. Otherwise just stick to the basics. Power and impedance/resistance. All I did was read JL's spec sheet to know the power range of the woofer. Changing the impedance by altering your wiring will effect power. I assume u know that. Too little resistance and you can over drive the woofer or even damage your amp because at some point it would look like a short circuit and it will spark and flow too much current if u tried to connect a.load that is under 1 ohm. It's somewhat relative to power also. But then again if you increase resistance too much by having too many elements in series, then it will underdrive the woofer. Again it is relative to power. I could wire everything in series and still sound good as long as I hit it with 2,000. See my point about being relative to power?

Speakers in parallel don't require as much power.

Ported boxes are also more efficient than sealed boxes because the allow the speaker to move more freely than a sealed box. Therefore you can use less power.

When the speaker vibrates it cause sound waves to hit your eardrum. A longer throw / excursion creates a longer sign wave. Any alternating signal that oscillates longer over a time interval, Like a second, creates lower frequencies.

So bottom line, you need more power or lower impedance to create that movement.

There are other factors like baffle area or the size of the speaker box, but all that can fluctuate and is forgiving to some degree. It's less critical than how you wire the speakers and how much power you use. Your infinite baffle is a perfect example. Your box is your trunk. That's quite larger than specs. But I don't think it hurts your sound in a car. Never really tried it. Sometimes lab/test work is required.

Last edited by Chad05TL; 08-02-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Huh?
Ihc, actually inductance is a result.of increased current. And we know the increase in current is a result of lower impedance. The fundamentals are there. That is the main thing. Your link just backs up everything I said, even though It's just another website that probably has some false statements in there somewhere. It's not like the bible or anything.

Btw, not sure if I'm reading you right or not but inductance is not the driving force. The driving forces are voltage, current and impedance from.the load. Power is also a factor but if you know the formula for power, then you would know I already said power when I said voltage and current. Basically "ohms law".
Glad somebody made that clear. It is basic stuff but we know that. Reminds me of my earlier days (power anyway). Anyway, lets see what kind of stupid jibberish IHC comes up with now.

Last edited by stevemk07; 08-02-2012 at 03:45 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Team Owner

To build a good sounding system you don't need to consider inductance.
Inductance determines the natural roll off of a speaker. It's like a low pass filter. It most certainly is something to consider when buying a set of speakers.

There is inductance based distortion that is some of the worst sounding distortion. Read up on it.

Changing the impedance by altering your wiring will effect power.
Congrats, you're smarter than I thought. You just graduated kindergarten.

I assume u know that. Too little resistance and you can over drive the woofer or even damage your amp because at some point it would look like a short circuit and it will spark and flow too much current if u tried to connect a.load that is under 1 ohm.
Really? The subwoofer would short circuit and "spark" lol wow. Here's something to try. Go out to your TL, look at the radio. You see that large silver knob on the left? You can control the volume with that. I would mention the gain on the amplifier but I'm afraid that would be over your head.

It's somewhat relative to power also. But then again if you increase resistance too much by having too many elements in series, then it will underdrive the woofer.
Same as above. See the large silver knob, see the gain on your amp? You can figure it out I think.
Speakers in parallel don't require as much power.
Speakers in parallel will DRAW more power.
Ported boxes are also more efficient than sealed boxes because the allow the speaker to move more freely than a sealed box. Therefore you can use less power.
Ported boxes are more efficient than sealed boxes because they use the back wave tuned to reinforce the front wave. At tuning frequency the cone barely moves at all no matter how much power is going to it. So you're wrong, a ported box allows the cone to move LESS freely than sealed around tuning frequency.

If allowing the cone to move freely was the only thing a sealed box did, IB would be just as efficient which it is not.
Speaker building 101 chad.

A longer throw / excursion creates a longer sign wave.
It's sine wave, not sign wave.

A longer throw sub does not create longer sine wave, it increases the amplitude of the wave. The frequency determines the length.
Any alternating signal that oscillates longer over a time interval, Like a second, creates lower frequencies.
Good boy. Do you go around listening to 1hz tones? Because what you just described is a 1hz tone.

So bottom line, you need more power or lower impedance to create that movement.
I think you're onto something. Why didn't everyone else think of that, more power might equal more output hmm. The big thing you forgot as most noobs do is the most important of them all, efficiency. Raise efficiency and power requirements go down for the same output.
There are other factors like baffle area or the size of the speaker box, but all that can fluctuate and is forgiving to some degree.
Baffle area? What, are you using a dipole setup in your car lol. Sealed boxes are somewhat forgiving. Ported is less forgiving and bandpass has to be very accurate so don't make blanket statements.

It's less critical than how you wire the speakers and how much power you use.
How you wire the speakers determines how much power they *can* see, nothing more. The enclosure determines it's frequency response. This isn't even subwoofers 101, it's subwoofers preschool.
Your infinite baffle is a perfect example. Your box is your trunk. That's quite larger than specs. But I don't think it hurts your sound in a car. Never really tried it. Sometimes lab/test work is required.
My "box" is larger than what "specs"? I have IB subs, they're made for IB.

Don't bring up the lab/test work. You're not an engineer.

Oh, I apologize if I offended your girlfriend. I see that you both posted at the same time last night. Did your snoring wake him up?
The following users liked this post:
Trunk Monkey (08-02-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Team Owner

Glad somebody made that clear. It is basic stuff but we know that. Reminds me of my earlier days (power anyway). Anyway, lets see what kind of stupid jibberish IHC comes up with now.
Good edit Stevie. I saw last night where you said you design nuclear power stations and you wrote your first published paper at 15 years old. Decided not to use that, huh?

Let's see this published paper, stevie. And if you steal someone else's work I will report you.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Good edit Stevie. I saw last night where you said you design nuclear power stations and you wrote your first published paper at 15 years old. Decided not to use that, huh?

Let's see this published paper, stevie. And if you steal someone else's work I will report you.
Lol. YOU will not see anything more than what you have. Your jibberish only solidifies your immaturity. You were supposed to have reached a certain level of maturity when you turned twelve but I guess you had some trauma, poor parenting or just poor genetics. I would pity you but you are pfobably capable of better. Look up Thrasymacus. That is your pointless style of argument. Your kind only spread fasehoods and confusion in order to pat their own back and ego..
Old 08-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Team Owner

Lol. YOU will not see anything more than what you have. Your jibberish only solidifies your immaturity. You were supposed to have reached a certain level of maturity when you turned twelve but I guess you had some trauma, poor parenting or just poor genetics. I would pity you but you are pfobably capable of better. Look up Thrasymacus. That is your pointless style of argument. Your kind only spread fasehoods and confusion in order to pat their own back and ego..
I figured as much. Do you realize you just described yourself perfectly, better than I could have described you. Gibberish would be the above off topic attempt to turn attention away from the claimed paper you had published at the age of 15, or the claim that you design nuclear power plants, or the fact that everything I wrote is accurate and common knowledge to most, everyone but the two of you. You're probably best off cheeleading for chad and sticking deadener on your tweeters, rather than attempting another post. Look up narcissism.

On topic, show me anything inaccurate about my reply to chad.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Burning Brakes

I figured as much. Gibberish would be the above off topic attempt to turn attention away from the claimed paper you had published at the age of 15, or the claim that you design nuclear power plants, or the fact that everything I wrote is accurate and common knowledge to most, everyone but the two of you. You're probably best off cheeleading for chad and sticking deadener on your tweeters, rather than attempting another post. Look up narcissism.

On topic, show me anything inaccurate about my reply to chad.
I do not actually care to. You know what you are already and so do I.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Team Owner

I do not actually care to. You know what you are already and so do I.
Lolololol. You care enough to argue this far, throw personal insults out there but when it comes time to contribute facts to a discussion that could potentially prove me wrong you don't "care to". You're quick to call my posts gibberish, back up your statement. Lol.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Lolololol. You care enough to argue this far, throw personal insults out there but when it comes time to contribute facts to a discussion that could potentially prove me wrong you don't "care to". You're quick to call my posts gibberish, back up your statement. Lol.
What is the point? Anybody with any technical skills and common sense can see you nit pick little typos to make it appear you are correct. Sometimes you argue something totally unrelated to what had been asserted. Like I said. Your arguments are pointless except to create an illusion of knowledge and understanding. It has worked for you thus far among those you try to impress but it does not work with me.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

get the fuck out of here.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Team Owner

What is the point? Anybody with any technical skills and common sense can see you nit pick little typos to make it appear you are correct. Sometimes you argue something totally unrelated to what had been asserted. Like I said. Your arguments are pointless except to create an illusion of knowledge and understanding. It has worked for you thus far among those you try to impress but it does not work with me.
So show me the "nit picking of little typos". Show me where Chad is right and I am wrong. The information he presented was not just a little off, it was completely false. It should be easy to show me, right?
Old 08-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Post #71 was not correcting "little typo's"....that's a wall of blatant misconception

The fact is that everyone wants to know THE TRUTH. If you don't know, don't say anything! If you don't agree with someone then prove your point in a way other than repeatedly saying "you're dumb and you're wrong", "gibberish", etc.

Quick Reply: Head unit output too low.