has anyone upgraded their stock navigation unit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 05:06 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone upgraded their stock navigation unit?

Has anyone upgraded their stock navi unit for an aftermarket one? I was curious to see if anyone was successful in doing this or if anyone has done it period. I was interested in getting the Kenwood DNX-8120 for my 05' TL and getting an aftermarket cd changer. The reason was because I'm upgrading my whole sound system and didn't want to leave the head-unit out of the equation. Interested in your guys advice
Old 08-13-2008, 05:09 AM
Advanced

im actually looking for a high end navigation unit with good options for everything. I plan on getting head rest monitors in the long run. So if anyone had ideas im open! Thanks
Old 08-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure what you mean. The Acura Navi is meant to be one complete system. You would have to replace the navi unit in the trunk and the navi screen. Not to mention some sort of interface for the audio/control inputs to the stock or new head unit and the buttons on the steering wheel. There is not enough room behind the navi screen to fit a double din unit such as the kenwood unit.

In a perfect world there would need to a a head unit to fit where the current radio is and a touchscreen to fit where the current navi screen is to control the head unit.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:13 AM
Advanced

Could you remove the button cd interface and put a single DIN deck such as the pioneer avic-n4? Or is that too much work to put into it. I just havent heard if upgrading all the speakers and having subs with the stock unit given sounds as good as having an aftermarket head-unit.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:46 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UsMcMos0844
Could you remove the button cd interface and put a single DIN deck such as the pioneer avic-n4? Or is that too much work to put into it. I just havent heard if upgrading all the speakers and having subs with the stock unit given sounds as good as having an aftermarket head-unit.
Im actually looking at doing something simmilar. It sounds like there will be a fair ammount of issues if you pull the stock head unit out of TL WITH nav. I've got a thread going on it, but I'd be interested to see if people have any more oppinions on this.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:03 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by chadwick02
Im actually looking at doing something simmilar. It sounds like there will be a fair ammount of issues if you pull the stock head unit out of TL WITH nav. I've got a thread going on it, but I'd be interested to see if people have any more oppinions on this.
Tell me if you hear anything about that
Old 08-22-2008, 06:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I am wondering if you guys that are thinking about swapping out the head units on the navi models can change the nav screen to the screen on the base models withthe new double dins unit where the stock radio is. The base model screen just displays the temp and has the compass on it (similar to your info center above the center vents).... just a suggestion here.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I am wondering if you guys that are thinking about swapping out the head units on the navi models can change the nav screen to the screen on the base models withthe new double dins unit where the stock radio is. The base model screen just displays the temp and has the compass on it (similar to your info center above the center vents).... just a suggestion here.
Another option would be to do this but add a carputer with navigation (keeping the stock HU and HFL).

You could toss it all and do like King of Pain and go carputer and a new HU.

Or, try some combination of a both a carputer, new HU and keep some of the navi components so that some of the info in the sub display are still usable for the clock and hvac.

I'd eventually like replace my navi display with a Xenarc screen and a switch to toggle between the stock navi and carputer (already have a RGBs to VGA converter). Then replace the HU altogether, but I'll still retain the stock navi system so I have the clock and hvac displays available.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:17 PM
9th Gear

all you need is a dash kit but i cant find any so i guess fiberglassing is the solution but if it doesnt go too difficult i might make a few extra and will let you guys know