Has Anyone Upgraded Factory Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaa99pa
Hey Black, how do those Polks sound? ever heard them in a car, or just at the store? Also, did you remove your factory amp from the system, and if so, what did you do with the amp mute wire? ...
I have heard them in the store and I had the MOMO MM6 components in my last car. I love the way they sound. I am also going to put in the Polk SR12. I did remove the factory amp, I used the wiring coming out of the radio as low level input straight into the new amp. Works great and still has all the functionality of the factory!! No line level converters needed.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The carpet appears to be the exact same color as the facctory because we rebuilt the entire trunk, we use a special type of wrap at our shop to wrap it. The original sotck color was grey which matched nothing in the car so we cahanged it. Here is a link to all the build pictures including the original trunk color. http://www.jmlaudio.com/acura.htm I hope your moderator doesn't take it off if they consider it advertising? If you have any other question you can always call or e-mail directly. Glad to help.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:15 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with changing my rear speakers

My rear right speaker has been blown and I need to change it out but I could not get into the speaker compartment..I attempted to go in from the trunk but there is a metal tray that protects all three speakers..Do I need to remove the back seats or something of that nature to get to the speakers..I don't want to go to a professional installation place for such a minor speaker switch...Please help me with any suggestions on how to get to the rear speakers so i can change them out..
Old 05-08-2007, 04:51 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Madvillian
My rear right speaker has been blown and I need to change it out but I could not get into the speaker compartment..I attempted to go in from the trunk but there is a metal tray that protects all three speakers..Do I need to remove the back seats or something of that nature to get to the speakers..I don't want to go to a professional installation place for such a minor speaker switch...Please help me with any suggestions on how to get to the rear speakers so i can change them out..

Take out the back seats and rear deck cover.

Ya dont need to copy and paste the same question into multiple threads
Old 05-24-2009, 12:16 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
The impedance of the speaker has no effect on the filtering. The 2 or 4 ohm's are just resistances while the speaker is at rest. The speaker impedance changes as the speaker moves. To do any type of filtering you would need a crossover of some kind. The capacitors that come with a set of tweeters are considered crossovers. They are a 1st order 6db per octave, a capacitor and a coil are a 2nd order 12 db per octave. The more you add to it the steeper the crossover point is. This means in a high pass filter, only the frequencies above a certain point will pass through at a certain impendence. Even though the impedance may be the say doesn't mean you will get the same amount of sound out of it either. The larger a magnet structure is on any speaker will also make it harder for it to move. The factory speakers in the TL are neodymium, which offer a high magnetic flux for its size. So if you replace the speakers in the car with something else that is of higher quality, you may loose sound, if you do not replace the factory amp. Also by changing from 2 to 4 ohm, you will cut the factory amps power by almost half. (Less sound).

Jason
I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I have to clarify something here.
While Jason is correct about the 6dB/oct and 12dB/oct crossovers, he is wrong about speaker impedance not having effect on filtering. The same crossover will filter different frequencies when connected to a 4 Ohm speaker than a 2 Ohm, and different yet when connected to 8 Ohm speaker. The higher the impedance the less effective the capacitor at filtering out low frequencies. So a 3000Hz high pass filter designed for a 4 ohm speaker will let through 1500Hz when connected to an 8 Ohm speaker. To make matters worse, speakers are not linear when it comes to impedance, nor are they linear when it comes to frequency response. Therefore a "textbook" crossover that you can buy premade from a supplier will never result in textbook system response when connected to real world drivers. Designing a crossover for a speaker system is a real engineering task and requires right tools and knowledge.

Also, a speaker that is very efficient will play louder with the same amp than a less efficient one even if has higher impedance, so Jason's last comment is not 100% correct. Old style full range paper speakers had efficiency of nearly 100dB/W. The newer polypropylene midbasses are lucky to get close to 90dB/W. So even if the latter is a 2 Ohm device and the former 4 Ohm, it will play quieter at max amplifier output (by about 6 dB) taking in account max power output of the amp into different impedance. There are quite a few variables involved in system design.