has anyone found a DSP that works for any car stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 04:41 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone found a DSP that works for any car stereo?

every DSP (digital Sound Processor) i've found, - alpine, clarion, etc, requires the DSP to work specifically with one of their head units.

i want to see if it's possible to utilize a dsp (llike the clarion DVH 940) with any stereo so i can get 5.1 outputs into the 3Sixty and use it (DVD player)as the auxillary source on it so we can finally utilize the 5.1 surround in our car.

As far as i read in the manual, the 3sixty has a button on the controller that would allow it to switch between 2 sources. it has the input from the TL system, and then it accepts a secondary 5.1 input.

that's where the DVD player comes in.

if you look at the install specs for the clarion, it has the regular RCA outputs fpr all of the 5.1 signals after reciving the signals from the head unit. theoretically I could take the 5.1 outputs from the DSP to the 5.1 Inputs of the 3Sixty, and

*schwing*

5.1 DVD audio from DVD on the TL.

but.. i can't find a DSP that will accept either SPDIF inputs or digital coaxial inputs from an dvd player. It has to be specific to the DSP. the alpine requires the ai-net, the clarion requires, CEnet. all their own proprietary inputs.

anyone have any ideas on a non-specific DSP for dolby and DTS decoding?

thoughts?
ideas?
rants for being a noob?

-sequoia
Old 05-29-2006, 09:26 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sequoia
every DSP (digital Sound Processor) i've found, - alpine, clarion, etc, requires the DSP to work specifically with one of their head units.

i want to see if it's possible to utilize a dsp (llike the clarion DVH 940) with any stereo so i can get 5.1 outputs into the 3Sixty and use it (DVD player)as the auxillary source on it so we can finally utilize the 5.1 surround in our car.

As far as i read in the manual, the 3sixty has a button on the controller that would allow it to switch between 2 sources. it has the input from the TL system, and then it accepts a secondary 5.1 input.

that's where the DVD player comes in.

if you look at the install specs for the clarion, it has the regular RCA outputs fpr all of the 5.1 signals after reciving the signals from the head unit. theoretically I could take the 5.1 outputs from the DSP to the 5.1 Inputs of the 3Sixty, and

*schwing*

5.1 DVD audio from DVD on the TL.

but.. i can't find a DSP that will accept either SPDIF inputs or digital coaxial inputs from an dvd player. It has to be specific to the DSP. the alpine requires the ai-net, the clarion requires, CEnet. all their own proprietary inputs.

anyone have any ideas on a non-specific DSP for dolby and DTS decoding?

thoughts?
ideas?
rants for being a noob?

-sequoia
Zapco DSP6 or any of the Zapco DC line of amps. Currently my system is the OEM head unit and amp. Output of the amp spliced directly into RCAs feeding an Audio Control DQS. The DQS as digital inputs and outputs. No need for a hi-low converter. From the DQS to three Zapco DC1000.4s. The amps have all the dsp built in them you will ever need. I am changing out the DQS for the Zapco DSP6 soon. The DSP6 came in last week but I havent had a chance to install it yet. I hope by adding the Zapco converters to get a little higher voltage in the signal chain.

Kirk
Old 05-29-2006, 09:28 PM
FOR SALE - BM

i love zapco stuff...
Old 05-30-2006, 02:04 AM
tuning / modding newbie.

the DSPS-SL looks perfect, spdif inputs, rca-output. as long as i find a dvd player with dolby and dts decoding, it seems like this will be perfect (the price is another story, but if it works, it will be worth it)

I was looking at the amplifers like you suggested, but the 6 channel amp didn't seem to have optical input. i was looking at the manual, and it didn't show spdif or coaxial input on the front nor back like the dsp6 did.

but in all honesty, i rather have them as 2 separate units, so if one goes bad, i can replace just one piece. (but at 900 dollars, i hope it lasts FOREVER) but this is perfect!!!

thanks for all your help.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am pretty sure that the Zapco piece will not decode 5.1 - I have been looking myself for a DSP that has 6 ch analog in for the stock unit and a digital input that will decode 5.1 and haven't had any luck.

-Kris
Old 06-01-2006, 01:12 AM
tuning / modding newbie.

you don;t need it to decode. the decoder is in the DVD player, you just need something that will take the digital output and separate it into the 5.1 channels. ths zapco has an spdif input to recieve signals and separate them into their channels.

my home reciever doesn't decode my DVD player does. I'm assuming this will work the same way.

...i hope

you can see all the ports if you download the pdf of the manual.

someone try it... :-)
Old 06-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Advanced

Clarion DVD Changer

I just bought the 6-disk Clarion DVD changer VCZ625 and am getting ready to install it with Dom's NavTV2Go unit. I just noticed Clarion makes a Surround Sound Processor (DVH920) that can plug directly into my changer. This wouldn't give me surround sound would it? Wouldn't it still have to go through the 2 channel analog of the head unit, thus killing any processing that had taken place prior?

If by some miracle it does and doesn't require a bunch of modification to existing HU wires I would probably be willing to throw it in.

If anyone has any info on this please let me know.

Thanks