GPS Unit Not Acquiring Signal

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GPS Unit Not Acquiring Signal

(this is a repost from the main 2nd gen forum... maybe you guys can offer additional input)

Wonder if you guys could help me out...

I got a 99 TL with Nav. The original hard-drive disc with the maps came fried when I bought the car used, so I replaced it with one of Paul's very popular cards and it always worked perfectly. I had that for about two years.

Recently, I joined the "my transmission died" club (at 120k miles), at the worst possible moment (family members where visiting from out of the country), so I had to have the transmission rebuilt.

After I picked up the car from the transmission place three days later, I had to enter the radio and nav security codes. No problems there. However, after I did that, the nav screen displayed the following message: "System is acquiring GPS signal. This can take up to 10 minutes. Car has to be parked in an open location, away from buildings, engine running..." etc...

I waited multiple times for more than 10 minutes, on multipe locations, but the nav is still not working. It seems it can't get a signal from the GPS satllite.

I went to Acura. They reboot the unit, checked the antennas and said they were fine. They said that there are two options: either the nav trunk unit got fried by accident by whoever fixed my transmission, or the weather is preventing the unit from detecting a signal (it's been raining really bad here in South FL for the last two days). What do you guys think? I tried resetting the codes, unplugging the battery, etc. Still nothing. I's VERY upset. I spent more than 2K on the transmission, they fixed that but now I have ANOTHER problem that's gonna cost me an arm and a leg to fix... Any ideas of how to fix this? Maybe the card in the trunk unit got wiped-out by accident? Can bad weather really prevent the unit from picking up a signal? Any help is MOST appreciated. Thanks!!!

(original thread is here: https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/suggestions-da-audiophiles-174576/)

Thanks!