A good amp under $300? Plus Geek Squad installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 05:00 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A good amp under $300? Plus Geek Squad installation

Hey guys, i called in Futureshop (bestbuy) and they told me ANY 6 1/2 speaker could fit in the front doors with a bracket?? is this true? i heard a lot of speakers won't fit when i did my research because of its awkward position??

Also told me a 4-channel amp is a no no and only 5-channel will work? is this true? also is there any problems i should encounter when replacing an amp?

Also he told me its $100 to install both speakers in the front plus $30 for brackets

should i listen to them Lol?

Should i attempt to do it myself with no knowledge ? especially the amp?

Last edited by Pegon95; 11-25-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
If you have tin snips and usual tools you can do the door speakers yourself and may as well do some dampening while the panel is off. totally depends on how your upgrading but there is definitely ways to use a 4 ch amp. I agree for the best bang/$ 5 channel is the way in this car. Look at my build with a 5 channel. 4 channels bridged to front components, sub on sub channel. rear fill and center on OEM amp.

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...-fever-854353/

Their quote is high and knowledge low. Find a good car audio shop and have them install an amp kit that you bring them and tap your FL/FR with RCA and then you can do the rest of this yourself.

Last edited by pohljm; 11-25-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by pohljm
If you have tin snips and usual tools you can do the door speakers yourself and may as well do some dampening while the panel is off. totally depends on how your upgrading but there is definitely ways to use a 4 ch amp. I agree for the best bang/$ 5 channel is the way in this car. Look at my build with a 5 channel. 4 channels bridged to front components, sub on sub channel. rear fill and center on OEM amp.

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...-fever-854353/

Their quote is high and knowledge low. Find a good car audio shop and have them install an amp kit that you bring them and tap your FL/FR with RCA and then you can do the rest of this yourself.
Any good door speakers and amps do you recommend for our cars?
Old 11-25-2014, 11:10 PM
Suzuka Master

well I believe the best amp for our particular car is one that works well with the stock HU output and that would be JL and possibly the Alpine. there are plenty of good amps out there but you will need additional electronics like a line driver to make them work properly.

Correct modifications to this car performance or otherwise are not inexpensive. then again you get what you pay for. I would wait until I could get a used JL 900/5 at your budget.

If you can fabricate a baffle for an IB sub then I would go for a JL 700/5 more likely to get that at your price point.

Last edited by pohljm; 11-25-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:00 AM
Instructor

well I believe the best amp for our particular car is one that works well with the stock HU output and that would be JL and possibly the Alpine. there are plenty of good amps out there but you will need additional electronics like a line driver to make them work properly.

Correct modifications to this car performance or otherwise are not inexpensive. then again you get what you pay for. I would wait until I could get a used JL 900/5 at your budget.

If you can fabricate a baffle for an IB sub then I would go for a JL 700/5 more likely to get that at your price point.
Any tips on how to install the front door speakers? should i attempt to do it myself or pay someone to do it?
Old 11-26-2014, 02:40 PM
Suzuka Master

There is a D shaped hole in the door. It needs to be cut into a circle. Easy with snips. Most aftermarket speakers worth anythng will require a spacer ring . You can cut your own from mdf or purchase some on-line
Old 11-27-2014, 12:03 AM
Instructor

There is a D shaped hole in the door. It needs to be cut into a circle. Easy with snips. Most aftermarket speakers worth anythng will require a spacer ring . You can cut your own from mdf or purchase some on-line
You mean bracket right? So you telling me ANY 6 1/2 speakers can fit in the door as long as i cut the "D" shaped hole into a circle right? can you attack a picture here to provide me some visual aid before i open up my door panel? Thank you