Frustrated with NAV routing....

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frustrated with NAV routing....

I have a new to me 08' TL with NAV. The few times I have used the NAV it suggests routes that are not the fastest routes. If I ignore the route it recalcs but it tries to get me back on the original route. Only after it makes absolutely no sense to try to get back on its originally suggested route will it it conceded and recalc to my direction.

A few times I tried to use it away from home in an unfamiliar city and later found out from friends that I took "the long way".

Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a setting I'm not aware of that will enable me to tell the system what primary road I want to use when it calculates a route? Would a software update fix this problem?
Old 09-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
There are options for "Direct Route," Easy Route," minimize or maximize highways, etc. which are selectable for each destination.

There is also an option on the '05 TL Navi which map 5 separate routes so you can pick the easiest, although some routes have many of the same roads in common.

The Navi seems to work pretty decently in SoCal, though.

G/L.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
imho all nav's have this deficiency(builtin and windsheild mounts). they eventually figure out where you are trying to go to. :P
Old 09-17-2009, 11:19 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
:walksin:

:walksout:
Old 09-18-2009, 10:16 PM
KBPftmfw

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
You can check the route and see the turn-by-turn directions then decide if that's the route you want.

We went to Myrtle Beach on the 6th and the direct route shaved off almost 2 whole hours. On the way back we took the maximize freeways option and that was 2 hours longer than the way down but I knew ahead of time.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also frustrated!

You're not alone... Our Nav system was mad at us today also! There is a split around the twin cities- It wanted us on 35W, but due to construction, we went on 35E...

It told us Make a U-turn 8-9 times (Every 10 seconds) I guess it Tried to recalculate route- "Make U-Turn! it kept repeating.

Then the Nav finally gave up and said;
"There is no way to get to your destination!"
and shut off....

We were like WTF?

It seriously got pissed, told us to turn around, then gave up and said there's no hope for us to get home! LMAO, Technology at it's finest!

I was waiting for NAV to say: "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."
(2001 Space Odyssey )

I read about the settings also in our '04- press "set-up" button like said above, and we can change how it is calculated.
Good Luck!
Old 09-21-2009, 07:46 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
There are options for "Direct Route," Easy Route," minimize or maximize highways, etc. which are selectable for each destination.

There is also an option on the '05 TL Navi which map 5 separate routes so you can pick the easiest, although some routes have many of the same roads in common.

The Navi seems to work pretty decently in SoCal, though.

G/L.
Note that if you're going more than 100 miles it won't let you use every routing option; "Minimize Freeways" is unavailable for such trips, for example. (I assume this means that if the "Direct Route" is more than 100 miles it disables "Minimize Freeways," as I can certainly see scenarios where some of the routing options give routes over 100 miles but other routing options do not.)

To answer the OP's final point, however, no, you cannot tell it you want specific roads in your routing. You can select the way it chooses the route ("Minimize Toll Roads," "Easy Route," etc.), but you can't say, for example, "I want to take I-95 instead of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway" (for me, the Navi always opts for the B-W Parkway, and I almost always ignore it because I-95 has more lanes and a higher speed limit).
Old 09-21-2009, 12:24 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Oh yes, the Navi system that frequently takes me around in circles!

Too many times I have a destination that's only a block away and this fuckin thing takes me blocks out of the way and back.

Following it to my current home address takes me on a route 2.8 miles off the Palisades Pkwy where it's only 1.7 miles just by getting off the next exit. Doesn't matter how I set it in terms of Direct or Easy Routes.

The best was a trip from Franklin Lakes, NJ to an Intersection in Brooklyn. Those familiar with the NY/NJ tri-state area will understand what I'm talking about getting told to get onto Rt 17 North off of Rt 4 East on my way to the George Washington Bridge. Any questions?????

The service department's response ..... buy the new DVD.
Yeah, right.

But I still have to say better with it than without it despite all the Bullshit.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
I feel your pain. I have found the Nav to be most useful when traveling to destinations I have never been to before or don't know my way around. In these cases it's absolutely a Godsend. However, if it's somewhere I'm halfway familiar with, I just take the way I know and leave the Nav alone.