Front component speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Front component speakers

The front passenger side speaker sound louder and clearer than the front driver side speaker. Balance and Fader on stereo is at Zero. Speakers are brand new. Any ideas what is going on?

Thank you
Old 12-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Jokerman

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Due to where you are sitting, the passenger side speaker can sound "louder" than the drivers side. When you are sitting in the drivers seat your leg is right next to the speaker causing it to muffle the sound. If you want to confirm that they sound different then lean ove rhte center console from the back seat and listen. If they still sound different then you have to think about your set-up. What type of speakers did you install? Are they running off the stock system or an aftermarket amp.

This is what i have discovered with mine. I went aftermarket amps and speakers because the stock amp could not drive the aftermarket speakers as well as stock because the voice coil resistance was greater on the aftermarket speakers.

I appologize if i do not make any sense and can clarify if needed.
The following users liked this post:
JD TL-S (12-14-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 01:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thank you for your response. I have aftermarker component speaker ( POLK audio) and Uncald4 PnP RF amp. I tested each speaker separately and the front left is definitely sounded weaker/uncleared comparing to the front right. It seem like this is a common problem with this amp. Others with this amp have the same issue.
JD TL-S (12-14-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by THTL
Thank you for your response. I have aftermarker component speaker ( POLK audio) and Uncald4 PnP RF amp. I tested each speaker separately and the front left is definitely sounded weaker/uncleared comparing to the front right. It seem like this is a common problem with this amp. Others with this amp have the same issue.
take the wires coming out of the amp stock signal, not after amplifier!, and switch them around. Basically the signal for the Left speaker goes to the right and the signal for the right speaker goes to the left.

if the muddled sound changes speakers, then then the problem is with the factory radio/amplifier. If the problem does not change speakers, then the problem is with the amplifier or the wiring going to the new speakers.
JD TL-S (12-14-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Jokerman

i agree with csmeance. that is a good troubleshooting method
Old 12-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

This amp is a Plug n Play. There is sound coming out of the front left speaker, not just not as loud as the right .
Old 12-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
That is correct and the troubleshooting method above will allow you to determine if its the amp or the head unit that has a problem
Old 12-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
the wires just run into a plug. Find out which color code is Left and which is Right. Swap them
Old 12-14-2011, 10:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by jokerman826
Due to where you are sitting, the passenger side speaker can sound "louder" than the drivers side.
This would be a first. The passenger side is much further away from you than the drivers side, hence why people time align speakers. The drivers side will always sound louder than the passenger if gains are set correctly and there is no time alignment to compensate for the path length difference.

Originally Posted by THTL
Well, you may have an idea then. If others are having the same problem, you can definitely go to all the trouble of switching everything to verify it is not the HU, but really it seems like a big waste of time. Unless of course all others having this same issue magically had their radios go bad in the exact same fashion after connecting the PNP system (highly unlikely).

Have you contacted UNCALD4 about this problem? That is where I would start. The gains are simply front and back, so there is no left/right adjustment that could be causing it. You could take a multimeter and measure the voltage at the amp or speaker itself. Hell, you could do that before and after the amp just by crimping a connector on the wires (so you wouldn't be cutting or changing anything) and use a test tone of 1k (I would disconnect the speakers if you do 'cause you would need to crank the volume and don't want to damage the speakers or your ears. Sound to me like a possible problem in the PNP wire harness. I would contact him to discuss.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Jokerman

Originally Posted by niebur3
This would be a first. The passenger side is much further away from you than the drivers side, hence why people time align speakers. The drivers side will always sound louder than the passenger if gains are set correctly and there is no time alignment to compensate for the path length difference.

Some people like myself, would drive with their legs covering the speaker a little so it muffles the sound, If the whole section was quoted correctly then that would have been seen.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by jokerman826
Some people like myself, would drive with their legs covering the speaker a little so it muffles the sound, If the whole section was quoted correctly then that would have been seen.
Unless your leg was against the door panel tight enough to seal off the opening, then the drivers side will be louder...always! Path length differences is one of the hardest thing to fight in car audio and if it was as simple as pressing your leg against the door, we wouldn't need nearly the processing power.

Sound waves permeate right through your leg with the frequencies the door speakers play. The lower the frequency, the more it will permeate (that is why you hear a plane overhead in your house, or the dud with the mad beets coming down the street). Only a tweeter could really be audibly effected by your leg, and still not enough to shift your sound stage that far.

The problem lies somewhere else.

Last edited by niebur3; 12-15-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:39 PM
04 ABP 3G TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What is the model for Polk Audio speakers?

Whats the polk audio component speakers model for the front doors?

Thanks!