First time installing a new sound system...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 12:30 AM
Banned

Received 176 Likes on 34 Posts
First time installing a new sound system...

Ok, I've been wanting to do this for a long time. I have researched and researched and researched... I FINALLY figured out the stuff I want and I got the money to buy it. I have bought everything (i think) that I will need for this audio upgrade.

Here's what I got:

-Pioneer TS-D1720c Component System
-JL 10w3v3-2 Subwoofer with a sealed enclosure
-RF-BLD 2 channel line driver
-Alpine MRP-F300 4 channel amp
-Alpine MRP-M500 mono amp
-Kicker PKD4 dual amp wiring kit
-Dynamat Extreme bulk pack
-100ft of 12 gauge speaker wire (too much, i know)

Here's what I plan on doing as of now:
-First things first, Install dynamat on all 4 doors, rear deck, trunk, and trunk lid
-Then, Cut the wires for the front 2 channels BEFORE the factory amp
-Attach RCAs to them (not entirely sure how to do this)
-Take those RCAs to the RF-BLD
-Take the output RCAs from the RF-BLD to the RCA inputs on the MRP-F300
-Use the RCA pre-outs on the MRP-F300 and take them to the RCA inputs on the MRP-M500
-Leave the factory amp in to power the rear speakers (I have to put the stock speakers back in there)

I have never installed a car audio system before, but I feel with the amount of research I have done (too much), and the help of members on Azine when I need it, I'll be able to do this myself. I originally intended on having a shop do it. I called, told them everything I want done, and they quoted me at around 500 for everything to be installed. That's seems a little ridiculous.

I know I can wire the stuff up correctly and make it work and sound great (at least that's what I'm telling myself). My main concern is doing that and making it look clean (hiding wires, hiding amps, etc). I have no idea where I want to put the amps. I was thinking maybe under the front seats if there is room. The spare tire compartment seems like the perfect place, but I know I'll regret doing that. Maybe under the rear deck in the trunk ? I don't know. I might hook everything up, then go to the audio shop to have them mount the amps, and make everything look clean and nice. That's a huge concern for me.

I'm pretty tired so I might have forgotten some stuff, but from what I've given, does anybody see anything wrong with anything? Any suggestions, tips, advice? I've been talking to a member on here and he has been very helpful, but I figured I'd make this thread and open it up to everyone to get some more opinions. I'm planning on starting it this weekend. Maybe friday after work, just to give myself enough time.

Oh, the things I still need to buy... RCA cables! Ha. When I started buying stuff I planned on going after the factory amp. Thats why i bought all that speaker wire. Then i decided to go pre-amp. Oh well.

Give me some feedback, thanks!