Dynomat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Unregistered User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CSWBiggs
rob...

u need to enclose the rear of those drivers in an appropriate sized enclosure...tuned to match the front ported chamber...all tuned around the length of your port...
i messaged you more details, but what I'm not understanding is how all of a sudden i have half of a bandpass box (which now i know what the term is used to describe) if all I have done is invert the subwoofers?

I did the same thing in my truck with no change in volume. The main difference was that I had magnets visible and they wouldn't get as hot because fresh air was surrounding them.

Now, the questionable difference between the truck box and this new concept box is that I now have a longer port so that I can get snug against the skipass opening.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Need to fix my Bike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rob I have read through this thread and I think this link will give you a little more information so you can better understand the lexicon that these guys are using and help you better understand the different box types. The nomenclature "bandpass" means exactly what it sounds like, it passes a certain "tuned" band of frequencies, not the materials it is made of. Give it a try.
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxes4.asp#1
Old 06-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob RiL
i messaged you more details, but what I'm not understanding is how all of a sudden i have half of a bandpass box (which now i know what the term is used to describe) if all I have done is invert the subwoofers?

I did the same thing in my truck with no change in volume. The main difference was that I had magnets visible and they wouldn't get as hot because fresh air was surrounding them.

Now, the questionable difference between the truck box and this new concept box is that I now have a longer port so that I can get snug against the skipass opening.
PM responded to...

you have two totally different animals between that truck box and the tl box i am questioning..

first off...truck box is a ported enclosure with inverted drivers...simple as that...not recommended btw simply do to loss of effeciency...but isnt detrimental to performance of your subwoofer system...

none the less the front wave of the sub was able to combine with the rear wave generated by the port...as they're both in the listening area

second

firing the subwoofers into a ported enclosure is half of a bandpass...as the ported enclosure acts as a mechanical filter. where you seem to lack the comprehension is..

The port MUST tune the front chamber to the exact center of the passband or the box will sound like total garbage. The center of the passband corresponds directly to the sealed-box resonant frequency or fc of the rear sealed chamber...

if you have no rear sealed chamber...you cant correspond or corrolate to anything...catch my drift?

also...if all that you're extending into the car is a port...that is classic band pass

band - freq range...ie 30 -80 (sub bass example...can be any range u desire..ie mid bass 80 - 200...midrang 200 - 3000 tweeter 3000 - up)

pass - to allow into listening enviroment

-Jason
Old 06-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Question, will the dynamat also help quiet the rattles in my car? Or are the rattles helped more by going around the car and tightening things up? Thanks.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Jason, I have the WinISD program and was experimenting with different parameters when I was bored which is pretty often. Any tips on how to use the software?

I get lost when it asks for different "equal ripple response" or "max flat delay response" and others. Any suggestions on how to use this stuff? I'm not trying to design anything, just learning how different things interact with each other.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:00 AM
Unregistered User

Originally Posted by Dimensions
Question, will the dynamat also help quiet the rattles in my car? Or are the rattles helped more by going around the car and tightening things up? Thanks.
tightening things can help but all in all, you have metal just waiting for some sound wave to ripple through it - thus causing undesired sound. i use the word dynamat very vaguely. basically any dampering material that will absorb or deaden the sound produced by vibrating panels will help clean up the cab.

as for the other topics relating to my box, i will finish it and try it out. i will provide videos whether is sounds like dick or amazing. i'm not afraid to admit i'm wrong, if i am. it looks like i am according to the knowledge and experience of jason. but i will try by design out. if it doesn't work, i will try whatever jason says i should do. it's that simple really. i'm sorry if i overspoke and talked shit. i really didn't mean to offend anyone. i just remember how much of an impact one of my designs made and i expected more with the TL. give me about another month or less to finish my project and i will have build pics, final pics, and videos. Jason, what song did you use for the video where your roof is flexing? I'd like to use that same song for comparison.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Jason, I have the WinISD program and was experimenting with different parameters when I was bored which is pretty often. Any tips on how to use the software?

I get lost when it asks for different "equal ripple response" or "max flat delay response" and others. Any suggestions on how to use this stuff? I'm not trying to design anything, just learning how different things interact with each other.
dont even mess with tht..home design kinda stuff...

anyways i won't be building boxes for a bit

got into a fight with my table saw...apparently i lost...this is one of the two fingers after i fixed it...lol...its fractured in 4 spots and will require sugery to pin it all together...lmao!

-Jason
Old 06-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Old 06-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Team Owner

got into a fight with my table saw...apparently i lost...this is one of the two fingers after i fixed it...lol...its fractured in 4 spots and will require sugery to pin it all together...lmao!

-Jason
Damn! Sorry to hear/see that. Did it get smashed or cut?
Old 06-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Pro

it got ripped wide open...lol...this is after we had it sutured together...no biggie didnt really hurt...still doesn't hurt too bad...i'll live...for now...the things i do for audio!

-Jason
Old 06-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
A doctor once told me you sometimes never really feel severe injuries. I was hit by a car when i was 16..broke both legs and didn't feel a thing..
Old 06-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Team Owner

it got ripped wide open...lol...this is after we had it sutured together...no biggie didnt really hurt...still doesn't hurt too bad...i'll live...for now...the things i do for audio!

-Jason
You didn't have to cut your finger to avoid giving me the box this weekend...... Kidding. Hope it heals well. And take it from my mistakes, keep it clean. Did they give you antibiotics?
Old 06-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Geez... glad you're ok and you seem to be taking it well man. Wish you well.

Originally Posted by eggyhustles
A doctor once told me you sometimes never really feel severe injuries. I was hit by a car when i was 16..broke both legs and didn't feel a thing..
2 Reasons:

1. You either sever the nerve or receptors that transmit pain to your brain
2. Your brain shuts down pain sensation due to electrical over load.. (analogy blowing a fuse)
Old 06-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I could never be a surgeon... I would pass out on the operating table.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Trew

I could never be a surgeon... I would pass out on the operating table.
Same here.

Even shots bother me. The pain is not a big deal but I can't watch it being done.

The girlfriend used to like to put it on the surgery channel to watch me freak out.

Anyone remember "faces of death"? I can't believe they were available at normal video stores.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I remember that show.. The live monkey brains and the parachuter falling into the alligator pit were the most memorable for me!
Old 06-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

-Jason
That's fucking awesome bro! I've had two installers get it on with the table router but your ish is the worst I've seen.

There is a valuable lesson in there folks. Thanks for the pic Jason. That's one thing words just can't describe.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by uncald4
That's fucking awesome bro! I've had two installers get it on with the table router but your ish is the worst I've seen.

There is a valuable lesson in there folks. Thanks for the pic Jason. That's one thing words just can't describe.
lol...certainly is a lesson to be learned...

i'm a ok though...will be back at it in a couple weeks...

thanks for all of your concerns

-Jason
Old 06-15-2009, 12:40 AM
Unregistered User

lol...certainly is a lesson to be learned...

i'm a ok though...will be back at it in a couple weeks...

thanks for all of your concerns

-Jason
i think we're both jinxed. my left middle finger's tip got trapped between a steel door and a steel door frame probably the same day that happened to you. i walked around in circles for about a minute before i found a freezer to stick my hand in. then i almost puked from the pain. it sucked.
my finger tip is a few different colors from the blood inside of it. It's also a lot harder to type now.

hope we both get to keep our fingers!
Old 06-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Rob RiL
i think we're both jinxed. my left middle finger's tip got trapped between a steel door and a steel door frame probably the same day that happened to you. i walked around in circles for about a minute before i found a freezer to stick my hand in. then i almost puked from the pain. it sucked.
my finger tip is a few different colors from the blood inside of it. It's also a lot harder to type now.

hope we both get to keep our fingers!
oh man sorry to hear that...

hows it doin today?

-Jason

just a peek of whats been up for my customer's

Old 06-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Unregistered User

that looks clean. 5 cubic foot sealed wiith a plexi window?

my finger started to turn normal colors again. ha. so i think i'm okay.