DVD Unit: PCMCIA card slot uses?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 01:45 AM
04 6MT WDP w/ black Whls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Unit: PCMCIA card slot uses?

Everywhere I've read everyone says the PC card slot, which appears to be a PCMCIA card slot, is only there for Acura techs to access car data. I'm not satisfied with that. I'm thinking it could be possible to put a SD card reader in there and somehow manage to play MP3's from an SD card. It has to be possible... somehow. Could one of the techies in here maybe inspect the PC card thing and see if its wired to the DVD player, versus like the cars computer? Is this something that can be hacked/modded to take a PCMCIA SD card reader and play music from an SD card??? I mean with 16GB SD cards for cheap, and PCMCIA card readers hovering around $40, this could be a much more desirable route to playing MP3's than a much more expensive and invasive iPod adapter.

Anyone????

Plus, the technology involved in a SD card reader is very basic, all things considered, so its not like you have some firmware or BIOS that will confuse the car.

Last edited by CamraMaan; 07-06-2009 at 01:47 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:49 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
It's not hooked up to the sound system in the car, so it's useless. You cannot play MP3s on it. You cannot access any type of file on a card you insert in it.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:27 PM
04 6MT WDP w/ black Whls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So how hard would it be to hook it up?

On similar note, how hard is it to connect a USB SD card reader or USB jump drive to the stereo that will have full NAV screen access and MP3 playability? I know basically the same can be done with an iPod, but its not exactly cheap or "easy" to do it all (albeit its not horribly difficult to do it either). I'm basically looking for the cheapest (times are rough right now) and easiest way to be able to play MP3's in my car, given that my CD changer is not functioning... so I have to figure in the cost to fix that as an alternative option.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by CamraMaan
So how hard would it be to hook it up?

On similar note, how hard is it to connect a USB SD card reader or USB jump drive to the stereo that will have full NAV screen access and MP3 playability? I know basically the same can be done with an iPod, but its not exactly cheap or "easy" to do it all (albeit its not horribly difficult to do it either). I'm basically looking for the cheapest (times are rough right now) and easiest way to be able to play MP3's in my car, given that my CD changer is not functioning... so I have to figure in the cost to fix that as an alternative option.
The PCMIA slow is already hooked up. The ONLY thing it is used for is technician diagnostics. That's it. You cannot add anything to it or modify it any way to make it play music or any other type of file.

There are adapters out there that will allow you to add an mp3 player capability, or even a USB flash drive with music files. You can search on here and you should be able to find something.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
For Non-Alpine Tech's, the slot is for DOWNLOAD use only, to download diagnostic files and other data that can be stored on one. However Alpine probably has certain tools and procedures to use that slot to probably update and upload firmware to the drive when it's sent in for repair.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CamraMaan
Is this something that can be hacked/modded to take a PCMCIA SD card reader and play music from an SD card???
In cars for the market of Japan PCMCIA card slot it is used for record and reproduction of vocal messages from the daily log. In the software of cars for the market of the USA and Europe this function is absent. Sound reproduction technically probably only in a mode mono the channel (L).