DVD A Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 11:04 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD A Review

Foo Fighters is pretty good. Anyone have the Police or anything that is really good. I havn't heard anything come close to Linkin Parks as far as 5.1 sound yet! :sqntfawk:
Old 06-29-2004, 11:40 AM
ImayBparanoidButNoAndroid

I havn't heard either of those disc, not a fan of the music, but the best disc I've heard as far as sound quality and surround mix is Elton John's Good By Yellow Brick Road. One thing that kind of stands out about the mix is that it is pretty bass heavy. I have to turn the Basslink off and use only the stock sub. By far, the best sounding disc I own.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:35 PM
VTEC HoooA

Flaming Lips - Yoshimi and the battle of the pink robots
Beck - Sea Change

Two great discs, both of which are 5.1 mixed by (you guessed it) Elliot Scheiner

Both HIGHLY recommended!!!!

Old 06-29-2004, 03:40 PM
Advanced

I'll second Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. Amazing sound quality and very
intelligent use of the discreet channels. Great separation without using
gimmicky panning effects.
The Flaming Lips "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" is also really really awesome,
and it's this disc that I use to show off the DVD-A capablities of the TL. Again,
the sound quality is great, excellent separation, and the music lends itself well
to what I previously referred to as "gimmicky" panning effects.
Beck's "Sea Change" DVD-A is also really good. Very clean-sounding, clear
separation, smart placement of the different instruments. Great, great tunes too.
Of course, none of this means jack if you don't like the artist, so bear that in mind.
What I'd REALLY like is a Rammstein DVD-A. Or NIN....but I bet that's not gonna happen.
I'm really interested in the handful of Neil Young DVD-As out there but I can't find
many reviews.

EDIT
Almost forgot, the Beach Boys Pet Sounds DVD-A is FANTASTIC.
It's almost like a whole new experience, without sounding too jazzed up
and fancified.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dougpt10
Foo Fighters is pretty good. Anyone have the Police or anything that is really good. I havn't heard anything come close to Linkin Parks as far as 5.1 sound yet!
I have "The Police" greatest hits (with a remix of "Do Do Do") and it's pretty good. I also have "Queensryche: Empire" and it kicks ass!
Old 06-29-2004, 04:54 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

I just put this in an old thread, but I'll stick it here as well

I've got something like 25 or more DVD-A's at the moment. Many of them mentioned here. I've also listened to others that I borrowed from friends. Without a doubt, nothing, and I mean nothing, I've heard yet can compare to Tipper-Surrounded IMHO. The disk has been referred to as Down Tempo and/or Chill Out music. I guess the guy is known more for his Techno/Backbeats style. This disk is a departure from his previous work, and used up over 700 hours of studio time to get right. Musically, it takes a little getting used. But over time, I’ve come to really like this disk. Out of the gate though, the 5.1 surround mix is fantastic.

This is an amazing disc, and I think really shows off what DVD-A and 5.1 surround can accomplish if done right. This disk was conceived from the get go as a 5.1 surround disk. Unlike many others that started as a 2 track, and were then remixed for added depth, image, sound field and separation. This disk is so much more than taking a background vocal, or wood block and moving it to the rear channel.

I highly suggest going to This Amazon.com link and listening to a few of the samples to see if you can live with the type of music. But if you have an open mind, and enjoy all kinds of stuff, or if you're just looking for really good 5.1 recordings no matter what the material or genre, and are more interested in the mix and experience itself.

GET THIS DISK!!!

Here are a some reviews as well.

Tipper-Surrounded Review

Another Review

And yet another

Old 06-30-2004, 03:39 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I have over 60 Dvd-A's now including a couple of Neil Young's ("Harvest" and the recent "Greendale"). I am a Neil Young fan so I definitely wanted "Harvest". It is a mediocre Dvd-A recording with some leads coming from the rear. Kinda strange, but then again, so is Nei! I like "Greendale's" surround remix much better. Most of the leads are front and center with some surround frills as this is a musical novel arrangement. I like it when backup vocals are in the back and this has that on some songs.

I found these Neil reviews from high-fidelity.
Greendale: http://www.highfidelityreview.com/re...umber=17099014
On the Beach: http://www.highfidelityreview.com/re...umber=14010029
Old 06-30-2004, 04:08 PM
Advanced

Just got the Police "Every Breath You Take". Listed as a DVD-A when you purchase it online. Came packaged as a 5.1 disk. I am certainly new to this technology but love the Police and was hoping to be amazed. The effects are fairly weak and I am not sure that 5.1 and DVDA are the same animal. The two DVDA's I use as reference are Elton John "Goodbye YBR" and Blue Man Group which are both amazing.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:18 PM
Intermediate

Really? I had "One by One" and didn't like it at all. It was very similar in mixing and staging to the CD version, which I already own, so I sold it back (only lost $5!). One DVD-A that I have that I have not seen mentioned yet is Queen's "Night at the Opera." It is worth the $15 just to hear Bohemian Rhapsody in surround! The voice staging is absolutely phenomenal. I also have:

Led Zeppelin - live set (I forgot the name) - this one is okay. Basically, it is a surround concert, so it sounds like you're there.
Ryan Adams - Gold - pretty good, it has very mild rear channel affects, but the tracks are deep enough to put something on each channel
Eric Clapton & BB King - Riding With the King - another excellent disc. Dualing guitars coming out of every channel on this one. Highly recommended.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
I'm probably going to buy a TL in the next few weeks. This post may be the best sales pitch yet. There are a couple of albums mentioned that I bought when they came out as LP's (including the Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" that I bought over 35 years ago!).

This ought to be a "sticky post" for future reference. Thanks for posting.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:48 PM
Advanced

Neil Young "Harvest"

The previous poster is right about Harvest. I just bought it and am
very disappointed. It just sounds.....wrong. Far too much activity
in the rears, the echoey effect isn't needed, and the balance just
didn't work. I'd like to see a complete reworking of this mix, as I'm
sure the material really *could* benefit from a better 5.1 mix; nothing
fancy, just improved resolution and a correct balance for the instruments.
And to the poster who told us about Tipper Surrounded THANK YOU.
THIS is a great disc. I enjoy this genre of electronic music very much
and the mix on this disc is quite good!
Old 06-30-2004, 11:50 PM
USC YQUE

Originally Posted by Nodoze2004
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi and the battle of the pink robots
Beck - Sea Change

Two great discs, both of which are 5.1 mixed by (you guessed it) Elliot Scheiner

Both HIGHLY recommended!!!!

Yes! Both CD's are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!