7.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

DVD-R or DVD+R?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 12:35 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD-R or DVD+R?

Hi - I just bought a 50 pack of HP DVD-R's from Staples ($14.95 until 6/3). But then I noticed Acura states the audio system will NOT play -R's, even though I have been reading threads where people prefer them to the +R's.

Please help. Should I exchange for HP DVD+R's?

Thanks in advance,
m
Old 06-03-2006, 02:23 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

-R's should work just fine. It is the +R that most have trouble with. +R DVD-DL may be an exception although they do work for some people including myself.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:43 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by mmforever
But then I noticed Acura states the audio system will NOT play -R's
Crap, that means all the disks I burned and play successfully in my car must be DVD+Rs that are secretly pretending to be -Rs. In fact they are so good at pretending to be -Rs that they fooled my -R only burner as well. (J/K)

Seriously I triggle is right. He gets +R to work but the vast majority of people have best success with -R media. In fact, the TL will play piece-o-sh&t -R media that none of my DVD video players will read.

Keep what you bought.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:51 PM
10th Gear

I have used Adobe's tools and Ulead Burn now to successfully burn 6 DVD-R and hey play awsum on my 06 TL :-). I bought the memorex 4.7 GB from CompUsa. They work. Try Converting all mp3 to wav using the GUI tool from Adobe and use Ulead Burn Now 2.0 with patches to burn the image. It works like a charm. you can also convert the mp3 to wav using Acoustica mp3 to wav convertor.

The best article to burn DVD-A is below

http://www.tape.com/techinfo/dvd_audio.html

You can use Nero Player to play DVD-A. It will recognize all DVD-A with surround sound.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:53 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

Zobie, that link points to info which is really outdated. Our forum has some of the best info available.

Thanks for the tip about Nero Player it is good to know we don't need to use PowerDVD to decode our disks.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=dvda
Old 06-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for all your advice. This is the best sight for technical stuff... but that only makes sense since TL owners are highly intelligent.

Thanks again and glad I don't have do an exchange,
m
Old 07-28-2006, 12:37 AM
Cruisin'

I took my brand spanking new 2006 TL with less than 300 miles on it to Circuit City to install my USPEC-thing-bop so that I can I can have AUX in and IPOD accessory incase I buy one later on... They ripped my TL apart... And every plastic bending, cracking noise caused arrhythmias as I paced back and forth while they violated my baby... After 3 hours of palpitations and diaphoresis, my TL was able to play my mp3 player without the hiss that my cheap Ebay radio frequency adapter creates. My dash went through a slight spasm after the torture stating that my right front wheel needed more pressure. After 20 minutes, it went away and it told me that the pressure was 29PSI and everything was fine and dandy. All that heart wrenching just for one plug to be inserted into the back of the dashboard. I had initially wanted to install a dvd player in my TL so that I can utilize my 5.1 surround sound system on my TL... I mean, really. What else can I use it for? CDs and MP3s use only 2 channels. And the stinking DVD-A format is so freaking rare that only thing you'll find for them are classical music and bits and pieces of artists. I can only listen to SEAL and Simple Plan....the only two artists I know in my demo DVD-A disc!!! I wanted to atleast be able to watch DVD in 5.1 surround sound, dang it... but after today's 3 hour endeavor...where all I did was pace and sweat, I realized, I would die if I saw my baby TL go through DVD player installation where you have to wire all the speakers to make it 5.1.... That is a scary thought. I don't understand how you guys who modded your TLs did it. Now, my only hope of utilizing my 5.1 speakers is to rip DVDs or make DVD-A out of my mp3s some how.... IT's going to take years before Linkin Park or My Chemical Romance make DVD-A. (The one DVD-A from Linkin Park is supposed to be more ....yuck....rap.....heepity and Hoppity....no emotion brainless mix. I'm sorry but I prefer to listen to pure insane screaming emotions in 2 channels, thank you very much. Anyway, I burned like 4 DVD-As using All-Knowing Adobeman's DVD-A creator...but they all cause my TL to say "Disc Disc" and spit it back out at me. Absolute sadness. Of course, all my 4 DVD-A were four different types of DVD +Rs. I bought DVD+R because I'm a positive person... But that isn't the best criteria for choosing a media it seems. My Xbox likes DVD+Rs, atleast the ones I have. My daughter likes my DVD+Rs. Not my TL it seems. Every member of my family has different tastes it seems. Let me know what specific brands of DVD -Rs work better or for sure. I'm tired of making coasters.

Oh, let me know if you found a better way to utilize the 5.1 sound system too...
I may just have to set up a sound system in my home, instead of in my beloved TL....
Old 09-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Cruisin'

Thumbs up Yup, DVD-R is better than DVD+R

Originally Posted by mmforever
Hi - I just bought a 50 pack of HP DVD-R's from Staples ($14.95 until 6/3). But then I noticed Acura states the audio system will NOT play -R's, even though I have been reading threads where people prefer them to the +R's.
Funny coincidence, I bought the stack for DVD-R's today from Staples (50 for $12.98) but I was not sure which format ran better so I bought a similar stack of 50 DVD+R's for the same price.

I then compsed a DVD-Audio disk using a small stack of CD's and Cirlinga DVD-Audio Solo http://www.cirlinca.com/ to make an ISO image. I then burnt that image onto a both DVD-R and a DVD+R.

DVD-R: it read the disk. Only problem is the first six tracks are cut short to a few seconds. There were a couple of times when it would not recognize the disk, but persistance was rewarded with a fine playback.

DVD+R: when burning the disk I verified the contents of the disk and I know there are no disk problem. This disk the Acura TL will not even recognize as a disk. When you select the disk it ignominiously switches to radio (you would think a simple message saying "can't read disk" would suffice.)

So, my conclusion: DVD-R seems to work some of the time.

-Keith, '06 Anthrocite AT with parchment
Old 09-05-2006, 08:48 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVD+R is best for video. DVD-R is best for data. Music is data.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:41 AM
now with four rings

like the majority on here, dvd-r works flawlessly for me...i burned my first true dvd-audio disc yesterday (i've burned dvd-audio discs before, but they weren't 6 channel wav files)...first i burned it to a maxell dvd+r and it didn't recognize it...then i burned it to a tdk dvd-r and it plays just fine...hits a little harder too (i guess that's because it's 6 channels now... )...anyways, dvd-r has always been more reliable than +r, so i would go w/ that...
Old 09-05-2006, 10:05 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ilpark
...... Let me know what specific brands of DVD -Rs work better or for sure. I'm tired of making coasters.
I've had success with Ritek, TDK, Verbatum and Memorex media (DVD-R).
Old 09-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Cruisin'

Not Quite "Flawlessly"

Originally Posted by rimz
like the majority on here, dvd-r works flawlessly for me...
I burnt my second DVD-Audio yesterday -- a copy of the Eagles Hell Freezes Over Tour DVD which has a DTS soundtrack. See elsewhere a description of how to do this. I burned the DVD-R disk slowly, at 4X instead of the 8X max my burner will do, and I verified the entire disk so that I am sure that there are no flaws in the media.

In the car, the music sounds absolutely great, except for track 9, which plays for about 12 seconds and then skips to the next track. The source .WAV file is not short, so this must be an inability of the player to read the DVD-R media.

My next experiment will be to burn the same ISO image onto another DVD-R, make sure it verifies correctly, and then see if there is the same behavior. I am still looking for a reliable solution.

This is a "Staples" brand disk, by the way, if that makes any difference. Maybe I will try an expensive one and see if that makes any difference.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:50 PM
now with four rings

well, flawlessly for me so far...i don't trust those compusa, staples, etc. brand blank discs...i only use sony and tdk, unless i have some free ones laying around (like the maxell i mentioned up above)...here's my method to burning dvd-a discs:

on mac os x:
1. pick mp3's to use on disc and convert to wav format using switch

on windows:

2. add wav files to dvd audio solo

3. write iso image file to hard drive

on mac os x:

4. burn iso file using toast to dvd-r disc (dvd+r won't work)

my primary computer is a mac, so if you're strictly pc, you'll have to substitute some of my steps to suit your needs...

anyways, i put 80 tracks on my dvd-a disc, though i could've put well over 100...i was just anxious to play it in the car....
Old 09-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Cruisin'

That does the trick

Originally Posted by rimz
well, flawlessly for me so far...i don't trust those compusa, staples, etc. brand blank discs...i only use sony and tdk, ...
OK, that is it. I went and got a pack of Sony 16x DVD-R. $1.29 per disk but well worth it. I burned the same ISO images on two disks. I have been listening to them all day without a single glitch.

I am in the software industry and so I tend to think that a bit is a bit when it comes to digital media, but I was penny wise, pound foolish. The Staples disks were labeled as 8x disks. When I recorded I got number of errors and had to throw out half of them. They were only $0.26 each, but ultimately they had problems playing in the car. I burned a few more and continued to have random problem. When I put the Sony disks in the drive, it somehow these disks are different and it recognizes that they are 16x disks. From experience so far this makes all the difference, at least as far as playing "flawlessly" in drives that were not designed for recordable DVD media.

Thanks, everyone, for the tips,

-Keith
Old 09-06-2006, 11:02 PM
now with four rings

keith, i'm glad everything worked out for you...you'll notice a huge difference in quality (and less cd coasters) from using the sony discs...believe me, paying the extra few dollars will save you a lot of stress and headaches...just for future reference, check out this blank dvd media quality guide...first read the brand vs. media id paragraphs...then download one of the free identifier utilities following that section if you want...finally, take a look at the 1st class media list...you'll notice both sony and tdk are listed there... ...and from now on when you burn a dvd, stick with dvd-r -- i swear you'll have fewer problems with that format compared to dvd+r...
Old 01-15-2008, 12:25 PM
Advanced

anyway Im planning to burn DVD+R audio right now. it will work on my 2005 TL right?
Old 02-03-2008, 01:38 PM
NPB TL FTW

Originally Posted by dhkkim
anyway Im planning to burn DVD+R audio right now. it will work on my 2005 TL right?
any news?
Old 03-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Cruisin'

If you use DVD+R disks, make sure your DVD burner supports bitsetting the DVD+R disks to DVD-ROM. Programs like ImgBurn used to burn ISO images will then automatically do the bitsetting for you on the DVD+R discs.

I only use DVD+R disks and they work great in my car (2007 RDX)

Here's a link with some info on bitsetting for people not familiar with it ...
http://www.k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
Old 03-24-2008, 11:06 PM
08' WDP Type S

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Can you actually buy DVD-audio in the music section of stores anymore? Isn't the format dead? And ifyou are burning DVD-A disks....wouldn't you need a DVD-A quality rip of it?
Old 03-25-2008, 01:29 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
DVD-R is the older format, so that's why it's the most compatible. Most newer players will play the DVD+R with no problem though.

For set-top, I have the OPPO "OPDV971H"! It will play anything you throw at it!! Burned or otherwise!