DVD Conversion Install Complete in Lower Compartment Below Radio - Pictures Included!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bloodylankan
so any idea where to grab the PIE x3??
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piex3auxconv.html
Old 12-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by darksom1
Man, I really love this install! I am dying to do this. I just have to get the parts first. I took the info from the thread down, and sent you a couple (ok, 3) PMs slimmy! Holla back!
Just answered your PMs. Check your inbox
Old 12-08-2006, 11:07 PM
śïιέит вµт đέαđιý

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
aite..thanks now all i gotta do is order in all the parts and get it installed just like you slimmy...oh and about the P.I.E. X-3...i gotta basically get the this P.I.E. X-3 Multi-Source Auxiliary Input Converter X3 and the P.I.E. X3-HON03 X3 Wiring Harness for Acura right?
Old 12-08-2006, 11:29 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
aite..thanks now all i gotta do is order in all the parts and get it installed just like you slimmy...oh and about the P.I.E. X-3...i gotta basically get the this P.I.E. X-3 Multi-Source Auxiliary Input Converter X3 and the P.I.E. X3-HON03 X3 Wiring Harness for Acura right?
Like P. Diddy would say: "That's right"!
Old 12-09-2006, 07:17 AM
śïιέит вµт đέαđιý

alrite then...now i can start odering
Old 12-11-2006, 09:28 AM
Pro

Yep
Old 12-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 626 Likes on 277 Posts
saved by the bell FTW!
Old 12-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a crazy-long topic, but what the heck, I'll jump in here now -- perhaps a little late.

I'm thinking about doing this modification to my '06 TL {here she is}. White pearl with ebony interior; automatic; navi; sport package...

My biggest hang-up I have with this modification -- and it's a small hang-up at that -- is the installation of the toggle switch. Now, the author of this thread had a fantastic job done on his installation, and if I were to go with the toggle switch method I would definitely follow something along those lines as far as where the toggle is installed and the style of the switch itself.

After some research, I've found some information that leads me to believe that this modification is possible without the use of the toggle switch. What I've found is that you can buy a DVD player equipped with what is called a "12V trigger," which apparently takes the toggles switch's place. I'm not sure how it does it, but apparently it does. I've only been able to find one manufacturer of such a DVD player, called Farenheit. I've never heard of this brand. To be honest with you, I'd never heard of Myron and Davis before this thread either. At any rate, if this method of modification looks to be legit, I'll probably just go this route. I was wondering if anyone had any input regarding doing it this way -- with the 12V trigger.

Again, props to the author for this fantastic thread and pictures. I'm just looking to do it a slightly different way.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:34 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by brettallica
This is a crazy-long topic, but what the heck, I'll jump in here now -- perhaps a little late.

I'm thinking about doing this modification to my '06 TL {here she is}. White pearl with ebony interior; automatic; navi; sport package...

My biggest hang-up I have with this modification -- and it's a small hang-up at that -- is the installation of the toggle switch. Now, the author of this thread had a fantastic job done on his installation, and if I were to go with the toggle switch method I would definitely follow something along those lines as far as where the toggle is installed and the style of the switch itself.

After some research, I've found some information that leads me to believe that this modification is possible without the use of the toggle switch. What I've found is that you can buy a DVD player equipped with what is called a "12V trigger," which apparently takes the toggles switch's place. I'm not sure how it does it, but apparently it does. I've only been able to find one manufacturer of such a DVD player, called Farenheit. I've never heard of this brand. To be honest with you, I'd never heard of Myron and Davis before this thread either. At any rate, if this method of modification looks to be legit, I'll probably just go this route. I was wondering if anyone had any input regarding doing it this way -- with the 12V trigger.

Again, props to the author for this fantastic thread and pictures. I'm just looking to do it a slightly different way.
This is one of my older threads and since I put it up, I actually changed out my toggle switch for DCC's DVD switch. It looks MUCH better and unbelievable. Looks like it straight up came out of the factory. I think if you see it, you'll wanna go that route
Old 12-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Originally Posted by slimmyjimmy
This is one of my older threads and since I put it up, I actually changed out my toggle switch for DCC's DVD switch. It looks MUCH better and unbelievable. Looks like it straight up came out of the factory. I think if you see it, you'll wanna go that route
Nice. OK, so if you don't mind me asking, what exactly is a DVD switch? ... and which head unit are you using for your DVD player? Are you still using your Myron and Davis as seen in the original pictures?
Old 12-12-2006, 10:43 PM
Pro

Nice. OK, so if you don't mind me asking, what exactly is a DVD switch? ... and which head unit are you using for your DVD player? Are you still using your Myron and Davis as seen in the original pictures?
Not a problem. A DVD switch just changes the Nav screen from Navigation mode to the DVD player. I am still using the same head unit in the original picture which is the Myron & Davis AD212.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:40 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

I don't think DCC is making these anymore. I think he said it's too time consuming because of his "real" work. If I'm wrong, hook me up with one Jimmy! I am still going to get mine done after New Year's!!
Old 12-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Not a problem. A DVD switch just changes the Nav screen from Navigation mode to the DVD player. I am still using the same head unit in the original picture which is the Myron & Davis AD212.
Sweet. All right, thanks. So is this a switch that works automatically when you activate the power on the DVD player, or does it still have the human intervention property of a toggle switch? (i.e. do you still manually need to move the rocker with your hand?)

...and yet another question...

What do you (or anyone else) think about the brand "Farenheit"? Is that like major cheapo brand or what? Ideally, I'd get an Alpine, Sony, or something like that, but it's hard to find the 3/4 din or 1/2 din DVD standalones in what I consider to be a name brand. I don't really put Farenheit up there in that class, but I'd like to be proven wrong with some specs or whatever. In fact, if anyone can find me a nice DVD player in 1/2 or 3/4 din size, I'd be pretty stoked.

Oh yeah, and one more thing. What do you think about the Myron and Davis AD215? it seems to have similar specs as the AD212, with probably just a few enhancements (such as a USB port).

Thanks to all.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:21 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
I'll help answer some of your questions.

slimmyjimmy, like many others on here, is using Dom's TVandNav2Go video module. It can be found on this forum on sale in the Sponsored Sales & Group Buys forum.

This module allows two video inputs. Here is how most people are using it: One video source automatically switches on when there is power (backup camera tapped to backup light) and the other switches on with a manual switch (DVD player). There are ways to modify this and it is quite possible to use the automatic switch to sense when your DVD player has power.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:52 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by datmrman
I'll help answer some of your questions.

slimmyjimmy, like many others on here, is using Dom's TVandNav2Go video module. It can be found on this forum on sale in the Sponsored Sales & Group Buys forum.

This module allows two video inputs. Here is how most people are using it: One video source automatically switches on when there is power (backup camera tapped to backup light) and the other switches on with a manual switch (DVD player). There are ways to modify this and it is quite possible to use the automatic switch to sense when your DVD player has power.

Thank you for that explanation. Does TVandNav2Go sell something that would make it so both the backup camera and DVD player are on an auto-sensor? I guess that's the best of both worlds, and definitely something I'd prefer. One main reason I'm asking is because I'll probably be getting the DVD player installed first, then adding the camera at a later date. I could "live" with a switch for the DVD player, but want to avoid it if possible.

....and we still have the issue of the 12V trigger that some DVD units utilize. Not sure if anyone has one of those types of DVD players installed. I'm interested in that method.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Pro

Thank you for that explanation. Does TVandNav2Go sell something that would make it so both the backup camera and DVD player are on an auto-sensor? I guess that's the best of both worlds, and definitely something I'd prefer. One main reason I'm asking is because I'll probably be getting the DVD player installed first, then adding the camera at a later date. I could "live" with a switch for the DVD player, but want to avoid it if possible.

....and we still have the issue of the 12V trigger that some DVD units utilize. Not sure if anyone has one of those types of DVD players installed. I'm interested in that method.
I haven't heard of anything with an auto-sensor for Dom's Nav conversion unit. I think that's a little too complex for the simplicity and functionality of Dom's unit.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Godfather of Chrome

I haven't heard of anything with an auto-sensor for Dom's Nav conversion unit. I think that's a little too complex for the simplicity and functionality of Dom's unit.
So then I guess that means we're stuck with having to use a switch for the DVD player to be viewed? I suppose that's acceptable, as long as the back-up cam comes on automatically. Like I said, though: ideally, both would be automatic.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Pro

So then I guess that means we're stuck with having to use a switch for the DVD player to be viewed? I suppose that's acceptable, as long as the back-up cam comes on automatically. Like I said, though: ideally, both would be automatic.
Yeh, some sort of switch is necessary to go back and forth between DVD and Nav.

The backup camera does come on automatically when the car is put into reverse as long as it's wired that way.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:16 AM
Trucki!!

I don't mind the switch, I don't watch video all that much so the 3 times a month I have to "flip" a switch I'm fine with.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:08 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by lembowski
I don't mind the switch, I don't watch video all that much so the 3 times a month I have to "flip" a switch I'm fine with.
Yeh, some sort of switch is necessary to go back and forth between DVD and Nav.

The backup camera does come on automatically when the car is put into reverse as long as it's wired that way.
Interesting. Well then, it looks like I'll be fitting in with the Jones and just settling for having to flip a switch. Lembowski, you bring up a good point in that it's not like you watch a ton of DVDs in your car anyway; flipping a switch probably isn't as big of a deal as I'm making it out to be. My big thing is that I just don't want to add a switch anywhere in my car. Oh well...

So I've done a lot of research on 1/2 and 3/4 din in-dash DVD players. I've been able to find a couple that aren't that bad looking, both in looks and in name-brand appeal.

Soundstream VDVD-200
Boss Audio DVD-4000B

I think both of those would look sweet in a TL. Then, I'm thinking about putting in a 1/2 (or custom) din cubby hole type shelf either above or below the player itself.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:05 AM
Pro

Interesting. Well then, it looks like I'll be fitting in with the Jones and just settling for having to flip a switch. Lembowski, you bring up a good point in that it's not like you watch a ton of DVDs in your car anyway; flipping a switch probably isn't as big of a deal as I'm making it out to be. My big thing is that I just don't want to add a switch anywhere in my car. Oh well...

So I've done a lot of research on 1/2 and 3/4 din in-dash DVD players. I've been able to find a couple that aren't that bad looking, both in looks and in name-brand appeal.

Soundstream VDVD-200
Boss Audio DVD-4000B

I think both of those would look sweet in a TL. Then, I'm thinking about putting in a 1/2 (or custom) din cubby hole type shelf either above or below the player itself.
I would seriously recommend getting DCC's DVD switch. It looks unbelievable. It goes in the blank space next to the VSA and heated mirror buttons. It looks just like it came from Acura. You can check out pics of his switch on his thread below:

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/so-im-hong-kong-136886/
Old 12-15-2006, 08:26 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

I would seriously recommend getting DCC's DVD switch. It looks unbelievable. It goes in the blank space next to the VSA and heated mirror buttons. It looks just like it came from Acura. You can check out pics of his switch on his thread below:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136886
He said he wasn't making those anymore because of lack of time. At least not when I PM'd him. Has that changed?
Old 12-15-2006, 08:31 AM
Intermediate

Soundstream VDVD-200

I like this Correct me if I am wrong but is this not too wide to install in the center console. I would like to see a picture of this dvd player in a car.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:33 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by darksom1
He said he wasn't making those anymore because of lack of time. At least not when I PM'd him. Has that changed?
Really? I didn't know that he stopped making them. I got mine from him not too long ago. I guess it was pretty recent that he decided this.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:03 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by falkien
Soundstream VDVD-200

I like this Correct me if I am wrong but is this not too wide to install in the center console. I would like to see a picture of this dvd player in a car.
I'm not 100% positive on that yet. You could very well be right. I'll have my installation guys do the research on that! Actually, I'll do my fair share of research -- as well as getting opinions from the group -- before making any final decisions. These are just options. I'm trying to keep it as high-end as possible, and those are the best two units I've found. I sitll might end up going with Myron & Davis, too, so we'll see.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Godfather of Chrome

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136886
I agree: that switch is unbelievable. If he's still making those, I'd definitely go that route. I'll have to PM him and see what he says.

My other idea was to use the same switch you have, but then adding an official DVD Video logo to the button. I work at a place that has all kinds of sweet printers that could easily print this logo onto transparent sticker paper, and I'm not too shabby with a hobby knife. The only thing I'd be missing is that it wouldn't be backlit.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Pro

I agree: that switch is unbelievable. If he's still making those, I'd definitely go that route. I'll have to PM him and see what he says.

My other idea was to use the same switch you have, but then adding an official DVD Video logo to the button. I work at a place that has all kinds of sweet printers that could easily print this logo onto transparent sticker paper, and I'm not too shabby with a hobby knife. The only thing I'd be missing is that it wouldn't be backlit.
That's not a bad idea either. I would still go with DCC's switch if I had the option. haha....sounds like I'm trying to sell it but it really is unbelievably sweet
Old 12-15-2006, 08:07 PM
Godfather of Chrome

That's not a bad idea either. I would still go with DCC's switch if I had the option. haha....sounds like I'm trying to sell it but it really is unbelievably sweet
You need not sell that switch any further. The pictures already did that for me the moment I saw it. I'm just not sure he's interested in making a switch for me (e-mailed him this morning), which is OK. I might have a few other tricks up my sleeve, but for now I think I'm just preparing myself to use that regular rocker or toggle type switch from Radio Shack.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:52 PM
Pro

You need not sell that switch any further. The pictures already did that for me the moment I saw it. I'm just not sure he's interested in making a switch for me (e-mailed him this morning), which is OK. I might have a few other tricks up my sleeve, but for now I think I'm just preparing myself to use that regular rocker or toggle type switch from Radio Shack.
The rocker switch really is a good bet too. It looks really clean as well.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:16 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Do you (or does anyone) know the maximum mounting width for a DVD unit for our TLs? I'm talking, of course, about the horizontal dimension from left to right or right to left that is on the inside of the center dash console below the navi screen. The maximum visible opening is about 6 1/4", so my guess is that the maximum on the insde -- behind the paneling and with the cubby removed -- is in the ballpark of 7".
Old 12-20-2006, 07:01 AM
'06 NBP : 6MT : NAVI

Do you (or does anyone) know the maximum mounting width for a DVD unit for our TLs? I'm talking, of course, about the horizontal dimension from left to right or right to left that is on the inside of the center dash console below the navi screen. The maximum visible opening is about 6 1/4", so my guess is that the maximum on the insde -- behind the paneling and with the cubby removed -- is in the ballpark of 7".
Take a look at my thread HERE.
I put in a 1/2 din dvd player in the center console below the navi screen. There is enough room for 7" of width, but it will require a decent amount of cutting behind the scenes.
Let me know if you have any questions and good luck.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:16 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by met152
Take a look at my thread HERE.
I put in a 1/2 din dvd player in the center console below the navi screen. There is enough room for 7" of width, but it will require a decent amount of cutting behind the scenes.
Let me know if you have any questions and good luck.
Wow. Now that is some extensive work you did there to make that fit. Nice going. So did I look at those images correctly and see that you cut out one side of the plastic tray to account for the offset of the slot-loader? Also, It looks like you set the unit back quite a bit, so that the door still works. Are those accurate assessments? That Power Acoustik unit is one I'd been eying for a while. I'm also thinking about the other ones that I posted above this post, both half-din units.

Correction: I did see that the door still closes in one of the pictures toward the end of the gallery.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:21 AM
Pro

Wow. Now that is some extensive work you did there to make that fit. Nice going. So did I look at those images correctly and see that you cut out one side of the plastic tray to account for the offset of the slot-loader? Also, It looks like you set the unit back quite a bit, so that the door still works. Are those accurate assessments? That Power Acoustik unit is one I'd been eying for a while. I'm also thinking about the other ones that I posted above this post, both half-din units.

Correction: I did see that the door still closes in one of the pictures toward the end of the gallery.
I really like the work that met did to make his DVD player fit in the compartment. JMB Nova also was able to do the same thing with the Myron & Davis DVD player. It definitely requires more time and work but if done right, it looks amazing.

I personally was okay with just having the DVD player take the place of the compartment but it's your preference
Old 12-20-2006, 10:42 AM
Godfather of Chrome

I really like the work that met did to make his DVD player fit in the compartment. JMB Nova also was able to do the same thing with the Myron & Davis DVD player. It definitely requires more time and work but if done right, it looks amazing.

I personally was okay with just having the DVD player take the place of the compartment but it's your preference
I'm also OK with that. I'm leaning a little more toward the M & D player that you have, but I'm exploring my options and making sure I'm not using tunnel vision. I really just want to know what's out there.

It's nice to have the support of (I'm assuming) thousands of members who have been through all this stuff before.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:00 PM
Pro

I'm also OK with that. I'm leaning a little more toward the M & D player that you have, but I'm exploring my options and making sure I'm not using tunnel vision. I really just want to know what's out there.

It's nice to have the support of (I'm assuming) thousands of members who have been through all this stuff before.
I love the Myron & Davis. It fits perfectly with the car too and makes it look stock. But I'm sure there are also a good number of other options out there. If you wanna be different and more unique, I would definitely check them out
Old 12-28-2006, 02:57 PM
'06 NBP : 6MT : NAVI

Yeah, it took patience mostly to get it to fit properly.
You saw the pictures correctly, I did have to cut out the one side of the plastic tray to get the player to fit, but it wasn't really to account for the offset of the slot-loader.

I knew that the main mechanism for the door hinge was to the left side (drivers side) of the door and that I wouldn't be able to alter that part and still have the door close. I selected the Power Acoustik model because it allowed me to offset the player, therefore not requiring me to alter the left hinge (at least not significantly), but still allowing the dvd slot to be centered.

If you look at the folks who installed the Myron and davis, you'll see that the player is offset slightly, and there is very little clearance for the cd/dvd to be inserted.
With the 1/2 din, I was able to center the slot almost perfectly, keep the stock door, and give it a very stock look.

The player was not set back all that far. It was the closest forward I could put it with still allowing the door to close.
I say "was" because I sold the dvd player setup to a member here. I went with a custom carpc install, for which i've been too lazy to put up the install pictures.

Maybe sometime soon if there is any interest
Old 01-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by met152
Yeah, it took patience mostly to get it to fit properly.
You saw the pictures correctly, I did have to cut out the one side of the plastic tray to get the player to fit, but it wasn't really to account for the offset of the slot-loader.

I knew that the main mechanism for the door hinge was to the left side (drivers side) of the door and that I wouldn't be able to alter that part and still have the door close. I selected the Power Acoustik model because it allowed me to offset the player, therefore not requiring me to alter the left hinge (at least not significantly), but still allowing the dvd slot to be centered.

If you look at the folks who installed the Myron and davis, you'll see that the player is offset slightly, and there is very little clearance for the cd/dvd to be inserted.
With the 1/2 din, I was able to center the slot almost perfectly, keep the stock door, and give it a very stock look.

The player was not set back all that far. It was the closest forward I could put it with still allowing the door to close.
I say "was" because I sold the dvd player setup to a member here. I went with a custom carpc install, for which i've been too lazy to put up the install pictures.

Maybe sometime soon if there is any interest
I saw these install pics. It was shortly after I got mine installed and they were definitely really sweet. Kinda made me wish that I got that route when I did the install too. I just really didn't think it was possible to keep the compartment door there.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Advanced

quick question and dont want to sound dumb, i did a quick search and nothing came up, if you have the rear back up camera from the factory, like the 07's do with navi, can this be tapped into to install the dvd player? just wondering

thanks
Old 01-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SANS-TLS
quick question and dont want to sound dumb, i did a quick search and nothing came up, if you have the rear back up camera from the factory, like the 07's do with navi, can this be tapped into to install the dvd player? just wondering

thanks
Good question. The backup camera on the 07's should definitely be feeding off of some sort of video conversion unit in order to send the backup camera image to the Nav. Maybe there's a way to tap into that Acura conversion unit to install the DVD player.

Anyone know for certain?
Old 01-03-2007, 08:20 PM
8th Gear

does anyone know where to get my camera and dvd player and doms converter installed in south florida....im in orlando but im from south florida...last time i tired some guy in pembroke pines broke my camera ...so i need someone that has done.

Quick Reply: DVD Conversion Install Complete in Lower Compartment Below Radio - Pictures Included!