DVD Conversion Install Complete in Lower Compartment Below Radio - Pictures Included!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 06:54 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DCC, Thanks for warning me! I'll definitely test it out before I close everything up
Old 06-30-2006, 01:47 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zax123
jimmy,

I received my AD212 and I'm in the process of rigging it into that upper compartment... I was just wondering if by any chance your installer took some pics of how he anchored it in there. I have a couple ideas but I'd be curious to know how someone else did it.

Thanks!

Rob
Hey Rob,

Sorry bro but I actually don't have any pics from my installer when he anchored the DVD player in there. I guess I should've requested that but it completely slipped my mind to do so. Sorry about that
Old 06-30-2006, 01:48 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by DCC
rOB,

MAKE SURE TO TEST OUT YOUR PLAYER BEFORE YOU MOUNT IT. SOME PEOPLE HAVE BEEN HAVING ISSUES WITH THE PLAYER AND I'D HATE TO SEE YOU INSTALL IT AND IT NOT WORK. I KNOW SLIMMYJIMMY AND MYSELF HAVE HAD SUCCESS AND NO PROBLEMS WITH IT, BUT THERE SEEMS TO BE SOME UNITS FLOATING AROUND WITH MECHANICAL PROBLEMS. I DID A LITTLE RESEARCH AND I THINK THIS IS THE FIRST 3/4 DIN PLAYER M&D HAVE PUT OUT...SO THERE'S BOUND TO BE SOME 'BUGS' WITH THEM. JUST A WORD OF PRECAUTION.
True. I've heard this too although like DCC was saying, I've had no issues with the DVD player at all so far. Hopefully nothing fishy happens later!
Old 06-30-2006, 11:46 AM
10th Gear

Hey! For all you guys here in the Nor Cal area, I found an installer that rocks! He's actually putting mine in as I type this, so I will have to post some pics up after its done. Just a question for you though Jimmy - with the install, did you have to forfeit the CD changer in order to hook the DVD player up?

Installer Info:
Rolling Audio
2101-B Arden Way
Sacramento CA 95825
www.rollingaudio.com
Old 07-01-2006, 12:59 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Biddy311
Hey! For all you guys here in the Nor Cal area, I found an installer that rocks! He's actually putting mine in as I type this, so I will have to post some pics up after its done. Just a question for you though Jimmy - with the install, did you have to forfeit the CD changer in order to hook the DVD player up?

Installer Info:
Rolling Audio
2101-B Arden Way
Sacramento CA 95825
www.rollingaudio.com
Nope! The CD changer still works perfectly
Old 07-01-2006, 09:44 AM
10th Gear

iPod question

Alright. Mine works just fine too. He just asked about it before, so I thought I'd post it. He hooked up my iPod, but for some reason I cant change the song on the iPod itself. Is that how yours works. If not, any ideas?
Thanks!
Old 07-03-2006, 09:10 AM
Pro

Alright. Mine works just fine too. He just asked about it before, so I thought I'd post it. He hooked up my iPod, but for some reason I cant change the song on the iPod itself. Is that how yours works. If not, any ideas?
Thanks!
That most likely means you're not in Direct Mode with the USA Spec adapter. With the USA Spec adapter, you can put the iPod in two modes - Direct and Playlist. Direct Mode gives you full access to your iPod and you can even still use the steering wheel controls to control it. Playlist Mode locks your iPod and you can control the iPod with the steering wheel controls by navigating through the designated playlists.

I think all you'll need to do is to change the settings on your USA Spec adapter to go to Direct Mode if you want iPod access.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:43 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by slimmyjimmy
That most likely means you're not in Direct Mode with the USA Spec adapter. With the USA Spec adapter, you can put the iPod in two modes - Direct and Playlist. Direct Mode gives you full access to your iPod and you can even still use the steering wheel controls to control it. Playlist Mode locks your iPod and you can control the iPod with the steering wheel controls by navigating through the designated playlists.

I think all you'll need to do is to change the settings on your USA Spec adapter to go to Direct Mode if you want iPod access.

Hope that helps.

Thanks! That took care of the problem.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:50 PM
Pro

Thanks! That took care of the problem.
Cool
Old 07-04-2006, 05:21 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I did my install yesterday. Went quite well. Made some custom brackets to hold the AD212 in place. I'm still tinkering with the door. I might keep the whole front panel from the cubby hole, and find some ingenius way to have it open and slide on top of the DVD player when it use. That way, I keep the stock look as much as possible. That's all I have left. Functionally, it works great. Thanks again for the idea Jimmy!
Old 07-05-2006, 12:34 AM
Pro

I did my install yesterday. Went quite well. Made some custom brackets to hold the AD212 in place. I'm still tinkering with the door. I might keep the whole front panel from the cubby hole, and find some ingenius way to have it open and slide on top of the DVD player when it use. That way, I keep the stock look as much as possible. That's all I have left. Functionally, it works great. Thanks again for the idea Jimmy!
Sweet! Glad to hear it went well. Remember to post pictures
Old 07-05-2006, 02:33 PM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Very clean install............I loved the look of it in the TSX, but they have an actual 1DIN compartment, and you can keep the compartment cover as well.

Where were you able to find the DVD player so cheap? I looked around for one a few months back, and could only find it in the $250+ range.

Overall, that is the best location/installs I have seen so far.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by DeadLock
Very clean install............I loved the look of it in the TSX, but they have an actual 1DIN compartment, and you can keep the compartment cover as well.

Where were you able to find the DVD player so cheap? I looked around for one a few months back, and could only find it in the $250+ range.

Overall, that is the best location/installs I have seen so far.
I had to do some bargaining with the audio shop I bought the DVD player from. They were completely willing to work with me so you just need to pull their leg a little bit
Old 07-11-2006, 08:54 AM
Look Mean, Play Nice

zax, I also was on a mission to install an in-dash dvd player (where jimmy did) yet keep the stock door but alas after doing a few measurements, a lot of research and speaking with jimmy and jimmy's installer, it just doesn't seem possible to keep the door. So, if you can do it, please post it here!

Also, this is just an idea but maybe you could shave off the door and attach velcro to it and the dvd player to keep the stock look. Just an idea, Good luck.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:57 AM
Team Anthracite Member

So funny, I have the DVD player installed and the door just attached with twistie ties right now. Looks not bad... The door can't close completely. And I was thinking of doing something with velcro! I'm not quite sure what I'll do yet though... At least the player is solidly in place (I made some brackets out of wood and modified the brackets the player came with), and it it works great.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:47 AM
Pro

Remember to post pics!

I can't wait to see how others are going about doing the same install
Old 07-13-2006, 11:54 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slimmyjimmy
Remember to post pics!

I can't wait to see how others are going about doing the same install
Here ya go... My twist on the installation....
https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/driving-test-140501/
Old 07-18-2006, 06:11 AM
'06 NBP : 6MT : NAVI

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
will this one fit?

Nice install jmbnova! I think this is the ideal way to install the dvd player. so much cleaner with the door still on there. I'm sure that metal crossbar wasn't good for much anyway.

Does anyone think this dvd player will fit? It's not quite a full din.
http://www.carelectronicsworld.com/i...ROD&ProdID=166
The only thing I'm worried about is the height. Is 1.75" too tall?
I'll probably try to install it keeping the stock door on there. The other bonus, is that this one has a tv tuner built in. Now I know reception usually sucks, but oh well.
How is accelevision as an electronics brand? I don't know anything about them.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-18-2006, 06:51 AM
How may I help you.....?

met152

I will just tell you that the M&D AD212 is a 3/4 din player and it just barely fits. If you want to mount it in the console, without the door covering it, it should fit. Without the door there is a decent amount of space above the player once it is in, so the extra height on this one should be ok.

If you want to install it behind the console door, I think it might have some problems. First, with the pocket still in place, you loose most of the extra space above the player. There is maybe 6-8 mm of space left over... Width wise I think will also be a problem. In order to keep the console door functional, the player is 'offset' to the right (as you look at it). The mechanics that hold the door open are on the left side of the door. As it is, the DVDs in my car barely fit out of the door.

The player you are talking about (according to the website) says that it is an 'under-the-seat' application... You may want to keep looking for smaller players (3/4 din size) before you start cutting that console pocket up... Just my

Good luck with whatever you want to do... let me know if I can help in anyway...
Old 07-18-2006, 10:26 AM
'06 NBP : 6MT : NAVI

jmbnova,
Is there room to cut out the bottom plastic of the top compartment so that the dvd player can be dropped down a little bit? I'm guessing that you'd lose support and have to make some custom brackets to hold it in then, but it might give just enough space to squeeze a taller player in there.
maybe I just need to take apart my dash and do some measuring before I order anything. I love the idea of keeping the stock door, but I don't like how the player is offset so that the discs barely fit. There might not be anyway around this, but I'd sure like to try.
A half-din dvd player would be perfect, but all of the ones that I have come across are 7" wide, nothing smaller. Even with cutting, I don't know if there would be enough room.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:30 AM
How may I help you.....?

Originally Posted by met152
jmbnova,
Is there room to cut out the bottom plastic of the top compartment so that the dvd player can be dropped down a little bit? I'm guessing that you'd lose support and have to make some custom brackets to hold it in then, but it might give just enough space to squeeze a taller player in there.
maybe I just need to take apart my dash and do some measuring before I order anything. I love the idea of keeping the stock door, but I don't like how the player is offset so that the discs barely fit. There might not be anyway around this, but I'd sure like to try.
A half-din dvd player would be perfect, but all of the ones that I have come across are 7" wide, nothing smaller. Even with cutting, I don't know if there would be enough room.
Well, on my install, the bottom of the pocket is already gone... so i dont know if that would work or not.... Doing the measuring is the best possible thing to do... You can compare the size of the Myron & Davis AD212 against what you are researching in order to determine fit.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:21 AM
10th Gear

USA Spec problem

Hey (whoever has any idea how to fix this),
I had my iPod set up with the Spec adapter and for a while it worked fine. I left on vacation for about a week however and took it with me, now for whatever the reason I am not getting any type of sound when I try to play it. It charges ok, and makes a noise as though it is trying to register when I plug it in, but wont allow the songs to play. Also, just a bit of advice...I bought the TVandnav2go from Dom. It was a faulty unit, so I called and talked to the sales rep there and she said to just send it back for a replacement. I write this simply to say that if you are having the same issues and need to send it back to them, GET INSURANCE! I didnt get insurance through the post office on mine and they lost it in shipment! Just FYI. Anyways, any help would be great. Thanks!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:28 AM
Pro

Hey (whoever has any idea how to fix this),
I had my iPod set up with the Spec adapter and for a while it worked fine. I left on vacation for about a week however and took it with me, now for whatever the reason I am not getting any type of sound when I try to play it. It charges ok, and makes a noise as though it is trying to register when I plug it in, but wont allow the songs to play. Also, just a bit of advice...I bought the TVandnav2go from Dom. It was a faulty unit, so I called and talked to the sales rep there and she said to just send it back for a replacement. I write this simply to say that if you are having the same issues and need to send it back to them, GET INSURANCE! I didnt get insurance through the post office on mine and they lost it in shipment! Just FYI. Anyways, any help would be great. Thanks!
I have a similar issue with the USA Spec sometimes too when I re-plug it back in. It makes a bit of a crackling noise and no music comes out. I find that it usually starts working if I keep taking it out and re-plugging it back in a couple times. Another thing you can try is also switching tracks on the iPod or by hitting Disc + and Disc - a few times. Once you hear a small noise come out and the iPod pauses, that means that all you need to do is unpause the iPod and it should be good to go again. I always seem to have to try something different everytime to make it work but those are just a few of my usual methods.

In terms of the faulty Dom unit, I actually had the same problem too with the first one I got. They just re-sent me another one so it wasn't a big deal but it sure was a pain waiting for it and getting it re-installed again
Old 10-30-2006, 10:30 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
jimmy,

was reading you have the pioneer camera. can you take a picture of how it looks and its placement. I've only seen one other person use it and it was sitting out in the open and not hidden
Old 10-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Need 4 Speed...

Excellent set up. I have plans to do the exact same thing over the winter. Thanks for the pics.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:39 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by lembowski
jimmy,

was reading you have the pioneer camera. can you take a picture of how it looks and its placement. I've only seen one other person use it and it was sitting out in the open and not hidden
That was an old post of mine and I ended up deciding not to get the Pioneer but sticking with Wendy's camera. There definitely seemed to be no way to get the Pioneer camera hidden and not visible. That was a big reason why I didn't get it along with the fact that it was more pricey overall.

Wendy's camera works great. I would highly recommend it
Old 10-31-2006, 09:40 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Juiced_Acura_Kidd
Excellent set up. I have plans to do the exact same thing over the winter. Thanks for the pics.
No problem! Definitely a worthwhile install. Remember to post pics of yours once you get it done
Old 12-01-2006, 05:42 PM
GO NOLES!

Looks awesome man....great job! How is the DVD player working?
Old 12-04-2006, 08:54 AM
Advanced

Set up looks GREAT!
Well done by your installer. Thank you for all of your detailed information.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by stangd1909
Looks awesome man....great job! How is the DVD player working?
Works great. No problems at all so far. I know that some people on the forum have had issues with the Myron & Davis AD212 though but I've yet to experience anything.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ExpensiveWino32
Set up looks GREAT!
Well done by your installer. Thank you for all of your detailed information.
No problem!
Old 12-05-2006, 08:59 PM
śïιέит вµт đέαđιý

hey i read this whole threat to find out about this dvd nav conversion and i was wondering if anyone kenw someone where i can buy all these things from in toronto, canada...and i was wondering how much all these parts were on average:
Dom's video conversion kit
USA Spec adapter or FM transmitters
Myron & Davis AD212 DVD player = $140
Rocker switch Radio Shack = $2.99

and this is all i need to do the conversion right?...i dont need the ipod interetation just wanna watch movies and use the navigation thats it
Old 12-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by bloodylankan
hey i read this whole threat to find out about this dvd nav conversion and i was wondering if anyone kenw someone where i can buy all these things from in toronto, canada...and i was wondering how much all these parts were on average:
Dom's video conversion kit
USA Spec adapter or FM transmitters

and this is all i need to do the conversion right?...i dont need the ipod interetation just wanna watch movies and use the navigation thats it
On average, here are the prices:

Dom's video conversion kit = $125/$225 depending on if you get the Plug & Play unit or not.
USA Spec adapter or FM transmitters = USA Spec is around $140 and FM transmitters are around $90-$100 for the good ones.

This is all that you need to do the conversion. Even though you don't need iPod integration, I would suggest getting the USA Spec which has an Aux input for the sound of your DVD player and conveniently has an iPod adapter on the other end in case you ever wanna use it for the future. If you're sure that you'll never use an iPod, I would say to get the PIE X3 then which only has 3 audio inputs.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:50 PM
śïιέит вµт đέαđιý

oh thanks man...so from reading all this i found out where to get all the parts from expect the USA Spec (PIE X3 this the model number or something?) can you post that link by any chance too?
Old 12-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by bloodylankan
oh thanks man...so from reading all this i found out where to get all the parts from expect the USA Spec (PIE X3 this the model number or something?) can you post that link by any chance too?
The PIE x3 is a completely different unit than the USA Spec. The model # of the USA Spec that everyone on the forum uses is the USA Spec PA11-HON2. There's an updated version of this USA Spec adapter that got rid of all the bugs in the original unit called the USA Spec PA11-HON2y. The PIE x3 isn't an iPod unit but just one that provides 3 separate audio inputs.

For more information about the comparisons, check out this link:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=piex3
Old 12-07-2006, 02:03 PM
śïιέит вµт đέαđιý

thx for that info so i guess ill go with either the
USA Spec PA11-HON2y or PIE x3 depending on the price difference..do u knw the prices for these two things adapters?...nd where would i get these from?
Old 12-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Trucki!!

PIE x3 is cheaper by alot. But if your integrating an ipod go with the USAspec
Old 12-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by lembowski
PIE x3 is cheaper by alot. But if your integrating an ipod go with the USAspec
Couldn't have said it better
Old 12-07-2006, 09:55 PM
śïιέит вµт đέαđιý

so any idea where to grab the PIE x3??
Old 12-07-2006, 11:55 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Man, I really love this install! I am dying to do this. I just have to get the parts first. I took the info from the thread down, and sent you a couple (ok, 3) PMs slimmy! Holla back!

Quick Reply: DVD Conversion Install Complete in Lower Compartment Below Radio - Pictures Included!