DVD Conversion Install Complete in Lower Compartment Below Radio - Pictures Included!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 12:19 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd love to look at your install but I'm only seeing pictures of the outside of you car and your interior LED lights (seen these exact pictures in another thread). No one else is having this problem? I have tried 2 browsers.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Can You Feel It?

I did a search for the switch and found a few...can you tell me which one you got...

It sounded like you got this one...
$2.99

SPST 25-Amp Automotive Rocker Switch
Model: 275-730 | Catalog #: 275-730

This SPST automobile switch makes a great replacement for your damaged switch. Rated 25 amps at 12VD...

but there is this one...not sure if the prices had changed...
$2.79

SPST Rocker SwitchBlack
Model: 275-693 | Catalog #: 275-693

Use this SPST on/off rocker switch to get things rolling. Rated 10 amps at 125VAC or 250VAC. Mounts...
Old 05-30-2006, 02:03 PM
Team Nighthawk member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man.....nice install!! Anyone in the So. Cal. area know of any installers that would be able to do this nice a job?
Old 05-30-2006, 04:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jmbnova
Jimmy... looks sick.... Glad to see you finally got your install done....

What did you do about the hole in your glovebox??
Thanks Jeff!

Actually, I just got a replacement glovebox from Honda Acura World. I could've patched it up with some filling of some sort but I really didn't like the fact that there was a hole in my glovebox. I'm selling the glovebox with a hole in it on E-Bay and the Black Market for anyone who's interested
Old 05-30-2006, 04:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by FuZionBreeZe
That is a very nice installation...I been waiting for this for a long time...I asked around and there seem to be no player that would fit that compartment...but now you have done it slimmyjimmy!!!...you are the man!!

If it is possible can you post up all the requirements for the installation...like prices ,specs, and internet links on where to buys...

I can't wait to do this mod...I wish I was in virginia...

Thanks ALOT!
Thanks Fuzion!

The only things you'll need are:

1) Dom's video conversion kit.

2) A unit that will give you sound for the DVD player. I used the Aux In input on my USA Spec adapter but if you want to go an easier route, they have FM transmitters available. I didn't want to go this route though because I can't stand FM transmitters. Sound and quality wise, they are my struggling IMHO.

3) Myron & Davis AD212 DVD player. I purchased this for $140 shipped from www.audiodiscounters.com. It's listed for a lot more on their website than what they're willing to sell for so I actually called in and bargained

4) Switch to switch back from the Nav screen to DVD. I just bought a rocker switch from Radio Shack for $2.99.

5) Installation/labor cost. Make sure you find a right installer. I've heard of horror stories and people who have had to do their installations all over again because their installer didn't do it right the first time. Make sure you find someone you can trust and someone who you know can do it RIGHT

Hope that helps.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:28 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by FuZionBreeZe
I did a search for the switch and found a few...can you tell me which one you got...

It sounded like you got this one...
$2.99

This SPST automobile switch makes a great replacement for your damaged switch. Rated 25 amps at 12VD...

but there is this one...not sure if the prices had changed...
$2.79

SPST Rocker SwitchBlack

Use this SPST on/off rocker switch to get things rolling. Rated 10 amps at 125VAC or 250VAC. Mounts...
Hey Fuzion,

Do NOT get this one.

It may look better because it has a white label for On and Off but it's bigger than the blank space next to the VSA OFF button. It'll look really funny if you want to mount your switch there. I actually saw this exact same switch at Radio Shack and took it out to my car to make sure and sure enough, it really was too big.

The second one you listed:

SPST Rocker SwitchBlack

This is the right one and the one that you want. It's the exact same one that I got and it fits perfectly in the blank area next to the VSA OFF switch.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-30-2006, 10:55 PM
Tint The Windshield

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the response Jimmy. It does help. I may eventually put it where you have it if I could get the carbon above the dvd player and if I could put up with having to have the car in gear to slide dvd's in and out. Which isn't really a huge deal at all, but ya know ...
Old 05-31-2006, 12:15 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 05-31-2006, 07:39 AM
Advanced

i cant see those pics for some reason, any way you can email them to me?? tokbloodshed@yahoo.com.

thanks!!
Old 05-31-2006, 09:18 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by dero79
i cant see those pics for some reason, any way you can email them to me?? tokbloodshed@yahoo.com.

thanks!!
Pictures Sent
Old 05-31-2006, 10:26 AM
Look Mean, Play Nice

I forgot to mention this earlier... but that rocker switch is awesome! Much more stock looking than the chrome switch that comes with DOM's kit. And the location of it is perfect! That blank plate is doing nothing - why not put it to work!
Old 05-31-2006, 04:01 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by bar2v
I forgot to mention this earlier... but that rocker switch is awesome! Much more stock looking than the chrome switch that comes with DOM's kit. And the location of it is perfect! That blank plate is doing nothing - why not put it to work!
I agree. That's why I got it

The only quirk I found about it and my installer confirmed is that no matter what way you turn the switch, the white end is always gonna be to switch back to the normal Nav screen. I thought this was kinda weird because normally the white end goes on top. If you look at my pictures, that's why the white spotted part is on the bottom because even though it looks funnier, I wanted switching back to Nav to be on the bottom and not the top.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:55 AM
10th Gear

iPod adapter

Originally Posted by slimmyjimmy
iPod integration? I already have the USA Spec installed already which works great for my iPod though.

Clarify please
Hey Jimmy,
Just a question about your iPod adapter. Which USA spec model do you use? and what should it run me?
Old 06-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Biddy311
Hey Jimmy,
Just a question about your iPod adapter. Which USA spec model do you use? and what should it run me?
Hey Biddy,

I got the USA SPEC PA11-HON2 adapter. Everyone on the TL forum has been using this exact same adapter. I purchased the adapter from Crutchfield for $136.98 shipped to my door.

It's definitely a pretty sweet unit for an aftermarket one.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-01-2006, 12:23 PM
10th Gear

Thanks!

Great! Thanks Jimmy. It appears they're out of stock right now, but I can be patient. As for the Dom conversion kit you were talking about, I've been looking on the internet and cant seem to find what it is I will be looking for. Any help?
Old 06-01-2006, 02:03 PM
Look Mean, Play Nice

USA_SPEC KIT (USA SPEC + NAV PASS THRU):
http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...PA11_HON2.html

LAST GROUP BUY FOR DOM NAV KIT:
https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/%24125-tvandnav2gos-may-navi-video-conversion-%24125-ends-may-31st-337909/
Old 06-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Pro

Great! Thanks Jimmy. It appears they're out of stock right now, but I can be patient. As for the Dom conversion kit you were talking about, I've been looking on the internet and cant seem to find what it is I will be looking for. Any help?
Look in the thread in the post above from bar2v about Dom's Nav conversion kit. You can also go to www.tvandnav2go.com and it has information about Dom's company.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:33 AM
Cruisin'

nice install...just installed DOM's unit as well including a dvd player and couldn't be happier...how does your myron and davis run? I've heard both good and bad...just wanted your opinion. Does it run fine for you? I originally wanted this player because of it's size but so far I am just running a ps2 (my dvd player) but looking for something more permanent in the car...
Old 06-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by MELIT
nice install...just installed DOM's unit as well including a dvd player and couldn't be happier...how does your myron and davis run? I've heard both good and bad...just wanted your opinion. Does it run fine for you? I originally wanted this player because of it's size but so far I am just running a ps2 (my dvd player) but looking for something more permanent in the car...
Exact same reason why I got rid of the PS2 in my car! I wanted something more stock-looking as well as permanent.

So far I haven't had any issues at all with the Myron & Davis DVD player. I know people have said that the quality isn't that great but I honestly haven't noticed any problems with it. The picture is great from the movies I've seen.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hey slimmyjimmy,
that looks great but i'm wayout in california.. and can't go to your installer! ha.. did he have to make brackets? and what kinda face plate did he use to fill in the gaps... if he sells these and instructions.. i'm willing to buy them.. and just put it in myself, I'm thinkin' you need some kind bracket tohold it in place, no? or i could be wrong.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by gatdammit
hey slimmyjimmy,
that looks great but i'm wayout in california.. and can't go to your installer! ha.. did he have to make brackets? and what kinda face plate did he use to fill in the gaps... if he sells these and instructions.. i'm willing to buy them.. and just put it in myself, I'm thinkin' you need some kind bracket tohold it in place, no? or i could be wrong.
My installer did actually make and use brackets to secure the DVD player in place on the sides. For the face plate on the top, he actually said he had to cut and shape it himself to make it look right with the rest of the radio to make it look factory. I think it was just a normal faceplate for an aftermarket MP3 player.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:05 AM
8th Gear

directions

Does the navigation still work with the DVD playing? IE like the radio tones down while the navigation is providing directions. BTY the install looks great. Congrats to you and the installer.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:07 AM
Pro

Oh, that's a good question. I haven't tested it yet with the navigation giving commands. From what I'm guessing though, the radio will tone down because the sound for the DVD player is pretty much feeding off of the Aux In input on the USA Spec adapter which is also connected to the iPod. When the navigation gives commands with the iPod playing, the iPod tones down so it should work the same way with the DVD player.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:16 AM
Boondocks fanatic.....

Originally Posted by slimmyjimmy

Here are two more shots from farther away to get another perspective.

And now for the money shots in the dark. Even the blue lights complement the blue lights in the radio!

DVD powering on.

DVD playing.

Everything in full view!

Here's the remote I'm using. It's also super small and easy to store away.

And here's a shot of the rocker switch that I purchased from Radio Shack for $2.99 to switch from Nav to DVD.

Let me know what you all think!
Late to the party but damn this looks good.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:21 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Russdaddy
Late to the party but damn this looks good.
Thanks Russ!
Old 06-14-2006, 09:23 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ordered my AD212 from Vince at Audio Outfitters yesterday. Nice guy. Hope to have this done soon! Thanks for the idea Jim.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:26 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by zax123
I ordered my AD212 from Vince at Audio Outfitters yesterday. Nice guy. Hope to have this done soon! Thanks for the idea Jim.
No problem zax!

Hope the install goes well and remember to post up pics
Old 06-14-2006, 09:40 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Oops, that's supposed to be Audio Discounters, not Outfitters. DOH
Old 06-14-2006, 09:48 AM
Pro

Oops, that's supposed to be Audio Discounters, not Outfitters. DOH
Old 06-14-2006, 10:32 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
so how hard is it to mount and create the front face template surrounding the unit? I have the dvd player and can do everything else, but what about that trim....??
Old 06-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jmbnova
so how hard is it to mount and create the front face template surrounding the unit? I have the dvd player and can do everything else, but what about that trim....??
Creating the front faceplate is a pain in the butt. You gotta shape it and form it to fit the gap between the DVD player and the bottom of the radio. It's definitely going to take some time and effort. You're also going to have to find a faceplate that will also look good. There are a lot of black faceplates out there that don't look too good with the rest of the car.

Mounting's pretty simple. Just take out the top compartment and the DVD player fits pretty snugly in there.

Of course since my installer took care of everything I wish I could give you better answers than that but that's what he also told me after he finished the install.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I'm going to chop up the "carbon fiber" cover from the drawer I'm taking out. It's $60 on acuraparts247.com so that's the risk I'm taking... My car is IMPOSSIBLE to return to stock without MAJOR expense, so if I ever sell it, I'll be selling it fully modified...
Old 06-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Pro

I'm going to chop up the "carbon fiber" cover from the drawer I'm taking out. It's $60 on acuraparts247.com so that's the risk I'm taking... My car is IMPOSSIBLE to return to stock without MAJOR expense, so if I ever sell it, I'll be selling it fully modified...
Hmmm....not a bad idea but maybe a better idea is to just get a standard black faceplate, get a carbon fiber rear trim kit, cut and shape a part of the trim kit to fit the faceplate, stick and apply on faceplate.

Just a suggestion so you don't have to go through all the hard extra effort
Old 06-16-2006, 10:53 AM
10th Gear

iPod Adaptor and Brackets

Hey Jimmy,
My iPod adaptor came yesterday, but on the back it has a note saying, "A cable adaptor from USA-SPEC is required to work with Factory Installed Navigation system and XM receiver." Do I need another part to get this all hooked up? I didnt see you mention anything in previous posts about it, so I thought I'd ask. Also, you mentioned in a previous post that your installer needed to make brackets to hold the DVD player in place. Are there any type of instructions available or a guide of some sort as to how to do that? It would help out a lot! Thanks!
Old 06-16-2006, 03:57 PM
Pro

Hey Jimmy,
My iPod adaptor came yesterday, but on the back it has a note saying, "A cable adaptor from USA-SPEC is required to work with Factory Installed Navigation system and XM receiver." Do I need another part to get this all hooked up? I didnt see you mention anything in previous posts about it, so I thought I'd ask. Also, you mentioned in a previous post that your installer needed to make brackets to hold the DVD player in place. Are there any type of instructions available or a guide of some sort as to how to do that? It would help out a lot! Thanks!
Biddy,

I'm pretty sure that the cable the box is referring to is the Y adapter that isn't included with the adapter but that you'll need if you want to retain XM. I previously had the Music Link installed and it came with the Y adapter so I just fed my USA Spec adapter off of the same Y adapter. You can purchase the Y adapter at most audio stores. If you can't find it locally, it's definitely online somewhere because I've seen people from the forum buy it online.

As for the brackets, hmmm.....really sorry but I don't have any kind of instructions because I wasn't there when he did the install.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
that looks soooo great.... that guy is awesome
Old 06-16-2006, 06:11 PM
big bas

i was just looking to put a dvd player in my car and now that i've seen yours i'm convinced that 's the way to go. good thing i live in the dc metro area.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by broadney
i was just looking to put a dvd player in my car and now that i've seen yours i'm convinced that 's the way to go. good thing i live in the dc metro area.
Awesome!

Check your PM for my installer's info
Old 06-28-2006, 05:23 PM
Team Anthracite Member

jimmy,

I received my AD212 and I'm in the process of rigging it into that upper compartment... I was just wondering if by any chance your installer took some pics of how he anchored it in there. I have a couple ideas but I'd be curious to know how someone else did it.

Thanks!

Rob
Old 06-28-2006, 05:32 PM
DCC
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
jimmy,

I received my AD212 and I'm in the process of rigging it into that upper compartment... I was just wondering if by any chance your installer took some pics of how he anchored it in there. I have a couple ideas but I'd be curious to know how someone else did it.

Thanks!

Rob
rOB,

MAKE SURE TO TEST OUT YOUR PLAYER BEFORE YOU MOUNT IT. SOME PEOPLE HAVE BEEN HAVING ISSUES WITH THE PLAYER AND I'D HATE TO SEE YOU INSTALL IT AND IT NOT WORK. I KNOW SLIMMYJIMMY AND MYSELF HAVE HAD SUCCESS AND NO PROBLEMS WITH IT, BUT THERE SEEMS TO BE SOME UNITS FLOATING AROUND WITH MECHANICAL PROBLEMS. I DID A LITTLE RESEARCH AND I THINK THIS IS THE FIRST 3/4 DIN PLAYER M&D HAVE PUT OUT...SO THERE'S BOUND TO BE SOME 'BUGS' WITH THEM. JUST A WORD OF PRECAUTION.

Quick Reply: DVD Conversion Install Complete in Lower Compartment Below Radio - Pictures Included!