DVD-A Choices Diminishing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 10:06 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Question DVD-A Choices Diminishing?

Went into Best Buy yesterday for the 1st time in months. The DVD-A section has dwindled down to maybe a dozen or so choices.

Is this a sign of what's really happenning to DVD-A, or is it just Best Buy?
Old 06-04-2005, 10:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your best bet is to shop online like Digital Eyes, DVD Empire, Buy DVD Now, or DVD pilot.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:35 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
Went into Best Buy yesterday for the 1st time in months. The DVD-A section has dwindled down to maybe a dozen or so choices.

Is this a sign of what's really happenning to DVD-A, or is it just Best Buy?
I think it is a sign - DVD-A is currently a niche format, and big box stores like Best Buy don't cater to niches. The other poster is right, on-line is the best place to get DVD-As.

Whether this changes remains to be seen - the general populace right now places a premium on portability, customization, and bulk storage of music - not fidelity and imaging. I have to admit that I love my 40GB MP3 player - but when in the TL I love the great sound of DVD-A's even more.

The DVD-A release of Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms is going to be very cool if it is released this fall as it's supposed to be. Has anyone seen the continued-to-be-rumored release of Jackson Browne's Running on Empty yet?

Mike
Old 06-04-2005, 08:39 PM
Safety Car

Mike, where do you get your info on future releases? It's great info! And no, haven't seen Running on Empty yet.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I saw the info on Brothers in Arms somewhere on the web that I was reading a review of the 5.1 SACD version that is out now. I have a preview of the DVD-A (SACD->DVD-A analog conversion) in my car now .

Mark Knopfler is one of the artists supporting multichannel sound now - Shangri-La and Sailing to Philadelphia were both released this year.

Mike
Old 06-04-2005, 11:23 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might want to search some of the other good threads on this subject, which I have found useful as a lurker. Best Buy seems to be limited to remnants, and Circuit City has completely discontinued DVD-A, although some of their employees remember that they used to carry it.

If you are fortunate enough to have a Fry's Electronics superstore nearby, they seem to actively stock the format. Although the shelf space is very small in relationship to CD's and DVD's, I have found new stock (not necessarily new releases) each time I have looked. I have found most of the titles that I have seen on-line, plus a few that I have never seen on-line.

If you are not familiar with Fry's, beware. They are like giant tech crack-houses - highly addictive venues that will suck the cash out of your debit or credit card.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:32 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DesertMist
If you are not familiar with Fry's, beware. They are like giant tech crack-houses - highly addictive venues that will suck the cash out of your debit or credit card.
I've never thought of Fry's quite in that way. Good one! As much as I go there, I've never really purused the CD area. I guess I will now to check out their DVD-A selection.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I think DVD-A is pretty much dead, along with all of high-res music. Too many people prefer to get mp3-quality (eww) music onto their iPods, therefore no way to make money on high res.

Too bad, I really enjoy multichannel music, especially since I have a setup in my home for that.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Well if you are either really talented, or have some extra cash you can have DVD-As made, have all the channels seperated. And if you are really really rich you can set up a recording session with the artist.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by crazymjb
Well if you are either really talented, or have some extra cash you can have DVD-As made, have all the channels seperated. And if you are really really rich you can set up a recording session with the artist.
Your point being? or are you just PW? (again)
Old 06-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Instructor

I got excited when I went into my Best Buy the other day, it looked like they had restocked the DVD-A section...

... then I realized it was restocked with SACDs.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
BEst buy has a GROWING selection of DUALDISC CD/DVD-A's ... you have to go the the main CD selection shelves to browse for your artist... and sometimes they'll have a dualdisc.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:05 AM
Royal Flush

Tower has crap..I know that. Its a shame, really. The few DVD-A/DTS discs I have sound terrific. They blow away conventional CDs.

Like someone mentioned above...it seems people want downloaded music a la the Ipod. Good luck with that if you like it...I consider myself an audiophile. I have a hi-fi stereo at home and to be able to listen to crystal clear music is a joy, even though my collection is all CD's.....vinyl still produces better audio quality, believe it or not.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by svtmike
I saw the info on Brothers in Arms somewhere on the web that I was reading a review of the 5.1 SACD version that is out now. I have a preview of the DVD-A (SACD->DVD-A analog conversion) in my car now .

Mark Knopfler is one of the artists supporting multichannel sound now - Shangri-La and Sailing to Philadelphia were both released this year.

Mike
Keep in mind that our systems can play 5.1 DTS CD's also, a multitude of titles are available at www.dts.com.

Not exactly the same quality as DVD-A, but nice.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:08 PM
Instructor

Best Buy is geared for the masses it seems,and DVD-A is a nichemarket. I hope it becomes more than that, but until that time, I shop online at www.towerrecords.com for my DVD-A's, and dual discs. Big selection, and they include the DTS discs with the DVD-a listings.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

I went into Best Buy last night and they had removed the DVD-A/SACD section. I looked in the regular section for some DVD-As and didn't find any. Was looking for some R.E.M. I was a huge fan during their heyday and I would love to replace my collection with the new DVD-As they've released. This almost (I said almost) reminds me of when I went into Best Buy many years ago and realized they had gotten rid of all the cassette tapes.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:33 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AMIC
I went into Best Buy last night and they had removed the DVD-A/SACD section. I looked in the regular section for some DVD-As and didn't find any. Was looking for some R.E.M. I was a huge fan during their heyday and I would love to replace my collection with the new DVD-As they've released. This almost (I said almost) reminds me of when I went into Best Buy many years ago and realized they had gotten rid of all the cassette tapes.

AMIC.. I have just about all of REM's releases since Document on DVD-A.. They just released a bunch, and are available on their site (www.remhq.com).. Most come as a cd+dvd pack, but the DVD is dvd-a with 5.1 and high res.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

tcp100, how do they sound? Is it a big improvement over the older releases?