DVD-Audio discs disappearing...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 03:14 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry DVD-Audio discs disappearing...

As anyone else noticed that finding DVD-Audio disc is becoming increasingly more difficult everyday. They seem to be disappearing off the shelf and not being replaced. I was told by a Best Buy store that they are not selling well and starting to be phased out. WTF?
Old 02-26-2005, 04:13 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was talking to a frind of mine last week that is an expert on the issue and he told me that DVD-A is a dead standard. It would have been better for Acura to install an MP3 compatible reader
Old 02-26-2005, 04:20 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i don't think it will die out SO QUICKLY.....car companies and other companies have invested too much into DVD-A to let it go...
Old 02-26-2005, 04:24 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
There was like 25 new DualDisc titles of major releases that came out in the past week. Lexus is releasing a new model with DVD-A, I think the format just got a new lease on life.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JMan
As anyone else noticed that finding DVD-Audio disc is becoming increasingly more difficult everyday. They seem to be disappearing off the shelf and not being replaced. I was told by a Best Buy store that they are not selling well and starting to be phased out. WTF?
The BB & CC in my area phased out their limited selections couple of months ago. A number of folks have said the same thing about the stores in their local area. Fry's still carries them and I also found some at Borders. Check this post SACD vs DVD-A for some online sites to purchase DVD-A's.

Originally Posted by maditalian
I was talking to a frind of mine last week that is an expert on the issue and he told me that DVD-A is a dead standard. It would have been better for Acura to install an MP3 compatible reader
How so? As far as Acura is concerned, I don't think they would have continued using a DVD-A system if that were the case. A hi-rez music format sounds way better than compressed music any day of the week. If Acura went the MP3 route, they would have added an Ipod connection. Why use a 700MB disc when you can get 4GB, 20GB or 40GB HD.

Originally Posted by wakattack
There was like 25 new DualDisc titles of major releases that came out in the past week. Lexus is releasing a new model with DVD-A, I think the format just got a new lease on life.
Keep an eye on them - majority of the new titles are DVD-V, not DVD-A on the flip side and not playable on our system. Nine Inch Nails Downward Spiral, Simple Plan's Still Not Getting Any, and Blondie's The Curse of Blondie are DVD-A.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:02 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Whoops, those DualDiscs don't work in our cars.. At least not the one I just picked up.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:58 PM
Banned

I wouldn't judge the format's future on inventories at brick-and-mortars -- most of the stores I go into are nearly empty anyway. Online music retailers have a good selection. I just bought six from DVD Empire last week.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:56 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 482 Likes on 224 Posts
Let's hope that large blast of R.E.M. discs coming out next week does well, and shows the labels that people want DVD-A.

There are new ones out there, they are just very hard to find. (Seal, Knopfler, etc,) And Sony is making it difficult (no, not Sony?) by releasing DualDiscs, which are DVD-A capable, without DVD-A tracks!

First they abandon their own proprietary format (SACD), then they stick a knife in DVD-A.

Those scum!
Old 02-27-2005, 01:06 PM
Instructor

With the likes of GM, Honda, Toyota and I believe BMW all starting to go with the DVD-A as their premium sound systems I don't think the DVD-A standard is going to die anytime soon. If you want to buy the DVD-A discs then go to ebay or any online sites. I think right now there are about 700 different titles of DVD-A to choose from and growing.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:17 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Smile

Here is a link to SIX HUNDRED AND TWENTY (620) DVD-A discs available from CD Universe. (Note: Some are DTS Surround CDs, but these play in the TL as well)

You can get them wherever you like, I am just using this CD Universe link as a reference!

http://www.cduniverse.com/browsecat....cart=232613185
Old 02-27-2005, 06:31 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Be careful of DualDiscs. Word is that they are a smidgen thicker than CDs/DVD-As/SACDs, so there might be a possibility of problems in an in-dash player.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:02 AM
Advanced

I bought the new Switchfoot dual disc and it would not play the DVD-A side. I think it is because it is DVD-V format.

Perhaps if there is no video on the DVD side then it would only be DVD-A? Seems like if they include a video on the DVD-A side it is really a DVD-V format on that side which doesn't play in a TL. Sound logical?
Old 02-28-2005, 11:22 AM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Telarc dual disc (DVD-Video on one side and DVD-Audio on the other) and it plays just fine in my TL. I noticed that if I insert it incorrectly, the player will spit it right back to me so that I can flip it over and do a correct insertion. Clever gadgets these Panasonic players are.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:37 AM
Advanced

I like the whole idea of DVD-A. I would want to keep DVD-a in store shelves, but the harsh truth is that not many people are buying them. MP3's are becoming more popular everyday. There are many reason people are not using DVD-A 1. Mp3's are readily available. 2. Mp3's are easy to use and download. 3. Mp3's are free from peer to peer sharing. 4. Why pay for a dvda cd while you can dowload mp3s and stick them in your car via CD or Ipod. There are many other reasons DVDa is failing. Acura should have installed mp3 file format reader in the TL. Dvda format will be put to sleep like DIVX, mini discs, and laser disks.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Advanced

I've heard of conflicting reports on this...a few weeks ago when I was trying to pick up Linkin Park's Reanimation (amazing by the way...definetly recommend).

Went to Barnes & Noble/Borders...which ever one that sells CD's and they were like no DVD-A's, but we've gotten a lot of requests and will have some in inventory shortly.

Then went to a CD store in a mall and the manager was the one who ended up helping me said that they had a large selection of DVD-A's during the holiday's except not many were sold and they ended up returning them to the warehouse.

I ended up just getting it online.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:20 PM
TL User

All that needs to be done to save DVD-A is to find a way to easily burn them from PCs. But alas, I have found no easy way of doing... yet.

EDIT: By easy, I mean "cheap". There ARE DVD-A software encoders available, but they are not cheap...
Old 02-28-2005, 01:25 PM
Instructor

I like the idea of DVD-A but right now I don't see this format catching on. Since I ordered some DVD-As in November I haven't seen very many new releases. Not even that many classical ones. I thought this might be the audiophile standard.

When I heard about dual disks I thought that might be the way the market was going to go, but I see this being mostly DVD-videos.

I thnk there is a demand for 6 channel stereo, but there are a lot more DVD machines around that can play it than DVD-As. Everyone has a DVD player, & many people have surround sound systems; only a few luxury car models will play DVD-As.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:19 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

A DVD- Audio disc can also have DVD-V content, however this content would not be available in a DVD-Audio only player like the TL.

The bottom line is that they are all DVDs. If there is a DVD-A section, then the TL will play it. If it only has the DVD-V section, then it will not.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:20 AM
Intermediate

While DVD-a disks seem to be disapearing the Hardware to play them seems to be more and more plentiful. It does seem to me that more hardware makers are in fact supporting the DVD-a standard.
Weird.
I think it is just a matter of time and everything NEW will be available on DVD-A.
Yaesumofo