DVD audio creation

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 03:44 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD audio creation

Does the TL's non-NAV stereo play WMA DVD's?And yes,I did search the forums and used Adobeman's script's technique,spent a gazillion hours ending up with a headache,to no avail.
Seem's to me to be an extremely complicated way to create DVD's.
I have the brand new Nero 7 software that I use for burning.My music files vary from .mp3,.wav,.wma,.rax <---using Comcast Rhapsody(couldn't find a way to convert the .rax files anywhere so I cancelled Rhapshitty today)
I'm hoping the TL plays .wma DVD's since I don't wanna be creating lot's of "coasters"These boogers are a bit more expensive than CD's.
btw I'm using Memorex DVD-R 8x 4.7GB 120 min. media burned in a Pioneer DVR-108.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:21 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Subhuman
Does the TL's non-NAV stereo play WMA DVD's?
nope.

And yes,I did search the forums and used Adobeman's script's technique,spent a gazillion hours ending up with a headache,to no avail.
Seem's to me to be an extremely complicated way to create DVD's.
I have the brand new Nero 7 software that I use for burning.My music files vary from .mp3,.wav,.wma,.rax <---using Comcast Rhapsody(couldn't find a way to convert the .rax files anywhere so I cancelled Rhapshitty today)
I'm hoping the TL plays .wma DVD's since I don't wanna be creating lot's of "coasters"These boogers are a bit more expensive than CD's.
btw I'm using Memorex DVD-R 8x 4.7GB 120 min. media burned in a Pioneer DVR-108.
I agree that my scripts aren't for everyone. Try www.Cirlinca.com for their software. You willl need to convert wma to wav first. Not sure what tools will suport this conversion. CDEx will convert mp3 to wav for sure.

Others have been using Ulead DVD Movie Factory (the version that includes burn.now) It is lots more expensive but will automatically convert mp3 (and maybe wma) prior to burning the DVD-A

Nero does not burnDVD-A. There is a difference between recording music on DVD-V (what Nero and many others do) and actually making DVD-A (what Cirlinca Audio Solo, Burn.Now and my scripts do). DVD-R media is more than CDs but stilo easily bought for <40 cents a piece for good ones.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:05 PM
Instructor

Just a quick addition to what Adobeman offered, I use DVD Audio Solo to create the iso file of my dvd audio disk and then use Nero to do the actual burning of the disk for a couple of reasons:

1 Nero is more reliable for burning than the Cirlinca product.

2 If the burn fails with Cirlinca then you have to rebuild the DVD image the next time but if it fails with Nero you already have the image created so it easy to try and burn it again.

As Adobeman already said, Nero won't create the DVD audio content but can be used to reliably burn your DVDs.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:29 AM
Instructor

Ok,on another note,wich music download service should i subscribe to now that I've ditched Comcrap's Rhapshitty service?

I spent the day today hitting all the music stores in search of DVD-A's and hardly found any.Border's Book's had the most of 'em all.Wherehouse Music had none whatsoever and the few that Best buy had were all being discontinued by them they said.I bought 3 DVD-A's there at BB,2 of wich work flawlessly(Elton John's "Yellow Brick Road" & REM' "Document",however the 3rd one I bought (U2 "Go Home-Live from Slain Castle")didn't work at all.I got a "FORMAT" message on screen and then it got ejected.Those a'holes wouldn't even refund me when I went back to return it 10 min after buying it!!!! FU BB!

Very frustrating having this great sounding feature in our vehicles and not being able to utilize it,unless of course you don't mind listening to the same crap every day.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:09 AM
Banned

It takes a human to use Adobeman's scripts, so being that you're subhuman I feel sorry for you ....
Old 01-19-2006, 10:32 AM
Intermediate

Ok,on another note,wich music download service should i subscribe to now that I've ditched Comcrap's Rhapshitty service?

I spent the day today hitting all the music stores in search of DVD-A's and hardly found any.Border's Book's had the most of 'em all.Wherehouse Music had none whatsoever and the few that Best buy had were all being discontinued by them they said.I bought 3 DVD-A's there at BB,2 of wich work flawlessly(Elton John's "Yellow Brick Road" & REM' "Document",however the 3rd one I bought (U2 "Go Home-Live from Slain Castle")didn't work at all.I got a "FORMAT" message on screen and then it got ejected.Those a'holes wouldn't even refund me when I went back to return it 10 min after buying it!!!! FU BB!

Very frustrating having this great sounding feature in our vehicles and not being able to utilize it,unless of course you don't mind listening to the same crap every day.
Dont know how good this is but this site puts out an e-newsletter for DVD-A releases (http://www.telarc.com/member/newslet...5FCJG29V6BFHHA)

hopefully that's a link and not a session ID - if it is, then press the DVD-A logo on the left panel.

BTW - lots of free MP3 tracks on the site. Like 1 track per album they are selling. If you like Jazz it may be worth downloading a couple and building your own mix.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:50 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

Im sorry the free script didnt work for you.

Try dvd audio solo at a very good deal price of $34.95
Old 01-30-2006, 11:02 AM
Advanced

I'm no computer genius, but I was very interested in burning my own dvd audio's, basically because the selection sucks here in Toronto. I downloaded the solo software and tried to figure out what to do. Just trying to get wav files off a cd was hard enough and when I figured it out...sort of it started to do something, but in the end it kacked out and was a waste of time. Question... If I continue to play with this and invest my time learning can you actually make a dvd audio from a 2 channel cd song? If the answer is yes, where in that software does it allow you to convert it to surround sound, I could only get 2 channel as an option. I might be willing to pay others to do it for me if you live in the toronto area just to get the music I want.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2006, 11:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1379826#

Originally Posted by barry stevens
I'm no computer genius, but I was very interested in burning my own dvd audio's, basically because the selection sucks here in Toronto. I downloaded the solo software and tried to figure out what to do. Just trying to get wav files off a cd was hard enough and when I figured it out...sort of it started to do something, but in the end it kacked out and was a waste of time. Question... If I continue to play with this and invest my time learning can you actually make a dvd audio from a 2 channel cd song? If the answer is yes, where in that software does it allow you to convert it to surround sound, I could only get 2 channel as an option. I might be willing to pay others to do it for me if you live in the toronto area just to get the music I want.

Thanks
Your first question about 2 channel DVD-A - emphatically yes! I've been using Adobeman's script located here to make 2 channel DVD-A discs. I have 14 of them with approx 87-94 songes per disc. If your software can copy ISO images than you're set. All the info you need is available on that site.

The answer to your second question - you need a 5.1 source to make 5.1 DVD-A discs. When you rip for example a music DVD using DVD Audio extractor, you will have 6 wav files. Solo will do all the rest. For more info, see this thread. You might shoot a PM to Adobeman or Actuary if you have any other questions or require more info.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by barry stevens
I'm no computer genius, but I was very interested in burning my own dvd audio's, basically because the selection sucks here in Toronto. I downloaded the solo software and tried to figure out what to do. Just trying to get wav files off a cd was hard enough and when I figured it out...sort of it started to do something, but in the end it kacked out and was a waste of time.
I am computer savy, and I agree that the Solo interface could be more user friendly. It is ok once you have played with it for a while.

I have spent endless hours trying different programs and procedures to create DVD-A, both from CD's as well as DVD-V. The free program Audiograbber works best for me in ripping CD's. It's normalization configuration handles those CD with 100% peak levels. The either use Adobeman's script and your DVD burner software or Solo to burn your DVD-R disks. Well worth the effot.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:34 AM
Safety Car

OK, if you're looking for DVD-A discs to purchase, you won't find them at your brick and mortar retail places. A lot of the stores i.e. CC, BB removed most of their inventory last year after summer. I found that the best places are online, here are some sites:
Circuit City
Buy DVD Now
DVD Empire
DVD Planet
Buy.com
Acoustic Sounds
Digital Eyes
AIX
Old 01-31-2006, 11:36 AM
Safety Car

OK, if you're looking for DVD-A discs to purchase, you won't find them at your brick and mortar retail places. A lot of the stores i.e. CC, BB removed most of their inventory last year after summer. I found that the best places are online, here are some sites:
Circuit City
Buy DVD Now
DVD Empire
DVD Planet
Buy.com
Acoustic Sounds
Digital Eyes
AIX
Old 01-31-2006, 11:59 AM
Racer

I was looking at the specs for Nero 7 and it supports 5.1 and 7.1 as well as DVD Audio. Does anyone know if this program will allow us to burn DVD-A's??
Old 01-31-2006, 03:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
I thought so too when I read the specs, but no Nero doesn't create DVD-Audio that is supported by the TL. It creates "dvd audio" with its Nero Digital format (which the TL does not like).
Old 01-31-2006, 03:04 PM
5th Gear

not sure where i read that Verbatim DVD + R DL worked but i spent 2 hours creating the disc and the car spits it back out.
any idea what DL disc wil work?
Old 01-31-2006, 03:59 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by willz822
I was looking at the specs for Nero 7 and it supports 5.1 and 7.1 as well as DVD Audio. Does anyone know if this program will allow us to burn DVD-A's??
It will not create DVD-A. It will create DVDs with music on them but they are in the DVD-V format, not DVD-A. Apples and oranges.

There may be some confusion because it will burn image files (.iso) created by another program. There are other programs that will create only an image of a DVD-A. Even older versions of Nero can generally burn these.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:24 AM
Racer

Thanks guys....I was about to pull the trigger on Nero 7 too.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:04 PM
10th Gear

Created 1 DVD Audio

I purchased the new(?) Police DVD Video music DVD and used DVD Audio Extractor to extract the compressed 5.1 channel audio from the various videos that were on the DVD video.

I then used DVD Solo to make an DVD Audio image.

I then used Nero to burn the image to a single sided DVD-R.

the disc plays fine in my TL. not up to the level of uncompressed 5.1 sound you'll get from a "real" DVD Audio disc, but I still like surround sound in the car.

did this a couple of months ago, and haven't tried anything since. The part that took me the longest was matching up the tracks on the DVD video music disc with the songs I wanted to convert since not every track/chapter on the DVD is a song.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:00 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by acuratl05tx
the disc plays fine in my TL. not up to the level of uncompressed 5.1 sound you'll get from a "real" DVD Audio disc, but I still like surround sound in the car.
The disk you created should exactly match the souce as the the process should not be doing any compression. Any difference in quality between it and a "real" DVD-A goes right back to the quality of the original DVD Video disk.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:01 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by Bplayer
The disk you created should exactly match the souce as the the process should not be doing any compression. Any difference in quality between it and a "real" DVD-A goes right back to the quality of the original DVD Video disk.
Agreed. But...
Maybe he was saying that since the original DVD-V is either DD5.1 or DTS it is in a lossy compression typically at 48K/16bit. Most commercial DVD-A use MLP (loss-less) and are at up to 96k/24 bit. I was originally blown away by how good a DTS track can sound on a movie. That was until I heard a good DVD-A. I still really like DTS for home theater.

Another thing I have noticed is that many concert DVD-Vs plain suck with respect to audio. Same can be said of many DVD-As if they are a re-hash of old recordings. But a comparison to a ripped concert DVD-A with a new, well produced DVD-A, will often favor the DVD-A when it comes to sound quality.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:29 AM
10th Gear

Adobeman, you are correct!

As far as I know, the only surround sound allowed on DVD-Videos is compressed... either Dolby Digital or DTS.

I also have 1 DTS CD from The Police (or at least I think it s a CD and not a DVD) that plays fine in my 05 TL.

And I have a few DVD Audio discs...

I like the pure sound of the DVD-A's with their uncompressed surround sound the best, but I don't always prefer the remixes. For example, I prefer the "mixing" on the 2-channel Everclear 'So Much For The Afterglow' CD to the 5.1 channel mixes on just about every song from the DVD Audio disc of the same title.

Finally, I do agree some of the audio on concert/music DVD Video discs is just awfuil... but I guess that's to be expected. I've seen some movies on DVD Video where the quality was bad .

Thanks.