DVD-Audio: Cirlinca's Solo creates DVD-As for your TL

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 07:01 PM
Young Again!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking DVD-Audio: Cirlinca's Solo creates DVD-As for your TL

Cirlinca’s DVD-Audio Solo is a nifty program that you can use to create DVD-Audio discs. They will work in your TL’s DVD-A player. The program costs $34.95. Trial version is fully functional for 30 days.

Caveat: Use DVD-R or DVD-RW blanks. They worked for me, while the (+) did not.

After you get the program from Cirlinca <http://www.cirlinca.com/welcome.htm> and you have installed the trial-version (I suggest going directly to the Beta 1.08) do the following:

1. Use DVD-Audio Solo Beta v1.0.8 to Write/Save the project to your hard-drive. Make sure that the correct DVD writer drive is selected in the "Select a DVD drive" box.

2. Save the DVD disc image to an ISO file.

3. Use Nero (or other DVD writing application) to write the ISO file to a DVD-R/RW disc.

4. The resulting DVD-A will play in your TL’s player. My TL is an ‘04.

5. Depending on your burner, you may be able to create a DVD-A disc directly, without having to save to an ISO file first. My burner is the OEM burner that came with my Dell 9100 about 6 months ago.

Please be aware that for this type of money DVD-A Solo does not convert stereo track to multi-channel track, but it does support multi-channel (up to 6 channel) audio tracks in wav and aiff formats, all channels in one file or in a set of mono channel files. If you want true 5.1 DVD-A authoring tools they will run into A LOT more money.

I have no financial interest in or from Cirlinca.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:17 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Yes, it is very good and a great bargain.
But it's also been discussed much already in multiple threads.

I think this one started it but I may be wrong.
https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/i-need-some-living-situation-advice-123681/

For plain stereo there's always my scripts for free. I also use Solo for when I need multichannel support.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:32 PM
Young Again!

Originally Posted by Adobeman
Yes, it is very good and a great bargain.
But it's also been discussed much already in multiple threads.
So sorry. I got so excited making my first DVD-A that I completely forgot Rule No.1 of participation in Forums: do a search before you post.

I apologize.

Now if only I could learn how to make multi-channel DVD-As out of stereo CDs.....
Old 02-16-2006, 06:02 PM
10th Gear

I keep getting a pop up that says i dont have a dvd burner when i select the DVD button which lets me set the drive. Am I doing something wrong? (yes I have a dvd burner)
Old 02-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by turbod16
I keep getting a pop up that says i dont have a dvd burner when i select the DVD button which lets me set the drive. Am I doing something wrong? (yes I have a dvd burner)

My experience is that you're better off using DVD Audio Solo to just create an .ISO file then use your buring software to do the actual burn, much more reliable.

After the iso file is create just rigt click it and choose open using...(whatever burning software you use).

Try it out, I think you'll prefer it this way.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AJRozsa
So sorry. I got so excited making my first DVD-A that I completely forgot Rule No.1 of participation in Forums: do a search before you post.

I apologize.

Now if only I could learn how to make multi-channel DVD-As out of stereo CDs.....
You'll need a multi channel source i.e. music dvd, DTS. Check out this thread and it should give you an idea of how it's done and what you need as far as apps.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:01 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Maybe I am dumb, but Not sure what the point is of this - the whole "practical advantage" of hi-rez formats is their wider bandwidth. Unless your firmware and software are also 24bit/192kHz and/or 5.1, why bother? Is it to get extended amount of play time?

There is a difference between a "DVD-Audio disc" and a DVD-Audio system compatible disc. A DVD-Audio disc will be 2 or more channels of 24 bit digiaudio sampling at 192kHz/second. A CD is 16/44.1k, and upsampled to boot. Unless one is doing an apples to apples transfer, one is throwing S/N ("bits") and bandwidth (sampling rate). Paying someone to do that for ya seems like money down the drain, unless I am missing the point dreadfully.

I have done a lot of technical analysis of "hi rez", and condlude it is marginally better or not better than CD systems, other than the discrete surround potential.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:27 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

Road Rage, I think there is a (limited) number of music DVD-V with 5.1 tracks. Cirlinca is a one part of the software suite needed to convert these tracks for DVD-Audio playable in TL.
Converting CDs to DVD-A will not give any fidelity advantages, but it is possible to record up to 99 tracks on a single disk. Script, written by Adobeman is the perfect tool to do it.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:03 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Rage
Maybe I am dumb, but Not sure what the point is of this - the whole "practical advantage" of hi-rez formats is their wider bandwidth. Unless your firmware and software are also 24bit/192kHz and/or 5.1, why bother? Is it to get extended amount of play time?

There is a difference between a "DVD-Audio disc" and a DVD-Audio system compatible disc. A DVD-Audio disc will be 2 or more channels of 24 bit digiaudio sampling at 192kHz/second. A CD is 16/44.1k, and upsampled to boot. Unless one is doing an apples to apples transfer, one is throwing S/N ("bits") and bandwidth (sampling rate). Paying someone to do that for ya seems like money down the drain, unless I am missing the point dreadfully.

I have done a lot of technical analysis of "hi rez", and condlude it is marginally better or not better than CD systems, other than the discrete surround potential.
Your not dumb. That's been proven many times on this board.

Here is my "put" on it.

The DVDA standards allow for quite a bit of options.

1) CD on DVDA. It just allows you to put a whole lot of CD quality music on a single disk. Typically one does not alter the 44.1k/16 source. Cirlinca's tool does allow you to up-sample but I agree that there is not enough gain to make it worth while. It just eats up space.

2) DVDV transferred to DVDA. For a well mastered multichannel source this can be quite impressive. Once again, DVDA is flexible enough to take this on. Typically I will use 48K/16bit per channel and use 6 channels. This is usually what most DVDV decoding programs will output. Again, no need to up-sample. What you get is a disc that can sound remarkably good in the car. The key is that the source needs to be good. That can be tough to find since many concerts on DVDV have really lousy multichannel tracks. Oddly, it is the soundtrack used on closing credits of a movie that can sound the best. I know it sounds corny, but the closing credits of Pirates of the Caribbean and Finding Nemo sound awesome. I did them as a "test" of Cirlinca's tool and everyone loves it.

3) Full 96K/24 bit with MLP. I never make files like this myself but the commercially produced disks can really quite stunning. Could they be released at a lower sampling rate or bit depth? Sure, especially if it is old stuff being re-released. Could we tell the difference ? Probably not. I fear economics still dictates how much music you can get on a disc. You can fit a typical "CD worth" of content onto a 6 channel, 96K disc so I don't see any incentive for the marketers to change. I guess I don't want them too either. It is all too often we get quantity in lieu of quality.

Up-sampling is pretty much not interesting to me with audio. It just seems like the process makes something up that is very subtle. And, there is no reason to "bake" into the source since it can be done at the time of playback by the player. Ultimately that may be more flexible. As an aside, with video it is a different story. As displays quickly move way beyond "DVD quality" up-sampling can make a difference in "apparent quality" It isn't really better, it just doesn't look as bad as it otherwise would have. And line doubling (like DCDi) can really spice things up. I don't know of a parallel for audio. I've never liked any of the "psycho-acoustic mumbo jumbo stuff" I've heard.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:05 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

I doubt that upsampling makes any sense. All decent D/A converters in CD/DVD players use oversampling during the decode, and the result is the same as upsampled recording.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:14 PM
Young Again!

Originally Posted by gt1
I doubt that upsampling makes any sense. All decent D/A converters in CD/DVD players use oversampling during the decode, and the result is the same as upsampled recording.
You know how much better your car seems to run just after you washed and waxed it? Well, when I take a bunch of my CDs, process the tracks, burn them to a DVD using Cirlinca’s DVD-Audio Solo, and play them in my TL's DVD-A player it sure does sound better than just simply playing CDs. I am not going to go into a treatise on the psychophysics of audition, but it suffices to say that all perceptions, by definition, are what your mind makes of what the sensory system transmits. So, whether I am deluding myself or not, AFAIAC, it all comes down to the big grin on my face as I drive to work listening to 75 tracks of Yello on a single DVD. Of course, your mileage (sic!) may vary.

As an aside, if one really wanted to, with the tools discussed here, within the TL Community and several pro and semi-pro forums to which I was directed, one COULD produce nearly commercial quality DVD-As.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:56 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
If anybody has a spare 10 grand, I believe you can get a true DVD-A quality creator from this company:

http://www.sonic.com/products/Professional/DVDA/
Old 02-24-2006, 12:46 AM
Young Again!

Originally Posted by leedogg
If anybody has a spare 10 grand, I believe you can get a true DVD-A quality creator from this company:

http://www.sonic.com/products/Professional/DVDA/
Do not lead us unto temptation, oh, Satan.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:28 PM
I've been Canonized ;)

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Just did the trial version and made 3 dvds. Played a little bit with settings and am very pleased with the results. Most likely will purchase it, to make more from iTunes library.